Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering of that faint metallic squealing noise somewhere at front side of car but could not figure out what it was until i was in passenger seat with wife driving it. It came from inside of front dash, more pronounced on the passenger side for sure. I was able to eliminate the nose by turning the fan off, and noise returned when turning fan on.

I am used to this noise in my then 20+ years old Milano/75... but on a 2020 Giulia QV...

Anyone else? Quick fix? before I bring it in to the next service, not urgent.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I've been wondering of that faint metallic squealing noise somewhere at front side of car but could not figure out what it was until i was in passenger seat with wife driving it. It came from inside of front dash, more pronounced on the passenger side for sure. I was able to eliminate the nose by turning the fan off, and noise returned when turning fan on.

I am used to this noise in my then 20+ years old Milano/75... but on a 2020 Giulia QV...

Thanks!
I recall on earlier models some people were able to resolve a fan noise by running the fan at highest speed for 5 minutes or more. Worth a try.

Reactions: milanojess

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had it on my 2017. It sounds like the blower motor. I would bring the issue up next time you visit the dealer. Make sure you leave the car and fan running so the service advisor can observe the noise. They should warranty it. If they don‘t hear it or can reproduce the noise they won’t warranty it.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Super Veloce - 1973 C110 Skyline - 1977 Datsun 810 SSS - 1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
219 Posts
Yes fairly common on the earlier cars.

I managed to record mine as it was easily repeatable, Alfa replaced the Fan without protest.

·
Registered
618 Posts
When I read about this or that sound in our Alfa's, it reminds me that there are very few benefits to my substantial hearing loss. I just don't hear many sounds in our cars, or out and about or when my family talks to me when I cannot look directly at them. Of course, every other guy with a hearing loss tells me the same thing, that their wives think hearing aids make our hearing all normal again.

Not long ago, missing so much of the sound and speech from our TV, I bought a new one with BluTooth, and have wireless headphones, and now understand so much more of what is happening on the screen. I can adjust may own volume, and my wife can use the surround system anyway she wants. By the way, when other Alfa owners complain about the sound quality of their Alfa systems, I just shrug my shoulders as it just doesn't matter to me. I am used to the tinnitus that goes along with hearing loss. Too much time around gunfire and explosions, I guess.

NV

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone’s inputs! I am certainly going to make sure it’s making noise when arriving for service ;)

While I am sensitive to certain noises, car audio isn’t much on my priority list either. If want to listen good music, I do it at home with a pair of good speakers, good dac and amp and some HD audio sources to go with ;)

Same goes with coffee ;) it’s just not something to be enjoyed while driving ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks everyone’s inputs! I am certainly going to make sure it’s making noise when arriving for service ;)

While I am sensitive to certain noises, car audio isn’t much on my priority list either. If want to listen good music, I do it at home with a pair of good speakers, good dac and amp and some HD audio sources to go with ;)

I have seen a few fans make a high-pitched squeal noise, I've probably replaced four or five for this. However, what is far more common is you could have one of the vents slightly closed or completely closed. Doing this will also cause a whistle related to fan speed.

·
Vendor
1,223 Posts

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know when you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
66 Posts
My passenger side vent seems to make the squealing noise, went away during warm weather but now back in the cold it seems, must be related to AC setting I use. Does replacing the fan require tearing apart everything to get to it, or is it a clean job that shouldn't make a mess if I get a tech not familiar with alfas?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know when you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
AlfaRomeoCares
Following up on this. The fan was making noise the day before scheduled service.
The fan was quiet, however, on the day I brought the car in.
They spend some time, tried different speeds, fan was quiet.

oh well i am sure the noise will come back on the way home from picking up the car tomorrow.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, it is an intermittent problem that seems to depend on weather and auto-setting on mine. I tried the high temp/max fan for 5 minutes trick and so far haven't noticed it much, but haven't driven much and not sure if all conditions are the same.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Thanks!
I had a Milano. The 3.0 liter. Climate controls were for s##t, but the engine and 5 speed manual were ti#ts. Bought it in salt lake in 88 and was a great car for the road, but my friends only looked at the u bus hand brake. Good memories.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
507 Posts
I had a Milano. The 3.0 liter. Climate controls were for s##t, but the engine and 5 speed manual were ti#ts. Bought it in salt lake in 88 and was a great car for the road, but my friends only looked at the u bus hand brake. Good memories.
I don't know, my Milano Verde had awesome A/C and I loved how I could run the heater and A/C at the same time to defrost quickly. I miss that car. Biggest issue I had with it was an overheating ABS pump that would lead to a loss of brake assist. Major issue with older Milanos...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine was metallic gray as well. My issue was that the temp lever never wanted to go all the way to hot, only maybe 3/4. Badly twisted cable. And I had to get the fan on high, then step down to lower speeds.

Abs, yes, along with the rear dif on mine.

That, and of course everyone thought it got hit from behind.;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, the noise hasn't come back... it's just one of those time when car behaves perfectly the moment you are taking it to the shop. Fingers crossed.

re Milano, I never thought of it being bad. It worked fine in midwest winter and socal summer. The ABS pump, yes it did overheat on those 90 degree days and stop n go traffic, but I fixed that with heat shield to block off heat soak from engine/exhaust, also a pipe to run cold air from near headlight. ABS had been non issue until wheel sensor pickup went bad. Mine also had about 270k miles when I let it go, it was running strong still. Many of those miles were on track with AROSC :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
So, the noise hasn't come back... it's just one of those time when car behaves perfectly the moment you are taking it to the shop. Fingers crossed.

re Milano, I never thought of it being bad. It worked fine in midwest winter and socal summer. The ABS pump, yes it did overheat on those 90 degree days and stop n go traffic, but I fixed that with heat shield to block off heat soak from engine/exhaust, also a pipe to run cold air from near headlight. ABS had been non issue until wheel sensor pickup went bad. Mine also had about 270k miles when I let it go, it was running strong still. Many of those miles were on track with AROSC :)
I loved my Alfa. If I didn't I wouldn't be here.

Now, if they could get Kimi a better car.....

·
Vendor
1,223 Posts
Following up on this. The fan was making noise the day before scheduled service.
The fan was quiet, however, on the day I brought the car in.
They spend some time, tried different speeds, fan was quiet.

oh well i am sure the noise will come back on the way home from picking up the car tomorrow.
Please keep me updated!

Alison
Alfa Romeo Cares

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I loved my Alfa. If I didn't I wouldn't be here.

Now, if they could get Kimi a better car.....
off topic, but if anyone seen that shell/top gear vid where James May showed up in a Ferrari Speciale and Richard Hammond ... a ford cortina? anyways, at shell station was Sebastian Vettel standing next to .. a Quadrifoglio!? i didn't get a good look but if anyone has more definitive answer :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts