Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
know I few people were a while back looking for always on dashcams, wireless etc. Had my social media being spammed by the likes of Owlcam https://owlcam.com/ and notice there's a new gen out now running on LTW.

It looks easy to install and runs LTE alerts/uploads. Looks a bit like Arlo for cars. I have Arlo and like it so wondering if anyone's got/getting this or any of the competitors? Looks pretty good, just don't like the monthly fee (which goes for anything)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I’m in the market for a dash cam but don’t care for the ones with built in displays like the Owlcam. They’re too big and seem like a theft magnet. I’ve used Nest cams in the home before so the Owlcam business model looks familiar. Personally I’d like something that’s more discreet, has HD and high frame rate, good night vision and contrast capability for dealing with challenging lighting conditions. I do like how the Owlcam captures forward view and inside car view. Ideally I’d have a setup that records forward view, rear view and in-car view of driver so I can defend myself against unreasonable claims in the event of a crash. I’d like GPS speed and time/date overlay optional. I’d like the ability to leave it running 24/7 in case of vandals, break-in, etc.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
I want to cut the cord and be totally battery-powered. Recharging doesn't dissuade me. In fact, it's consistent with removing the unit from the vehicle, which I will be doing at every destination other than home.

Reactions: GAPF1

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m in the market for a dash cam but don’t care for the ones with built in displays like the Owlcam. They’re too big and seem like a theft magnet. I’ve used Nest cams in the home before so the Owlcam business model looks familiar. Personally I’d like something that’s more discreet, has HD and high frame rate, good night vision and contrast capability for dealing with challenging lighting conditions. I do like how the Owlcam captures forward view and inside car view. Ideally I’d have a setup that records forward view, rear view and in-car view of driver so I can defend myself against unreasonable claims in the event of a crash. I’d like GPS speed and time/date overlay optional. I’d like the ability to leave it running 24/7 in case of vandals, break-in, etc.
Think if it was stolen though they'd be filmed stealing and trying to take it out while being altered on the phone. Guess how they see it.

Any ideas which system you're looking at right now or have you not found one you like?

Chip > you had any luck further thoughts on which one you'd get?

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Chip > you had any luck further thoughts on which one you'd get?
None. Nada. Zip. Eventually I'll learn of one and start digging. Can you tell it's a high priority?

It would have been fun to have a video of this morning's fishtailing Lincoln Town Car. I still can't decide whether the driver really knew what they were doing or were just extraordinarily lucky.

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
658 Posts
The owlcam has some interesting but the display is a deal breaker for me not least because it appears to be illegal in both PA and NJ which is where I do the bulk of my driving.
https://donaghuelabrum.com/2015/12/30/personal-dash-cams-and-the-law/

I like freedomgli's wish list of features. But what I really should do is make the time to thread the wiring for the dashcam I bought through the headliner so it gets the power feed it needs.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's interesting and makes sense, you don't want to be distracted by a vid screen. Sure it'd have an option to turn it off / on alerts i'd expect but makes it a bit pointless. I see another of the LTE providers has got rid of the vid screen but doesn't look like it's out yet https://raven.is

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Don't see the value in this really, the Blackvue 2-channel I just installed is very discreet and works excellent, for less money. (I didn't buy the top of the line model either) ... to each their own. I am glad we have so many choices in this market

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
think the difference is really the LTE so you can auto transfer and be alerted to run out there with a minigun and blow everyone away for trying to steal your car ;) This hyper connected stuff. I like the setup on my home system which runs the same.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,744 Posts
BlackVue DR750S-2CH w/Powermagic Pro /thread
The only problem I see with the BlackVue is that the lens is on the left when ideally it should be on the right.

My thought is to ditch the suction cup and screw (or glue, or use tape) the unit directly to the electronic cover that is in front of the mirror. This should hide the camera between the mirror and windshield and have no affect on the driver's view. Can the camera on the Blackvue be spun around so that it is on the right when facing forward?

Also, get one of those power adapter cables so that the camera can be powered off of the power feed to the mirror. No long wires, no obscured view, barely visible from outside the vehicle--what's not to like? Use a cell phone to aim the camera, what else is a display on the camera needed for?

A rear facing camera might require a long cable.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The only problem I see with the BlackVue is that the lens is on the left when ideally it should be on the right.

My thought is to ditch the suction cup and screw (or glue, or use tape) the unit directly to the electronic cover that is in front of the mirror. This should hide the camera between the mirror and windshield and have no affect on the driver's view. Can the camera on the Blackvue be spun around so that it is on the right when facing forward?

Also, get one of those power adapter cables so that the camera can be powered off of the power feed to the mirror. No long wires, no obscured view, barely visible from outside the vehicle--what's not to like? Use a cell phone to aim the camera, what else is a display on the camera needed for?

A rear facing camera might require a long cable.
Yes, it can be spun around.

The rear cable is like 20 feet I think and you can hide it very easily under the rubber seals

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Yes, it can be spun around.

The rear cable is like 20 feet I think and you can hide it very easily under the rubber seals
I have asked Blackvue if spinning the camera around will result in the image being upside down. From the images on their website it looks like they do correct the image but do not correct the legends around the image.

Blackvue also seems to have some problem with legibility of license plates compared to the larger cameras <sigh>. It is not clear if that is an optical or a compression rate (or combination of the two) issue.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Ill post sample of my 2 Channel Video. Its super crisp and has wifi. Its does it all!
Ping. Please note what model dashcam you use.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I want to cut the cord and be totally battery-powered. Recharging doesn't dissuade me. In fact, it's consistent with removing the unit from the vehicle, which I will be doing at every destination other than home.
With you on this, plus I don't like the idea of having wires running around the dashboard/windshield.

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
630 Posts
I’m the opposite. I’d rather have it hardwired with a clean install and minimal visible wires and then never remove it. I want it to record incidents while parked. And I don’t want to mess with it each and every time I go for a drive. I just want always on.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
I’m the opposite. I’d rather have it hardwired with a clean install and minimal visible wires and then never remove it. I want it to record incidents while parked. And I don’t want to mess with it each and every time I go for a drive. I just want always on.
I understand. I hope you have a safe place to park where attracting the attention of thieves isn't an issue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts