Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
41 - 60 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
We are waiting for the part to ship from Garret, look like its about 2 weeks out.
We will likely have to use a much smaller turbine wheel to fit the oem turbine housing.

I figured since you are using a borg warner turbo you might have some insite on the oil feed lines and how they were fabricated.
This is main sentence... smaller turbine wheel.... it means No good result... easier will be made hybrid.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G996B przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,423 Posts
In other words. Go regular hybrid and you get olug and play completely stock hookup snd exterior appearance and maybe 375bhp on 93 octane.

Go fancy dancy hybrid and spend hours hacking shit up and having to rebuy components thatvdont work together for maybe 380chp

Go full frame turbo and make 500bhp for 50rpm right before redline cuts you off lol

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
this is the reason why the performance Alfa guys who are putting their money where their
Mouth is are keeping it all a secret from forum.
too many Mario Andretti who comment on every aspect of car except actually doing it. Wonder why the aftermarket is scarce. Too many beta Alfa owners. @Tekgnome I wouldn’t post any info until you get it working. You’ll save yourself some aggravation. Only a few forum members can be trusted with this stuff anyway. The rest just cry and pretend to act like they care but only troll. Asking about carb compliant on a stage 3 car is like asking about vaccine status at a whore house.
I figured I'd share as I go. Its a learning process and there's almost zero information on hybrid support.

I don't mind sharing information, people can do with it what they want and decide if its what they are looking for. I hope my endeavors will eventually help out people like @JeFizz who expresses interest in a aftermarket solution but wants to see how it pans out first. Aftermarket support ultimately will only become a thing if information is shared and we have solid information on what works and what wont.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
In other words. Go regular hybrid and you get olug and play completely stock hookup snd exterior appearance and maybe 375bhp on 93 octane.

Go fancy dancy hybrid and spend hours hacking shit up and having to rebuy components thatvdont work together for maybe 380chp

Go full frame turbo and make 500bhp for 50rpm right before redline cuts you off lol
i would cut that snail open. Throw the biggest wheels in that are 1to1 and weld it shut. It’s an easy enough to access turbo that if it does leak at weld it’s easy repair. Like the Audi. 👍🏻

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I figured I'd share as I go. Its a learning process and there's almost zero information on hybrid support.

I don't mind sharing information, people can do with it what they want and decide if its what they are looking for. I hope my endeavors will eventually help out people like @JeFizz who expresses interest in a aftermarket solution but wants to see how it pans out first. Aftermarket support ultimately will only become a thing if information is shared and we have solid information on what works and what wont.
i am rooting for you. Many are not. Stay the course. If you get to 370whp and the thing runs [email protected] it’s a victory. Many will only see that you didn’t hit 400whp. Just stay the course.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

I'm sure there's a in-between to be had.

The turbo shop is confident they can cut out enough material for a slightly larger turbine wheel, pair that with a ball bearing unit for faster spool times and a spicy compressor wheel and you'll have a combination that could potentially make 450chp

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,291 Posts
i am rooting for you. Many are not. Stay the course. If you get to 370whp and the thing runs [email protected] it’s a victory. Many will only see that you didn’t hit 400whp. Just stay the course.
This. It's a cheap upgrade to get a potential 90CHP out of it.

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Registered
4,161 Posts

The turbo shop is confident they can cut out enough material for a slightly larger turbine wheel, pair that with a ball bearing unit for faster spool times and a spicy compressor wheel and you'll have a combinations that could potentially make 450chp
i know they are two different cars and turbos but what we ran into is the turbine wheel was too small for the larger compressor wheel. We would ramp up fast then dip at about 6000 rpm then shoot back up. We hit 600whp with the dip. Tries everything. Wastegate. Wastegate actuator.BOV. Fuel. Clipped fin turbine. In the end the turbine wheel too small. Had to go larger to get a closer 1-1 ratio. 6 months. 3 sets of turbos to get here. I hope you fair much better cugine.

edit. We even had valve float.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
This. It's a cheap upgrade to get a potential 90CHP out of it.
It certainly beats buying a QV and ive got less weight over my front wheels, awd, and a lsd 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

The turbo shop is confident they can cut out enough material for a slightly larger turbine wheel, pair that with a ball bearing unit for faster spool times and a spicy compressor wheel and you'll have a combination that could potentially make 450chp
I hope there is. Give it all ya got

·
Registered
606 Posts

You dont know how many fuel is in engine.... maybe only for 375ps.... turbo is only one part of this ....

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
i know they are two different cars and turbos but what we ran into is the turbine wheel was too small for the larger compressor wheel. We would ramp up fast then dip at about 6000 rpm then shoot back up. We hit 600whp with the dip. Tries everything. Wastegate. Wastegate actuator.BOV. Fuel. Clipped fin turbine. In the end the turbine wheel too small. Had to go larger to get a closer 1-1 ratio. 6 months. 3 sets of turbos to get here. I hope you fair much better cugine.

edit. We even had valve float.
See, this is constructful advice. I can relay this to the shop, he likely knows to make sure the turbo has a good efficiency range but its something to keep in mind.

I know that if we cant get a larger hot side wheel in the oem turbine housing then we will likely move to a gtx28 turbine housing and make an adapter plate to bolt to the manifold. This is a worst case scenario as it would also mean id have to fab another downpipe. I just made a downpipe last year and it isn't awful to have done, about $80 + a couple of o2 fittings.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,291 Posts
just be careful you don’t run into the wrong QV 😂
He's not building a QV slayer by any means, and I really don't think any of us expect it. Closer? Sure. Cheaper? You know it. :D

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
You dont know how many fuel is in engine.... maybe only for 375ps.... turbo is only one part of this ....

Have you messed with trying to get more than a lousy 2 degrees timing advance out of this thing yet?

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
just be careful you don’t run into the wrong QV 😂
There's always a faster car. 400ish hp is more than good enough for me. 💪

I'm not even after the title of fastest 2.0, I just want something a bit more punchy and I like modifying cars 😂

·
Registered
606 Posts
Have you messed with trying to get more than a lousy 2 degrees timing advance out of this thing yet?
Today we are going to try put some more ignition. Timing in 2.0l is veeeery loooow.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·

I'm excited to see when or if you hit a fuel limit.

As far as I understand there is no aftermarket injectors or any way to increase stock fuel pressure?

·
Registered
[email protected]faphilly215
4,161 Posts
See, this is constructful advice. I can relay this to the shop, he likely knows to make sure the turbo has a good efficiency range but its something to keep in mind.

I know that if we cant get a larger hot side wheel in the oem turbine housing then we will likely move to a gtx28 turbine housing and make an adapter plate to bolt to the manifold. This is a worst case scenario as it would also mean id have to fab another downpipe. I just made a downpipe last year and it isn't awful to have done, about $80 + a couple of o2 fittings.
also we were at 95% duty cycle on one turbo and 85% on the other before wheel swap. Your guy will know when it’s right. Not sure how you will know this without a dyno or alien tech etc. but maybe jb4 will log it. Should be around 80% or less.

41 - 60 of 357 Posts