Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a new windshield in today. I had a crack in the windshield in my Giulia QV and then I did an autocross that was on on a rough retired airport runway and all the vibration made the crack spread across the windshield so I had to change it.
Called my insurance company, I have a $500 deductible for glass. They put the work through Safelite. They do a great job, they call you right away, make an appointment right away and get the glass very fast and they do a great Install at whatever location you want.
Amazingly only took about a week to get the windshield and do the install. They had to buy the windshield from the dealership so I know I got original equipment (FYI you can pay the difference between aftermarket and original equipment if you want and if the car you have had aftermarket)
I scheduled the work to be done at my dealership because when they replace the windshield they have to realign the front camera.
Everything went really smooth. The retail cost of the windshield was about $1,200 which I thought was reasonable.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
Put a new windshield in today. I had a crack in the windshield in my Giulia QV and then I did an autocross that was on on a rough retired airport runway and all the vibration made the crack spread across the windshield so I had to change it.
Called my insurance company, I have a $500 deductible for glass. They put the work through Safelite. They do a great job, they call you right away, make an appointment right away and get the glass very fast and they do a great Install at whatever location you want.
Amazingly only took about a week to get the windshield and do the install. They had to buy the windshield from the dealership so I know I got original equipment (FYI you can pay the difference between aftermarket and original equipment if you want and if the car you have had aftermarket)
I scheduled the work to be done at my dealership because when they replace the windshield they have to realign the front camera.
Everything went really smooth. The retail cost of the windshield was about $1,200 which I thought was reasonable.
Did they install a proper OEM Alfa windshield with IR filter or some kind of copy thereof?

On my route windshields get a lot of tiny chips and eventually need to be replaced as they will eventually impair vision and windshield wiping. It is wear and tear, so insurance is not going to cover any of it. I've already spotted several such chips, after only 5 months.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did they install a proper OEM Alfa windshield with IR filter or some kind of copy thereof?

On my route windshields get a lot of tiny chips and eventually need to be replaced as they will eventually impair vision and windshield wiping. It is wear and tear, so insurance is not going to cover any of it. I've already spotted several such chips, after only 5 months.
Oh I don’t know anything about the IR filter you’re speaking of. And dealerships don’t sell anything other than OEM glass.It seems like there is not an aftermarket windshield for my car otherwise Safelite would’ve tried to use that. But like my post says you can request only OEM glass to be used and I did.
I can’t even remember the last time I replaced a windshield but in the last 3 months I’ve replaced both windshield in my 2 Alfas. The 4C windshield was almost $4000 retail. And the installer said the 4C windshield was the easiest windshield he’s ever done. And that windshield only took less than three weeks to get and install.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Actually Safelite did first order an aftermarket by mistake for my QV (so it must exist - but I didn't see it) and I had to go back and make a new appointment for an OEM windshield. I had mine installed last Saturday after a 4 week wait (probably could have been 2 weeks if not for their mistake and my schedule). Fit and finish and markings in lower corner are all as new. Looks fine. IR seems to work.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Replacing windshields on all cars has gotten easier....in my 1991 164 S there is a piece of exterior metal trim...it is very thin and potentially fragile upon removal (which must happen when replacing windshield)....and it frames the windshield....This set up is no longer found on modern cars....rather the glass sits on a bed of adhesive around the periphery and blends into the A pillars and roof line....as long as the excess adhesive is neatly removed around the edges, it's tough to imagine a "sloppy" install of most modern windshields....as to all the tech that they have (cameras, rain sensors, etc)...that's a different story..

·
Registered
691 Posts
Looks fine. IR seems to work.
What does IR 'works' mean? Isn't the purpose of the IR filter to keep the cabin cooler? How can you measurably check that it is working? Just curious. Also any way to tell Aftermarket from OEM?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually Safelite did first order an aftermarket by mistake for my QV (so it must exist - but I didn't see it) and I had to go back and make a new appointment for an OEM windshield. I had mine installed last Saturday after a 4 week wait (probably could have been 2 weeks if not for their mistake and my schedule). Fit and finish and markings in lower corner are all as new. Looks fine. IR seems to work.
I told Safelite right at the beginning I did not want anything other than OEM. Good catch on your part.
FYI If yours is an insurance claim your insurance company will pay the dealership to re-align your front camera. I think that’s a really good idea to have it done because it does control important things like Autonomous braking.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
What does IR 'works' mean? Isn't the purpose of the IR filter to keep the cabin cooler? How can you measurably check that it is working? Just curious. Also any way to tell Aftermarket from OEM?
I am guessing that the primary purpose of the IR reflective coating is to keep the electronics in the windshield pod from cooking in the sun. Any interior temp reduction would be an added bonus.

Determining if the coating is working could be difficult. I suppose I could turn my IR camera on it and see if it looks different than "normal" glass.

My windshield has the ALFA ROMEO emblem in the lower right corner, together with PILKINGTON and one of those pattern squares that direct your phone to a website. All of which could be copied by an after market producer, but probably not.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The IR comes with Dynamic Plus package. I don’t know if that is now standard on all QV’s which would mean there is probably no aftermarket for non IR unless the QV windshield is the same as the other trims which I am guessing it is.

If so I would pay for the upgrade. I wonder why it is included int he safety package and if it has something to do with what the other poster stated about protecting the equipment. If you have IR on your sticker you can probably push for that with the insurance company. If not I would pay the difference. I can’t see them denying it especially if you show it included as a safety package. I would definately check with the installers if it was IR or not.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I may be misspeaking. I have the IR windshield with auto cruise and auto brake warning. That all works (haven't yet had a recalibration though). I was thinking it works off of an IR wavelength but if not my bad....

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I brought the QV in for a service appointment. Did a walk around with the SA to note any pre-existing damages. In doing so he noted quite a few little chips on the windshield. Not spider cracks or anything just little chips. We have mandatory glass coverage in AZ so no deductible and I am guessing we get lots of rock chips here. My other car I just had the window replaced and within a week another chip. So what I found interesting is that I am getting these chips and not getting spider cracks. We did feel one that was pretty hard but it just chipped no veins. Wondering if the IR glass is a different composition that is stronger. In any case the SA said that when your windshield gets replaced and it is IR at least you have to have the system reprogrammed (safety features). Additionally I talked to USAA about the QV when I was getting the new windshield on the MINI. They said it would be aftermarket on the MINI unless I pay the difference. On the QV they said the first 2 years it is OEM then typically aftermarket but he said on some of the more expensive cars they stick with OEM. Time will tell. So far chips are the only thing we are seeing.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I had a replacement windshield installed on my QV in the last couple of weeks. It looks aftermarket since there is an iron cross logo where the alfa logo would be. It took 24 hrs from the time I called the autoglass company to completion. Everything seems to work as original. 100 % covered by insurance.

Edit. After a little research, the “iron cross” I referred to is Pilkington’s logo. I believe they are the OEM supplier of windshields to Alfa.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts