Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New safety recall, UA4, for certain 2017 & 2018 2.0 Alfas due to possible catalytic converter overheating. Engine misfire may cause overheating converter damaging localized wiring or components. Fire could result. Dealer will update engine control module software to control fuel delivery during certain engine misfire conditions. The remedy for this condition is not currently available. Recall to launch in 4th qtr 2018. :smile2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
70 Posts
New safety recall, UA4, for certain 2017 & 2018 2.0 Alfas due to possible catalytic converter overheating. Engine misfire may cause overheating converter damaging localized wiring or components. Fire could result. Dealer will update engine control module software to control fuel delivery during certain engine misfire conditions. The remedy for this condition is not currently available. Recall to launch in 4th qtr 2018. :smile2:
Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
"Holy inside information Batman"......

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm currently sitting in the dealer. I brought in the Giulia for the U76 Emissions recall (PCM), but a brand new one popped up when he ran my VIN#, even though in checking the Mopar website there aren't any other outstanding recalls/campaigns. I did notice on the sheet he showed me under "Software Updates" the line read "Alfa Romeo Giulia & Stelvio 2.0L" followed by "GME CAT" if I remember correctly. Which sounds right in line with something to do with the catalytic converter. The service manager said the new update literally just uploaded as he ran my VIN# this morning.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm currently sitting in the dealer. I brought in the Giulia for the U76 Emissions recall (PCM), but a brand new one popped up when he ran my VIN#, even though in checking the Mopar website there aren't any other outstanding recalls/campaigns. I did notice on the sheet he showed me under "Software Updates" the line read "Alfa Romeo Giulia & Stelvio 2.0L" followed by "GME CAT" if I remember correctly. Which sounds right in line with something to do with the catalytic converter. The service manager said the new update literally just uploaded as he ran my VIN# this morning.
Did they specify whether or not any physical modifications need to be made to the car or does it seem to just be a simple ECM update?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Did they specify whether or not any physical modifications need to be made to the car or does it seem to just be a simple ECM update?

Just an ECM software update apparently. Was just informed that they're almost done. The technician got in touch with an Alfa rep and even the Alfa rep didn't notice the new recall in the system until five minutes later. Once I get a copy of the receipt I'll check it out and perhaps post any information regarding this new recall for all 2.0L owners to see.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just an ECM software update apparently. Was just informed that they're almost done. The technician got in touch with an Alfa rep and even the Alfa rep didn't notice the new recall in the system until five minutes later. Once I get a copy of the receipt I'll check it out and perhaps post any information regarding this new recall for all 2.0L owners to see.
Okay Cool.
Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just so happens I had an appointment today to get my oil changed and tires rotated.. and they did the UA4 recall, and updated the infomant/main display on my harmon stereo. They had a delay from Italy for the update on the UA4 but only took an hour more for the complete service. Runs, at least I think, a little more rapidly. UA4 by the way is the Catalytic Converter recall..

·
Banned
219 Posts
Thanks for the link! Looked mine up and it was on the list. Called the dealer and they confirmed it was due the update. Let you know Monday afternoon how it went. Italian Motor works of Naperville, Il. has been doing very well by me.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Me too...

... my status just flipped from “none” to Recall Required using the website from the 2nd post in this thread.

Heads up, my Feb ‘17 build was affected — this will likely be all 2.0 engines as reported.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
My recall notice just showed up in the Alfa Romeo app, Jan 17 build.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I believe this update detunes the 2.0. How else would a software update lower catalytic temperatures without any mechanical repairs? keep in mind the USA spec Giulia is the tuned version Veloce In Europe. The regular Giulia 2.0 comes in at 200 hp. Maybe they pushed this 2.0 engine too much and it caused issues long term. My car experienced engine misfires and stalls.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just got the notification through the app as well. I have an 18' for anyone wondering. For those that have had this update done, how long did it take at the service department?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I believe this update detunes the 2.0. How else would a software update lower catalytic temperatures without any mechanical repairs? keep in mind the USA spec Giulia is the tuned version Veloce In Europe. The regular Giulia 2.0 comes in at 200 hp. Maybe they pushed this 2.0 engine too much and it caused issues long term. My car experienced engine misfires and stalls.
Based on some other posts the problem occurs when there is a misfire condition. Fuel not burned in the cylinders would pass to the cat where it would burn and cause overheating. Software change probably cuts or reduces fuel flow during misfire.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts