Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All -

I just purchased my Giulia TI Sport and loving it! I have a few questions I'm hoping some people can assist with:

1.) I know Alfa Romeo used to have a reputation of not being the most reliable, however they are much improved. Any one have any reason to be concerned in terms of reliability?

2.) Did anyone purchase an extended warranty? If so, how much did you pay?

3.) Has anyone used the AWD version in ice/snow? If so, how did the AWD system handle the weather?

4.) How expensive is the maintenance on these cars?

5.) Any immediate set up tips?

6.) Is there a Facebook page for Giulia owners?

Thanks in advance...just bought the car today (came from an Infiniti Q50) so looking forward to getting to know all the features!!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,723 Posts
I think if you use the search function that is available on this forum you will be able to find answers to most of your questions.

My quick summaries based on what I read:

1) A few people have had severe problems with their 2017 Giulia. It is impossible to tell from what is on the forum if the problem rate is any worse than any other 1st year car of this complexity.

2) There is a specific thread on this point. It was unclear to me how much the Mopar extended warranty covers. Maintenance plans are also available and also unclear to me how much is covered.

3) All reviews of the AWD system that have been posted are extremely positive with the exception that the car refuses to drift.

4) Not much posted on this subject. Some dealers seem to be charging a lot for a simple oil change.

5) Set up of what? There are many threads on the forum regarding tuning wheels, tires, engine

6) I have no clue. Alfa USA seems to have a facebook page.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
1) If you're buying this car new like basically all of us here, you have a warranty, first of all. Reliability issues typically get more coverage I feel than almost all of us who don't have issues (like myself, after 6k miles)

2) Did not buy

3) I have AWD and live in snowy New Hampshire, I also have Bridgestone Blizzaks which I think are the best option. It is fantastic in the snow

4) You have a 4 yr 50k warranty, other than wearables or things you break, it shouldn't be incredibly expensive ... I say shouldn't

5) Check tire pressures, usually over inflated, make sure PDI is actually done and software updates are all complete (for me, easier said than done...) and you should be good to go

6) There is an Italian speaking group on FB called Nuova Alfa Romeo Giulia Club Italia, it is the most active Giulia group I think other than this forum. You'll impress all of the Italians with your 280hp car, as it costs a ton of money over there ... Haha

Have fun, welcome to the club

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Welcome to the party....!!

Greetings....you have just distinguished yourself !! You are no longer part of the heard !!
As to reliability....I must vehemently disagree with the stereotype of Alfas and Italian cars in general not being reliable. If your car is serviced and maintained properly, it will reward you with miles of smiles. I have a very vintage Alfa (1964) and a moderately vintage Alfa (1991)....never has either one of these cars left me stranded anywhere....they have never failed to start, they have never overheated...they have always been great....always...the issue of reliability had more to do with non qualified shadetree mechanics trying to maintain something they weren't trained to do....would you have a cardiologist or a cardiac surgeon perform your open heart surgery ? Enjoy the ride !! You are now an independent thinker ! Dino

Reactions: alfa55
1 - 4 of 4 Posts