Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the "air" in the tires with nitrogen, I was wondering if this would stop the need to fill the tires during cold weather. I have a price of $199 usd. That seems to be the going rate. My wife just purchased a new Honda pilot and the dealer offered it and the car has not had the low pressure light go on. Here in NJ the past two weeks it's been around 10 to 15 degrees. Yes cold but on the up side that darn auto stop/start has not come on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I filled both my car tires and motorcycle tires several years ago with nitrogen. $5 a tire and even at that it wasn't worth it. The cycle tires were tube type (BMW R9T). The nitrogen leaked out at the same rate as air on both the tubeless car and tubed motorcycle. Waste of time and money.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Want cheap N2? Been doing this for years. Rent/buy a cylinder(available at any welding supply house or tool wholesale, many sizes to choose from), buy a cheap regulator, get standard air hose and chuck. Much less expensive that the dealer/tire stores and lots more convenient when its in your garage! And you don't have to listen to a compressor running!

·
Registered
734 Posts
PV=nRT is the ideal gas law. T drops, P drops. No matter you change the almost 80% Nitrogen air from the atmosphere to 99% Nitrogen. The reason your Pilot didn’t set off the monitor is that the tires probably left overinflated.

When we were in Cleveland we had a rental 4Runner. I had brought my gauge and portable compressor and went out to check the tires. They were all about 5 PSI low. It ran so much better after I had them up to 33 PSI. You would only need to pump them that initial severe drop in temp. They will hold the pressure for at least a couple of weeks....

·
Registered
271 Posts
PV=nRT is the ideal gas law. T drops, P drops. No matter you change the almost 80% Nitrogen air from the atmosphere to 99% Nitrogen. The reason your Pilot didn’t set off the monitor is that the tires probably left overinflated.

When we were in Cleveland we had a rental 4Runner. I had brought my gauge and portable compressor and went out to check the tires. They were all about 5 PSI low. It ran so much better after I had them up to 33 PSI. You would only need to pump them that initial severe drop in temp. They will hold the pressure for at least a couple of weeks....
Dude, you really need to find more important things to do in life.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I find it interesting that people are interested in spending $200 to fill their tire with gas, but won’t spend it on a track day which will teach them skills that could possibly save their lives .....

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Call me old school, but I think having to add air to your tires every month or so is a good thing. It gets you down there where you can check for irregular wear, tread separations, or anything else out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dont judge me, i got it by accident, but idk about the original poster, but its fill ups for the lifetime of the tires, Tire Repair & Replacement Coverage
Wheel Repair Benefits
New Tire Rewards Cash
24 Hour Emergency Towing Service
24 Hour Road Service
24 Hour Emergency Fluid Emergency Delivery
24 Hour Emergency Battery Service
Lost Key and Lockout Service
Travel Benefits
Theft and Hit and Run Protection
Trip Routing Service
Trip Interruption Protection.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Dont judge me, i got it by accident, but idk about the original poster, but its fill ups for the lifetime of the tires, Tire Repair & Replacement Coverage
Wheel Repair Benefits
New Tire Rewards Cash
24 Hour Emergency Towing Service
24 Hour Road Service
24 Hour Emergency Fluid Emergency Delivery
24 Hour Emergency Battery Service
Lost Key and Lockout Service
Travel Benefits
Theft and Hit and Run Protection
Trip Routing Service
Trip Interruption Protection.
Until the dealer does away with it. That happened to me. It's a gimmick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wouldn't pay a dollar for a tire full of funny air. I already have the green caps so I'm good. As long as other people think I have cool air then its fine with me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts