Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
281 - 298 of 298 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
It'll almost be real aftermarket support, eventually.
It will be like an Italian Subaru WRX except we can actually make over 300whp without the engine popping 😂

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,215 Posts
hahah

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,215 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
The machining process didn't go so well. I purchased a second turbo for R&D and we are experimenting with a whole new chra with better aftermarket support.

Progress is slow this month as my wedding is coming up on october 31st and pretty much all my spare funds have been diverted to it. (I'm out of cash I can use for R&D)

We might have found a way to rebuild the stock chra as well. One of the main reasons why NM Turbo doesnt want to use the original CHRA was the lack of parts to rebuild. He wont send used chra's out to customers and risk them blowing up and hurting a customers car, because of the he has to use brand new bearings. We still need to do more testing but its very promising
OEM Journal bearing
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior

Potential part that should fit.
Rectangle Wood Beige Cylinder Jewellery

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,368 Posts
Brand new stock turbo is only $650. Barely more than they ask for used turbos. Consider just including new turbo

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
Brand new stock turbo is only $650. Barely more than they ask for used turbos. Consider just including new turbo
From a business perspective its just not a good Idea. A typical rebuild kit costs less than $100, this means NM turbo would have to charge the customer at least $550 more per hybrid to make them. Also if the turbo fails you cant just use a sub $100 rebuild kit to fix it, you'd have to replace the entire thing for $650.

Its not just about making a hybrid, its also about being able to make them in a logistical way that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
From a business perspective its just not a good Idea. A typical rebuild kit costs less than $100, this means NM turbo would have to charge the customer at least $550 more per hybrid to make them. Also if the turbo fails you cant just use a sub $100 rebuild kit to fix it, you'd have to replace the entire thing for $650.

Its not just about making a hybrid, its also about being able to make them in a logistical way that makes sense.
Theres rebuild kits but i was only talking about making the original.

I assumed people would want to keep their stock turbo regardless so thered be a core charge right?

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Theres rebuild kits but i was only talking about making the original.

I assumed people would want to keep their stock turbo regardless so thered be a core charge right?
I have yet to find a rebuild kit for our turbo's do you got a link for that?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I have yet to find a rebuild kit for our turbo's do you got a link for that?
Gottuned has quality ones. They wont release supplier. Same with their custom wheels.

There are some Chinese ones but i wouldn't buy them. Stay away from that stuff

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Gottuned has quality ones. They wont release supplier. Same with their custom wheels.

There are some Chinese ones but i wouldn't buy them. Stay away from that stuff

That rebuild kit doesn't go to our turbo, the journal bearing is completely different. So im back to looking for a way to rebuild the oem chra or using a alternative chra.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Q4
12 Posts
I agree, that rebuilt kit is for a garret turbocharger for the sprinter van, our turbocharger is totally different made by Honeywell

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,215 Posts
Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
I agree, that rebuilt kit is for a garret turbocharger for the sprinter van, our turbocharger is totally different made by Honeywell
Honeywell was (bought out/name changed) by Garret but it still stands.

The Alfa Romeo's casting was made in slovakia and GT2056 rebuild kits look nothing like our oem journal bearing and its not even the same size.

What our oem bearing looks like
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior

GT2056 journal bearing
Light Cylinder Automotive lighting Material property Font

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Honeywell was (bought out/name changed) by Garret but it still stands.

The Alfa Romeo's casting was made in slovakia and GT2056 rebuild kits look nothing like our oem journal bearing and its not even the same size.

What our oem bearing looks like
View attachment 117409
GT2056 journal bearing
View attachment 117413

What is size of oem bearing?

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 · (Edited)
281 - 298 of 298 Posts