Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Next Gen Dash Cams

9K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Chipshot 
#1 ·
know I few people were a while back looking for always on dashcams, wireless etc. Had my social media being spammed by the likes of Owlcam https://owlcam.com/ and notice there's a new gen out now running on LTW.

It looks easy to install and runs LTE alerts/uploads. Looks a bit like Arlo for cars. I have Arlo and like it so wondering if anyone's got/getting this or any of the competitors? Looks pretty good, just don't like the monthly fee (which goes for anything)

#2 ·
I’m in the market for a dash cam but don’t care for the ones with built in displays like the Owlcam. They’re too big and seem like a theft magnet. I’ve used Nest cams in the home before so the Owlcam business model looks familiar. Personally I’d like something that’s more discreet, has HD and high frame rate, good night vision and contrast capability for dealing with challenging lighting conditions. I do like how the Owlcam captures forward view and inside car view. Ideally I’d have a setup that records forward view, rear view and in-car view of driver so I can defend myself against unreasonable claims in the event of a crash. I’d like GPS speed and time/date overlay optional. I’d like the ability to leave it running 24/7 in case of vandals, break-in, etc.

#4 ·
Think if it was stolen though they'd be filmed stealing and trying to take it out while being altered on the phone. Guess how they see it.

Any ideas which system you're looking at right now or have you not found one you like?

Chip > you had any luck further thoughts on which one you'd get?

#3 ·
I want to cut the cord and be totally battery-powered. Recharging doesn't dissuade me. In fact, it's consistent with removing the unit from the vehicle, which I will be doing at every destination other than home.

Reactions: GAPF1
#6 ·
The owlcam has some interesting but the display is a deal breaker for me not least because it appears to be illegal in both PA and NJ which is where I do the bulk of my driving.
https://donaghuelabrum.com/2015/12/30/personal-dash-cams-and-the-law/

I like freedomgli's wish list of features. But what I really should do is make the time to thread the wiring for the dashcam I bought through the headliner so it gets the power feed it needs.

#7 ·
that's interesting and makes sense, you don't want to be distracted by a vid screen. Sure it'd have an option to turn it off / on alerts i'd expect but makes it a bit pointless. I see another of the LTE providers has got rid of the vid screen but doesn't look like it's out yet https://raven.is

#9 ·
Don't see the value in this really, the Blackvue 2-channel I just installed is very discreet and works excellent, for less money. (I didn't buy the top of the line model either) ... to each their own. I am glad we have so many choices in this market

#12 ·
The only problem I see with the BlackVue is that the lens is on the left when ideally it should be on the right.

My thought is to ditch the suction cup and screw (or glue, or use tape) the unit directly to the electronic cover that is in front of the mirror. This should hide the camera between the mirror and windshield and have no affect on the driver's view. Can the camera on the Blackvue be spun around so that it is on the right when facing forward?

Also, get one of those power adapter cables so that the camera can be powered off of the power feed to the mirror. No long wires, no obscured view, barely visible from outside the vehicle--what's not to like? Use a cell phone to aim the camera, what else is a display on the camera needed for?

A rear facing camera might require a long cable.

#20 ·
I understand. I hope you have a safe place to park where attracting the attention of thieves isn't an issue.

#21 ·
I think there are two ways to look at that ... one is that a flashing camera light is a deterrent to thieves ... another is "that camera is worth money, I will steal it"

I am not a criminal so I can't say which one is more popular. I don't drive in bad areas let alone park in them

#22 · (Edited)
Blackvue got back and said that the camera is not designed to allow rotating the unit 180 degrees to make the lens face forward and be on the right.

However, they did say that my alternative plan would work:

Put the rear camera on the windshield and the front camera with GPS on the rear window where the larger parts will have less impact on the driver's view. This also swaps the lens from left handed to right handed for us LHD car drivers. You lose access to the "tap to save image" feature since the main camera will be out of reach. This of course requires running a wire from front to back plus some more creative power wiring in the back of the car. Also, the previous generation rear camera was significantly inferior to the front camera making it unclear if satisfactory images would be captured this way.

At least according to the Blackvue website, the front and rear cameras of the DR750S-2CH produce the same quality images when both are active, but the image quality of the front camera degrades when the rear camera is activated.

#23 ·
I had the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH system in my previous car, front and rear camera and it kind of sucked. It never would connect to wifi, ever.. and I work in IT so I understand computers, networks reasonably well and it simply wouldn't make the connection, regardless of where I tried. The micro sd itself, needed to use the software rather than just having cool clips to upload/use by themselves.

It came with powermagic pro and it was DOA. The installer had to create something different for power.

I keep hoping for something small, stealthy and micro sd to be created that actually does what it s's supposed to, without fail.

When using the software, the video from the Blackvue was decent, but a simply gopro shoots better footage, albeit not something you can really use for your car decently (battery life sucks)

#24 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.