Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,596 Posts
There's certainly not irrational wanting a spare tire in a car with conventional rubber (i.e. go flats), regardless of how infrequently one may get a flat tire, or how far from home one is. A goflat cannot be safely driven while flat nor driven without damaging the rim, so the only other options, other than a spare, are to attempt to patch and reinflate, or call for a tow. It's a shame to have to state the obvious here, but the only surefire way to get back on the road, regardless of the type and extent of the damage to the tire, is to put on a spare.

That said, the costs to running a spare in the Giulia are substantial, not just monetarily for the required equipment, but given that all that stuff takes up space in the trunk, you probably have opportunity costs in allocating the space that way, though perhaps not. Finally, you have to be willing to put up with the hassle of doing so, or come up with a way to make it not a hassle (e.g. tie downs to prevent bouncing/sliding/banging).

Run-flats are really a very good solution to the problems of flat tires, offering virtually no downsides for the vast majority of drivers or conditions. The biggest drawback would be cost and availability at this point, although obviously folks unwilling to foot a $250 tire cost probably would have been wiser to not purchase a $40k performance car in the first place, but I realize to each their own.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That said, the costs to running a spare in the Giulia are substantial, not just monetarily for the required equipment, but given that all that stuff takes up space in the trunk, you probably have opportunity costs in allocating the space that way, though perhaps not.
The real engineering miracle here is that the Giulia has forgone a spare tire yet still manages to have a smaller trunk than an Audi A4, which has one, and that car is only 3 inches longer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The real engineering miracle here is that the Giulia has forgone a spare tire yet still manages to have a smaller trunk than an Audi A4, which has one, and that car is only 3 inches longer.
I'm just playin': Audi needs that spare tire in order to fix their 80/20 weight distribution :)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
IMO, the small trunk is a consequence of RWD plus rear wheel wells that can accommodate 285 width tires plus high performance suspension.
My Mazda Protege has more trunk space than my Giulia, and the Protege is a smaller car. The Protege also has relatively narrow tires, no rear differential, and nearly no sound deadening.

There is a price to be paid for performance, and some of that price comes in the form of used up space.

Reactions: Il_Conte

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
I'm just playin': Audi needs that spare tire in order to fix their 80/20 weight distribution :)
On that weight distribution topic and Audi... my buddy had his best lap time in his TT RS when my wife was a passenger. He said that he'd take it easy on her. LOL

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
2,059 Posts
update on this conundrum

Stelvio have a space-saver option, perhaps it may be an aftermarket interchageable mod that may be able to be retro fitted to Giulia

https://carsguide-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/f_auto,fl_lossy,q_auto,t_cg_hero_large/v1/editorial/2019-Alfa-Romeo-Stelvio-Ti-red-1200x800%20%2829%29.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,735 Posts
Reactions: SirRog

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
41 - 56 of 56 Posts