Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide whether or not to get a Giulia and am trying to figure out whether or not it's a deal breaker for me not to have a spare tire in the car. I live in a relatively urban area with a lot of construction debris and potholes so sudden tire deflation aren't that uncommon, but I've probably only needed to actually utilize my spare tires every few years or so.

What do you guys think about this? Has this ever left you stranded? Are there any compact spare options?

If this is a commonly discussed topic I apologize!

·
Registered
608 Posts
The Giulia's come with run flats. Some people including me use regular go flats with a portable compressor and plug kit in the trunk. Won't save you from a pothole slice or blowout but then there is tire damage a run flat won't save you from. Other folks have regular tires and figure the best precaution is a AAA card and cell phone. If your prepared to give up the trunk space I believe there is at least on person on the forum who carries a space saver, probably one from a Stelvio. So plenty of options for you to choose from just depends on what you feel the most comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I am trying to decide whether or not to get a Giulia and am trying to figure out whether or not it's a deal breaker for me not to have a spare tire in the car. I live in a relatively urban area with a lot of construction debris and potholes so sudden tire deflation aren't that uncommon, but I've probably only needed to actually utilize my spare tires every few years or so.

What do you guys think about this? Has this ever left you stranded? Are there any compact spare options?

Let me ask you, when was the last time you had a flat?
How often do you get flats?

Yes, I would prefer to have five matching tires and wheels. A space-saver is not a valid option in my opinion as there would be no place to hold the full sized wheel when needed. Not to mention that I can't drive 'normally' using a space-saver.

The actual last flat I had, never even went flat. My old truck separated the tread. The tires were 15 years old and I was actually on my way to the tire store to get new tires. This was just a few months ago. I was able to drive into the shop, somewhat slowly.

About a year ago, one rear tire on our new Giulia went flat. Turns out the rear alignment was off and both rears wore out in just 5,000 miles. We wore a hole in the tire, the other tire had just a few miles to go. We have 10,000++ on the new rears without any issues. And a full alignment.

I have 32,000 miles on my 4C. She's on her second set of tires and never an issue (with the tires).

I think I did run over a nail about ten years ago in the truck. I don't recall what I did then, except the flat got fixed. I carry a real spare and tools in my work truck, so I probably changed the tire and kept going.

My wife insists that we have AAA membership. In the 20 years I've know her, we've used their roadside assistance many, many times, but only once for a flat. The one flat was the above mentioned Giulia issue. My truck has been hauled more times than I want to admit. My 4C has been hauled way to many times. Her Fiat has been hauled once that I can think of.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
and there is also Alfa Roadside assistance during the warranty period.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
and there is also Alfa Roadside assistance during the warranty period.

This plus the fact that most auto insurances now have roadside assistance as well as towing programs, it's not a big concern. To add to this, if you get a flat and you need a new tire, driving on a donut in a high performance vehicle like a Giulia is not ideal for the suspension or alignment. Run flats give you a decent enough distance that you'd be able to get to a tire shop. Also, if you have a good tire chain you use (Big O, Les Schwab, Firestone, Goodyear, etc.), many of those places offer free repairs for regular customers.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
does ANYONE still give full spares???? best you can hope for is a space-saving doughnut...
moreover I'm fairly certain than any brand giving your car run-flats as OEM, does not come with a spare or mobility kit (aka tire-goo) LOL

BUY THE CAR, the driving pleasure you get from it will fair outway that once in a blue-moon flat...
Just Do It!

·
Registered
51 Posts

I don't think a spare is a deal breaker. I've had one puncture with a slow leak, managed to fill it back up with air and drive to service to get it patched. Just as you would have a spacesaver, max speed on these run-flats which are flat is 50mph (don't quote me). There is no getting stranded, you can still drive on the tire for a limited number of miles.

As others have said, it's getting rare to get a spare these days, a lot of cars have run-flats, a full spare will add weight and negatively impact performance and fuel economy.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Giulia's traction control system will not let you drive unless the wheels are all (close to) the same diameter, creating a problem for using a compact spare. Some Porches use a folding spare to get a reduced diameter storage spare that expands to full size; I do not know if these are still in use. They have to be stored deflated, so a pump is needed.

Some while ago I made the mistake of saying that I had not gotten a flat since 1982. Then I got a puncture in one of my brand new (less than 500 miles on it) Michelin tires on Giulia--a screw through the sidewall yet, ruining the tire. Even though I had a leak, I did not have a flat because it was leaking slowly and I got early warning of the leak from the TPMS. Although it has its flaws, the TPMS with infotainment readout is a huge improvement in tire maintenance and will give you an early warning of most leaks so that you can get a repair done before you have a flat.

FWIW: I replaced the run flats with non-run flats and bought a flat fix kit. I have AAA, but have found it to be of limited use on the roads and during the times that I most frequently drive. OTOH my driving habits are certainly not "normal".

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't know the car comes with run flats. Any thoughts on how these tires perform in the long run?

Last time I had a flat was about 3 months ago. I was able to find a pump to fill up the tire but was lucky it was just a slow leak. In some cases I've had pretty severe leaks where the tire is completely flat.

I did have an incident two years ago where I had a tire blowout due to a pothole, and I couldn't get the lug nuts off because they were seized. Then I took it to a shop where it spent a week getting all sorts of stuff replaced for a total of $5000 (they had to destroy my wheel and hub), but I'm pretty sure they were just incompetent.

I think the main reason I'd want a spare is so that I have some time to arrange for an identical replacement tire to whatever is already on the car. In past experience tire shops rarely have the tire I need in stock. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to keep two extra tires in my shed. And just rely on roadside service

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Giulia's traction control system will not let you drive unless the wheels are all (close to) the same diameter, creating a problem for using a compact spare. Some Porches use a folding spare to get a reduced diameter storage spare that expands to full size; I do not know if these are still in use. They have to be stored deflated, so a pump is needed.

Some while ago I made the mistake of saying that I had not gotten a flat since 1982. Then I got a puncture in one of my brand new (less than 500 miles on it) Michelin tires on Giulia--a screw through the sidewall yet, ruining the tire. Even though I had a leak, I did not have a flat because it was leaking slowly and I got early warning of the leak from the TPMS. Although it has its flaws, the TPMS with infotainment readout is a huge improvement in tire maintenance and will give you an early warning of most leaks so that you can get a repair done before you have a flat.

FWIW: I replaced the run flats with non-run flats and bought a flat fix kit. I have AAA, but have found it to be of limited use on the roads and during the times that I most frequently drive. OTOH my driving habits are certainly not "normal".
We’ve been driving my wife’s Q5 for almost 6 years not realizing the compact spare was of the folding variety, and of course we have never had a pump on board. Discovered this only a few weeks ago when I decided to check to see if the spare was properly inflated....talk about dead weight.....oh well.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed on the cell phone and tow. However, have you had trouble with shops who do not have your tire in stock (I suppose you could always go to the dealer) ? What if it happens after normal business hours?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'd strongly prefer a small-sized spare to AAA or Alfa Roadside or any of those options which typically take an hour or more to get to you. With a spare, I'm on my way in 20 minutes. Also, AAA/Roadside Assist can't do anything with a blowout.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Agreed on the cell phone and tow. However, have you had trouble with shops who do not have your tire in stock (I suppose you could always go to the dealer) ? What if it happens after normal business hours?

We would need to get a spare to get us home or have the tow transport to the nearest facility. I did ask about that. We have CCMS and with the jack points you couldn’t use a standard jack and you want a careful tech to be careful with the calipers. QV PZeros are just not stocked in the valley except the dealership was able to get one in a couple hours. I honestly have not heard anyone complain about being stuck in the boondocks. They may have had to wait a couple hours for a specialty tow.

Worse case they tow her back to the home base. There is no Alfa Romeo mechanics outside of the valley so they would have no choice but to tow and it would be on Alfa.

To be honest that is not something I lose sleep over.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I didn't know the car comes with run flats. Any thoughts on how these tires perform in the long run?

Last time I had a flat was about 3 months ago. I was able to find a pump to fill up the tire but was lucky it was just a slow leak. In some cases I've had pretty severe leaks where the tire is completely flat.

I did have an incident two years ago where I had a tire blowout due to a pothole, and I couldn't get the lug nuts off because they were seized. Then I took it to a shop where it spent a week getting all sorts of stuff replaced for a total of $5000 (they had to destroy my wheel and hub), but I'm pretty sure they were just incompetent.

I think the main reason I'd want a spare is so that I have some time to arrange for an identical replacement tire to whatever is already on the car. In past experience tire shops rarely have the tire I need in stock. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to keep two extra tires in my shed. And just rely on roadside service
Just to be clear, 4 cylinder models come with run flats, the QV comes with a flat fix kit. Run flats do impact handling.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Harder to find vehicles with spare tires nowadays any way. weight savings and MPG requirements force companies to lean towards run flats where possible. No spare saves 22 lbs in the trunk along with the cost associated with that. The Wife's MB had run flats on it and we haven't had an issue. My old BMW had em. Kept a cheap $30 inflator in the trunk.

Really the only time a spare comes into play is a blowout. Most of the time for me it's a slow leak that is filled and leaks again resulting in me going to the tire store to replace the tire.

I will say though most places I have found here in Texas won't repair run flat tires so if you get a simple leak caused by a stray nail or screw it usually means a new tire. That is an advantage of the non run flat versions. Run flats are also more expensive compared to the non run flat variety.

Is it a deal breaker. Well, that is up to the individual. For me... No it is not

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aren't run flat tires heavier than regular tires? Plus they are unsprung weight. I would think that they'd have a bigger impact on performance and fuel economy. than just having a spare tire in the trunk.

Interesting that run flats are generally non-repairable. Doesn't surprise me!

What about the inflators with the can of goop. I've always heard that these ruin the tire and renders it non-repairable. Is that true?

·
Registered
767 Posts
The 19” Cinturato P7 RFT’s that came with my Q4 ti seem to be just fine for normal and spirited every day driving. While they may not be as good as go flats at the cars limits I believe that they are a decent compromise.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Aren't run flat tires heavier than regular tires? Plus they are unsprung weight. I would think that they'd have a bigger impact on performance and fuel economy. than just having a spare tire in the trunk.

Interesting that run flats are generally non-repairable. Doesn't surprise me!

What about the inflators with the can of goop. I've always heard that these ruin the tire and renders it non-repairable. Is that true?
When run flats first came out manufacturers suggested they not be repaired. However now run flats are generally just as repairable as regular tired. Repairable if the puncture is in the tread area and not repairable if it is on or near the sidewall.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts