Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Hi. My feelings after the recall and a few hundred miles is overall good and peppy and smooth, except for noticing a ‘thunk’. It is when I and at speed and let up on the pedal a moment. When I resume pressing the pedal it is like it goes back into gear from neutral. Is that really happenning? By design? I don’t have Italian car design for Dummies!
I'm not convinced that the transmission goes into neutral (on it's own) while at speed. It is up a gear or two higher than I would be in manual mode, relaxing the throttle doesn't provide much engine braking and it can certainly feel like neutral. The only time I know for certain that the transmission shifts itself into neutral is while at a full stop with the brake pressed firmly.

I'd check the cockpit and truck for objects that could be moving around. Depending on the results, I'd be prepared to take the car back to the dealer and have this 'thunk' checked out. Mine does not thunk and neither should yours. Perhaps they left something undone, perhaps something broke and it's just bad timing.

The dealer replaced my battery. The first turn I went through caused a 'thunk'. I stopped, checked and found the loose battery. Went right back to the dealer and waited while they secured it. Not saying you have a loose battery, but, that they need to check out what's thunking.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
In A while going down the right grade slope the car shifts into neutral and the engine drops to idle. I do not think it will do this if the air conditioner compressor is working. It will not do this if the car has decided you need engine braking to control speed. This is called "sailing" and at least Porsche also offers this fuel saving feature.

I have noticed that my car now comes out of sailing mode with a clunk. The clunk is not a noise so much as a sensation, like a worn out car with a lot of driveline lash. I do not remember the clunk before UA4 but I cannot swear that it did not happen.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Had the service done about two weeks ago. the tech told me it would take some miles for the systems to relearn my driving habits. Seemed a little sluggish leaving dealership. 50 miles home and it was about the same. Auto start/stop was not changed. Cold start next morning seemed smoother and less stiff when shifting. Now about 750 miles after update, shifting seems much smoother, especially in the morning with COLD start. MPG seems about same and responsiveness on the road seems a bit smoother and quicker.

Reactions: elquique

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 18' Q4 sport and just did the following:
- oil change/service
- swapped out 19's for 18's winters
- did my recall (which I assume is the UA4 one).

Car seems to be 'smoother' and still pulls on the tach with style and a sense of lightness (not forceful). I have not seen any noticable difference in performance on the first drive. If anything she's a bit more 'smooth' in her technique.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks Racer Z. I will check with the dealer. It is not happenning when ‘sailing’ and it is not other objects moving around since it when smoothly running at highway speeds. It is a mild thing. Hyper vigilence with my saloon!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not convinced that the transmission goes into neutral (on it's own) while at speed. It is up a gear or two higher than I would be in manual mode, relaxing the throttle doesn't provide much engine braking and it can certainly feel like neutral. The only time I know for certain that the transmission shifts itself into neutral is while at a full stop with the brake pressed firmly.

I'd check the cockpit and truck for objects that could be moving around. Depending on the results, I'd be prepared to take the car back to the dealer and have this 'thunk' checked out. Mine does not thunk and neither should yours. Perhaps they left something undone, perhaps something broke and it's just bad timing.

The dealer replaced my battery. The first turn I went through caused a 'thunk'. I stopped, checked and found the loose battery. Went right back to the dealer and waited while they secured it. Not saying you have a loose battery, but, that they need to check out what's thunking.
The vehicle does not go into neutral on its on unless it goes into limp mode, during auto stop/start event the vehicle remains in drive. A lot of people seems to be confused about the UA4 recall, the recall is for the ECM to correct a software issue on 34k vehicles that may contain inadequate catalytic converter overheat protection

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport
64 Posts
UA4 update done in less than an hr. Car seems just as fun if not more so but with smoother idle & cold starts.
My update was done about two weeks ago and I also noticed better idle and less jerky cold starts almost immediately. But late last week the infotainment screen (larger display with 3D nav) suddenly went dark after start up. Back up camera is active but as soon as it turns off after coming out of reverse the entire screen goes dark. You can see the bottom of the screen showing cabin temp changes and other heating/cooling system parameters change as you adjust the controls but the screen elsewhere stays black. Trial and error found that turning the radio on and off a couple times brings back the screen (set as split with radio on the right and nav on the larger left side). I then leave the radio off after the display comes back as I like listening to the engine sounds while driving. Anyone else seen this? Oh, and of course the clock is once again randomly resetting to 24 hrs military format. Neither are really major issues, just inconveniences and likely a result of the cockpit computerization. It's still the most fun car I have ever driven! :smile2:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I let the car "sail" a bit today on the freeway after having the update performed too.
Didn't notice any strange noises or clunks when putting my foot back on the throttle to kick it into gear.

I find that pretty much anything I put in the tunk rolls around quite easily and can make some really strange noises.

@ChiAlfaRabbi, the problem is likely specific to your car or simply pilot error, either way, good luck finding the cause of your clunk!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My update was done about two weeks ago and I also noticed better idle and less jerky cold starts almost immediately. But late last week the infotainment screen (larger display with 3D nav) suddenly went dark after start up. Back up camera is active but as soon as it turns off after coming out of reverse the entire screen goes dark. You can see the bottom of the screen showing cabin temp changes and other heating/cooling system parameters change as you adjust the controls but the screen elsewhere stays black. Trial and error found that turning the radio on and off a couple times brings back the screen (set as split with radio on the right and nav on the larger left side). I then leave the radio off after the display comes back as I like listening to the engine sounds while driving. Anyone else seen this? Oh, and of course the clock is once again randomly resetting to 24 hrs military format. Neither are really major issues, just inconveniences and likely a result of the cockpit computerization. It's still the most fun car I have ever driven! :smile2:
I don’t think you’re the only one having this issue, already seen a hand full of customers complaining about this but when the vehicle gets to the shop the radio works fine. Does this happen only during cold starts?

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport
64 Posts
My update was done about two weeks ago and I also noticed better idle and less jerky cold starts almost immediately. But late last week the infotainment screen (larger display with 3D nav) suddenly went dark after start up. Back up camera is active but as soon as it turns off after coming out of reverse the entire screen goes dark. You can see the bottom of the screen showing cabin temp changes and other heating/cooling system parameters change as you adjust the controls but the screen elsewhere stays black. Trial and error found that turning the radio on and off a couple times brings back the screen (set as split with radio on the right and nav on the larger left side). I then leave the radio off after the display comes back as I like listening to the engine sounds while driving. Anyone else seen this? Oh, and of course the clock is once again randomly resetting to 24 hrs military format. Neither are really major issues, just inconveniences and likely a result of the cockpit computerization. It's still the most fun car I have ever driven! /forum/images/GiuliaForums/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
I don’t think you’re the only one having this issue, already seen a hand full of customers complaining about this but when the vehicle gets to the shop the radio works fine. Does this happen only during cold starts?
No, it happens every single time the car is started. Doesn’t matter if it is a cold start or not. Even tried key fob remote start and screen stays dark until powering the radio on and off a few times. Might stop in and ask my dealer if he has any ideas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No, it happens every single time the car is started. Doesn’t matter if it is a cold start or not. Even tried key fob remote start and screen stays dark until powering the radio on and off a few times. Might stop in and ask my dealer if he has any ideas.
Do you have anything connected to the DLC? Do you still have sound while the screen is black? Do you drive short distances on the regular?

This is all I could find for now...

Attachments

·
Registered
787 Posts
Don't know if the car "sails" or not, I do know it sometimes when in 8th gear foot off pedal on mild downward road in A rpm drops from around 1200 to idle below 1000 with no change in speed. It would have to have a higher gear than 8 or be sailing somehow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Post Ua4 idle rpm

I recently had the Ua4 and T57 updates done on my 2017 TI. Since then the idle rpms seem to be faster. On a cold start it's around 1500. At normal operating temperature it's around 800. Does the Ua4 update increase idle rpms? Are my numbers within normal limits post update? Thanks.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Don't know if the car "sails" or not, I do know it sometimes when in 8th gear foot off pedal on mild downward road in A rpm drops from around 1200 to idle below 1000 with no change in speed. It would have to have a higher gear than 8 or be sailing somehow.
You just described sailing, basically the Giulia drops back to idle from whatever RPM it was doing.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I recently had the Ua4 and T57 updates done on my 2017 TI. Since then the idle rpms seem to be faster. On a cold start it's around 1500. At normal operating temperature it's around 800. Does the Ua4 update increase idle rpms? Are my numbers within normal limits post update? Thanks.
Cold 1400, warm 800-900. I have had the UA4 and T57, but no idea if it was different before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
following up on my initial post. The auto start/stop works as expected.. The only difference is there isn't a light on the dash when it's enabled any more. Everything else is good / same as before the update.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just got my UA4 update done on my 2017 Ti Sport Q4this morning and figured I'd throw in my $.02. In short, the car feels exactly as it did before. Power doesn't feel nerfed whatsoever, shifts dont feel different at all, shifting at higher RPMs in dynamic mode is still very punchy and aggressive as I like, not extra smooth or anything like that. All drive modes feel axacrly as they should and active suspension still works exactly as it should. All infotainment and memory is unchanged and working normally. Anyway, just wanted to tell my experience since I have heard about some issues people have had after the recall update. Car is still a dream to drive and as powerful and sharp as ever.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
- oil change/service

Car seems to be 'smoother' and still pulls on the tach with style and a sense of lightness (not forceful). I have not seen any noticable difference in performance on the first drive. If anything she's a bit more 'smooth' in her technique.
Depending on when the last time your 18 was serviced, there could have been three ECU updates waiting to go.
- T57 (oldest update)
- U76 (this is for 2018 cars only)
- UA4 (newest update)

I have a 17, so the U76 does not apply to me. I had my Ti Q2 in for normal servicing just about the time the T57 was released and again just about the time the UA4 was released. On each ECU update, I noticed an improvement in drive-ability, among other things. We have a learning ECU and it takes several hundred miles for the car to relearn after this type of update, or after a battery disconnect. So, you may or may not notice any immediate changes.

·
Registered
506 Posts
- oil change/service

Depending on when the last time your 18 was serviced, there could have been three ECU updates waiting to go.
- T57 (oldest update)
- U76 (this is for 2018 cars only)
- UA4 (newest update)

I have a 17, so the U76 does not apply to me. I had my Ti Q2 in for normal servicing just about the time the T57 was released and again just about the time the UA4 was released. On each ECU update, I noticed an improvement in drive-ability, among other things. We have a learning ECU and it takes several hundred miles for the car to relearn after this type of update, or after a battery disconnect. So, you may or may not notice any immediate changes.
Are these only for the US-market?
I haven't received anything about U76/UA4.

EU Veloce, built in November 2017 here...

121 - 140 of 157 Posts