Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the research and investigation stages of my next car. I've owned sports cars all of my life and my current daily is a 2008 MX-5 Miata. Before that it's been an eclectic mix of coupes, convertibles and even the odd sedan or hatchback and those included a BMW 128i, Infiniti G37, Porsche Boxster and a Mustang LX 5.0 back when they still made those. I know I still want a sports car and my daily commute has some absolutely fantastic back roads but I've gotten to the point in my life where I want and can afford something nicer and more capable.

Because I am in the middle of building a detached garage (and after that will be saving a substantial down payment) it will realistically be 2019 before I am ready to make any kind of move but the remainder of 2018 will be spent researching and starting my test drives. I have a fairly specific list of wants and I am picky about my cars so I want to make sure I do it right this time.

Right now on my short list is the Porsche Macan GTS, Audi RS3 and TTRS, BMW M2 and, of course, the Giulia QV. And honestly, the QV wasn't on my list until recently when I suddenly started seeing the positive acclaim everywhere and how enthusiasts can't stop saying good things about it. Of upmost importance to me is that my car be fun to drive and be able to excite me over and over again while still doing all of the practical things that a primary car should.

So, while I do my research and begin my test drives in earnest I look forward to hanging out here with you on the forums. Thanks for having me!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Welcome, where are you located?
I am a bit biased, but the QV, if you find someone to let you drive it, will take your breath away......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, where are you located?
I am a bit biased, but the QV, if you find someone to let you drive it, will take your breath away......
NW Georgia. And yes, I am fully expecting that with the Alfa. I look forward to the experience!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
welcome Matt. Feel the pain, also going through the detached garage escapade.. don't forget to add a lift in too! :) Yeah i'm the bias lot here.. QV is far better looking than your other options and when you test drive one, that'll be it :D

Hope your process is smooth!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome Matt. Feel the pain, also going through the detached garage escapade.. don't forget to add a lift in too! :) Yeah i'm the bias lot here.. QV is far better looking than your other options and when you test drive one, that'll be it :D

Hope your process is smooth!
Thanks much, I appreciate that! Right now we are a bit at the mercy of the weather (rain every few days it seems like) in getting things going but it will happen in due time. And I actually agree with you in terms of the QV being the best looking on my list. It's beauty is one of the things that drew me to start seriously considering it.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
we have 2ft+ of snow on the ground so mine won't be anytime soon. Going through permit variance fun too :)

When do you think you'll go and see the options in the flesh?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we have 2ft+ of snow on the ground so mine won't be anytime soon. Going through permit variance fun too :)

When do you think you'll go and see the options in the flesh?
Realistically it will be later this year, maybe late summer or early fall. It's going to be a balance of wanting to leave enough time for a couple of test drives of each of the cars I want to look at but not starting so early that I don't have all of my ducks in a row, financially and logistically speaking. One of the great things about the QV is that they all come nicely equipped and I won't be stressing about trying to special order one with exactly the right options (Hello, Porsche!) which means I can be a little bit more relaxed about the process and timeframe. Hopefully, I will have made my final decision by this time next year or at least be close to it.

The ~$75k - ~$77k examples that I am seeing on dealer lots are exactly in line with what I would want and it would just be a matter of picking the color and wheel choice and trying to get one without the driver assistance package (which I do not want or need).

My plan is to contact my local Audi dealer first and try to set up a day when they will have both an RS3 and a TTRS on the lot and test drive them back to back. This may take some doing as there's a bit of a problem with a "Port Stop Order" for both of those cars due to some CARB / EPA thing and very few (if any) of those cars are currently hitting dealers which is causing a bit of a back log on customer orders and pick ups.

Honestly out of the 5 cars on my list the Giulia QV will be the easiest to actually go and take a look at in exactly the spec that I would buy it and that is certainly a point in its favor.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
cool! Sounds more or less what i'm doing. After the garage is built, i'm looking for another car. Not sure yet whether it'll be a new 8c/QV/GTR/New Supra/something else but once I narrow down the options I'll be heading for the proverbial test drives too, that's honestly the best way to decide :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Test drive it! That will be all you need.
Yes, I both look forward to and fear this very thing! :grin2: I am thinking the Giulia QV needs to be the last one I drive among the cars on my list. If what I am hearing and seeing is correct then even if it is the first one I test drive it still might be the last one I test drive!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts