Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I'm not sure you'll hear it at idle without a pod filter. I have a k&n box filter and my idle sounds completely stock. Under load I get a very tiny bit more sound, but the stock intake just dampens all the sounds so well. :(
With a pod filter you'd absolutely hear it at idle lol
Ball bearing units are glorious, this one being tiny will spool so dang quick.....
im rooting for you.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
I'm not sure how CARB works. When he asked about carb I thought he was talking about passing an emissions test.

From an emissions standpoint I wouldn't see why a stock car with a hybrid turbo running factory boost levels would fail. My state doesn't do emissions testing at all, so I'll likely be installing a catless downpipe.

As far as carb someone else will need to try that rabbit hole. If someone was really wanting to modify their car and they live in California it might be best to register the car in a county that doesn't do visual inspections and or emissions testing at all.
CARB is a government agency that produces rules.
Some California smog tests run the car on a dynamometer, so it is possible if unlikely that a change in turbo behavior would be detected.
I do not think they take anything apart, so it also seems unlikely that they would see that the internal components of the turbo have been altered.
My car is registered in a county that does not have smog testing except when the car is sold. The populations of said counties is pretty small.

Running catless literally kills people via smog. Many a study have shown that catless==a lot more smog and separately more smog==more people (mostly with breathing problems) dying.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
CARB is a government agency that produces rules.
Some California smog tests run the car on a dynamometer, so it is possible if unlikely that a change in turbo behavior would be detected.
I do not think they take anything apart, so it also seems unlikely that they would see that the internal components of the turbo have been altered.
My car is registered in a county that does not have smog testing except when the car is sold. The populations of said counties is pretty small.

Running catless literally kills people via smog. Many a study have shown that catless==a lot more smog and separately more smog==more people (mostly with breathing problems) dying.
I'll be honest, if I cared about the environment or pollution id ride a bicycle to work.

Few of my other sports cars have had a cat and this one wont be an exception 🤷‍♂️ When my cats go bad in my other cars I'll be cutting them out too.

I'm not a legal or moral advisor, so I recommend to follow the law and do what keeps you sleeping good at night. I know I sleep great :D

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
This post is missing context as posts were deleted

Well then, for anyone else reading through this thread, let me be clear.

Run a cat or go cat less, i don't care.
I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Check local laws and regulations 🤷‍♂️
Unless someone is going to send me one for free, I have no interest in a downpipe with a cat.
Ive seen tons of old school v8's, rat rods, and tuner cars with no cats and I didn't once think that they were a " douche"💪

This thread is about turbo's not the moral implication of combustion gases with out a cat:)

So back on topic

After @Crosshairs helped me out (Thank you!) It looks like at some point both oil lines and both coolant lines use a flex hose that can be cut in to and a barb used to splice in to the stock lines.
Not as elegant as using the stock CHRA but at least this gives us the ability to more easily use ball bearing cores.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just ordered a spare oil feed line to inspect and cut up.

I can't see down inside mine and I don't want to disassemble my Giulia until I have my new turbo in hand.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Excited to see how this turns out
Me too!

Now that there are a few of us venturing in to the unknown we can finally track down a turbo combination that works.

Im planning to share everything I learn as I go here to help as many people as possible.

The idea is that others who want a hybrid can follow in my steps, well at least what actually works.

@JeFizz I scheduled with a exhaust shop next week to install my electric cutout. When it's up on the lift I'm going to run my water line for the water meth.

I've got some cool ideas in the works including wiring up my DNA selector to open the cutout in D mode and close it in N & A.

I should probably start a seperate thread on that and dump all the wiring diagrams for any who may want to venture down that path.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Q2
10 Posts
Me too!

Now that there are a few of us venturing in to the unknown we can finally track down a turbo combination that works.

Im planning to share everything I learn as I go here to help as many people as possible.
I'm really looking forward to see what's in the works for this beaut! I fantasize our 4-cylinders putting down QV numbers and having cheaper/easier maintenance, all while preserving the quickness and handling capabilities.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
@bhvrdr I'm almost sure both turbo coolant lines have a barb so splicing in to the water line for a aftermarket turbo core will be pretty straight forward.

6an (or whatever connects to the turbo) > braided line > barb/beaded fitting

·
Registered
605 Posts
I cant see under the aluminum shield for the feed line, so I'm not 100% sure its a barbed end(or beaded or whatever anyone wants to call it ). I have a feed line on the way that I can cut apart and look at.
View attachment 114850

It would be a huge help if @kozak shared how he made his feed and drain lines and had some pictures of them.
To hybrid you dont need to change anything

Wysłane z mojego SM-G996B przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,215 Posts
Moved oil line BS debate to a dedicated topic.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,368 Posts
@bhvrdr I'm almost sure both turbo coolant lines have a barb so splicing in to the water line for a aftermarket turbo core will be pretty straight forward.

6an (or whatever connects to the turbo) > braided line > barb/beaded fitting
Both coolant lines do

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
To hybrid you dont need to change anything

We are trying to use a GTX2867R core. It uses a 4an feed, two bolt drain, and 6an water inlet/outlet

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ah, Everything got really weird there for a second when I was replying.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Did you check will it fit into original turbo hot side ?

We are waiting for the part to ship from Garrett, looks like its about 2 weeks out.
We will likely have to use a much smaller turbine wheel to fit the oem turbine housing.

I figured since you are using a borg warner turbo you might have some insite on the oil feed lines and how they were fabricated.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,215 Posts
Ah, Everything got really weird there for a second when I was replying.
Yep. I feel that the barb/bead high pressure flamable liquid discussion is best kept out of your hybrid turbo topic. What you use or plan to use is all a part of the build, but damn, it's going to get ugly quick if side debates are also happening in here.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
this is the reason why the performance Alfa guys who are putting their money where their
Mouth is are keeping it all a secret from forum.
too many Mario Andretti who comment on every aspect of car except actually doing it. Wonder why the aftermarket is scarce. Too many beta Alfa owners. @Tekgnome I wouldn’t post any info until you get it working. You’ll save yourself some aggravation. Only a few forum members can be trusted with this stuff anyway. The rest just cry and pretend to act like they care but only troll. Asking about carb compliant on a stage 3 car is like asking about vaccine status at a whore house.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Both coolant lines do
Awesome, thats reassuring.

Ez pz for the water lines then. I can just buy off the shelf parts and wont have to have them custom made.

21 - 40 of 298 Posts