Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 298 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to make a mega thread to start dumping information for those who want to follow the progress.

Frequent questions

How much will it cost? - Price is not finalized, you can expect the cost of a typical hybrid turbo ($1,500-$3,500)
How much power will I make? - This depends on your supporting mods, Ideally we are aiming for 400whp with full bolt on's and a tune.
When can I buy? - Your welcome to reach out to Nick to if you have cash in hand, but only he can decide when he's ready for orders.
What company is making it? - NM Turbo
What are the specs? - We are still experimenting and in the early stages. Right now we are looking to use GTX2867R cores as they are easily available, dual ball bearing, and have a huge aftermarket for some spicy wheels.

Teardown and build pictures
OEM turbo purchased from ebay.
The oem CHRA is a pretty awful journal bearing setup :sick:

Core Pictures and specs
Garrett GTX2867R Gen 2 Gen II Reverse turbo CHRA
Billet wheel size
Inducer Dia. : 50mm
Exducer Dia. : 67 mm
shaft wheel size
Inducer Dia. : 47mm
Exducer Dia. : 54 mm

Install process and pictures

None yet, have to get the turbo first.

Draggy and Dyno results

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Its not only comoressor wheel. You musi change turbine wheel, turbine wheel is the biggest restriction....

Wysłane z mojego SM-G996B przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not only comoressor wheel. You musi change turbine wheel, turbine wheel is the biggest restriction....

This would replace the entire chra with new wheels on both sides

·
Registered
336 Posts
Maybe 2mm... not more...

This is why I am waiting to see how everyone else's turbos turn out. Not much point if you cant flow much more though the hotside. I could be wrong though maybe there are some great turbine wheels that overcome this restriction?

·
Registered
605 Posts
This is why I am waiting to see how everyone else's turbos turn out. Not much point if you cant flow much more though the hotside. I could be wrong though maybe there are some great turbine wheels that overcome this restriction?
But there is small hole.... turbine from vag , ihi has 7mm more at least....

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport, Misano Blue / Tan
260 Posts
I'm going to make a mega thread to start dumping information for those who want to follow the progress.

Frequent questions

How much will it cost? - Price is not finalized, you can expect the cost of a typical hybrid turbo ($1,500-$3,500)
How much power will I make? - This depends on your supporting mods, Ideally we are aiming for 400whp with full bolt on's and a tune.
When can I buy? - Your welcome to reach out to Nick to show interest, only he can decide when he's ready for orders.
What company is making it? - NM Turbo
What are the specs? - We are still experimenting and in the early stages. Right now we are looking to use GTX2867R cores as they are easily available, dual ball bearing, and have a huge aftermarket for some spicy wheels.

Teardown and build pictures
OEM turbo purchased from ebay.
View attachment 114746 View attachment 114747 View attachment 114748

Core Pictures and specs
Garrett GTX2867R Gen 2 Gen II Reverse turbo CHRA
Billet wheel size
Inducer Dia. : 50mm
Exducer Dia. : 67 mm
shaft wheel size
Inducer Dia. : 47mm
Exducer Dia. : 54 mm

View attachment 114749

Install process and pictures

None yet, have to get the turbo first.

Draggy and Dyno results
is this for 2.0T models? Is CARB certification planned? Guessing a tune will be required, is that included?

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that the shop has a oem turbo on hand, the shop is confident that they can mill the oem turbine housing larger. There main point of concern is getting the GTX28 CHRA to mate up to the OEM casting.

He stated while the oem wheel its self is small there's plenty of space to flow once its milled out. The GTX wheel is aprox 7mm larger, although we may use a smaller wheel depending on how much he can cut out.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Now that the shop has a oem turbo on hand, the shop is confident that they can mill the oem turbine housing larger. There main point of concern is getting the GTX28 CHRA to mate up to the OEM casting.

He stated while the oem wheel its self is small there's plenty of space to flow once its milled out. The GTX wheel is aprox 7mm larger, although we may use a smaller wheel depending on how much he can cut out.
Forget to fit there 7mm bigger turbine wheel

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
is this for 2.0T models? Is CARB certification planned? Guessing a tune will be required, is that included?
This is indeed for the 2.0L models, I wouldnt see any issues with CARB as long as you lower the boost to stock levels when you test. (YMMV)

You'll want a JB4 at a minimum. I'm going to be running it with a JB4 using a custom map for now. A proper tune would be significantly better as you can take advantage of multi air and a higher RPM range.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
This is indeed for the 2.0L models, I wouldnt see any issues with CARB as long as you lower the boost to stock levels when you test. (YMMV)

You'll want a JB4 at a minimum. I'm going to be running it with a JB4 using a custom map for now. A proper tune would be significantly better as you can take advantage of multi air and a higher RPM range.
I'm sorry but unless you have an Executive Order you do not pass CARB rules. Do you plan to get an EO? If so you really have my attention!

Without the EO, you might pass a California field smog test but that is not the same as passing CARB rules.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm sorry but unless you have an Executive Order you do not pass CARB rules. Do you plan to get an EO? If so you really have my attention!

Without the EO, you might pass a California field smog test but that is not the same as passing CARB rules.
I'm not sure how CARB works. When he asked about carb I thought he was talking about passing an emissions test.

From an emissions standpoint I wouldn't see why a stock car with a hybrid turbo running factory boost levels would fail. My state doesn't do emissions testing at all, so I'll likely be installing a catless downpipe.

As far as carb someone else will need to try that rabbit hole. If someone was really wanting to modify their car and they live in California it might be best to register the car in a county that doesn't do visual inspections and or emissions testing at all.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,367 Posts

Nice thing about hybrid turbo is its still the factory turbo shell. Same oem housing and tags. Itll "pass" California carb lol.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice thing about hybrid turbo is its still the factory turbo shell. Same oem housing and tags. Itll "pass" California carb lol.
Not sure if it would pass a visual inspection as we aren't using the oem core(chra). The oem unit is a basic journal bearing and doesn't even use a proper thrust washer.
There are good journal bearing turbo's, this one is pretty aweful. The GTX2863R core (chra) that we plan to use is a proper dual ball bearing core and will speed up spool times.

Picture of my used OEM chra

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Not sure if it would pass a visual inspection as we aren't using the oem core(chra). The oem unit is a basic journal bearing and doesn't even use a proper thrust washer.
There are good journal bearing turbo's, this one is pretty aweful. The GTX2863R core (chra) that we plan to use is a proper dual ball bearing core and will speed up spool times.

Picture of my used OEM chra
View attachment 114782 View attachment 114783 View attachment 114784 View attachment 114785
it won’t even pass the sound testing when you shut car off that ball bearing will still be spinning. Love it. Anyone living in California should just register car in Montana. Not even worth the hassle of playing games with carb. Open an llc in Montana call it a day.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
it won’t even pass the sound testing when you shut car off that ball bearing will still be spinning. Love it. Anyone living in California should just register car in Montana. Not even worth the hassle of playing games with carb. Open an llc in Montana call it a day.
I'm not sure you'll hear it at idle without a pod filter. I have a k&n box filter and my idle sounds completely stock. Under load I get a very tiny bit more sound, but the stock intake just dampens all the sounds so well. :(
With a pod filter you'd absolutely hear it at idle lol
Ball bearing units are glorious, this one being tiny will spool so dang quick.....

1 - 20 of 298 Posts