Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking on the Giulia and Stelvio Forums for several months learning what I can and decided to join so that I can participate.

Some background: My first Alfa was a 1968 Giulia Super 1600 bought new when I graduated from college. I really loved that car and ran it to about 70,000 miles of trouble-free driving. However, I was starting to do a considerable mileage on business and I could not afford to keep three cars (wife had a station wagon) so I traded my Giulia for a new 1974 Berlina 2000. I felt at the time that the new acquisition did not provide quite the driving pleasure of the Giulia but it still handled very well and provided more space for our kids. I sold the Berlina with about 200,000 km (the country had changed over to SI units of measurement) of trouble-free driving on the "clock" when I emigrated to the US in the early 1980's.

In the mid-1990's I was very keen get a 164 but "life issues got in the way" so that was a lost cause. Then AR shrunk their international business and my dream of owning another Alfa became moot.

Consequently I was very excited to see AR release the new Giulia in the US and now really look forward to getting an Alfa in back my garage. I'm presently waiting for release of the rest of the Stelvio models and options because at this time I'm leaning towards a Stelvio QV. Second choice is the Stelvio Ti Sport with Lusso trim (assuming that Alfa provide the same options for the 2018 Stelvio Lusso as for the 2018 Giulia Lusso).

Brian

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I would think for practical purposes, the Stelvio Ti Sport would be a great choice. I honestly don't know why they'd make a QV version, as it's an SUV not a track car. Whichever way you go however, you'll love it. These new Alfas are just terrific.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Welcome Brian, thanks for joining! Have you had the opp to test drive any of your options yet? (minus the SQV)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

Several weeks ago I was able to take a short test drive in a Stelvio Ti Sport. Overall I was very impressed with the styling, general comfort and finish of the vehicle and really liked how it handled, particularly considering its ground clearance. In addition my wife liked it so thankfully no problem there!

I plan to tow a light weight camper (probably an Alto 'F' Series) touring extensively in the US and Canada and from past experience it is frustrating and tiring at best trying to tow long-haul if the vehicle power/torque is not well matched to the total train weight for all road conditions. Consequently I want the Stelvio's ground clearance and while I realize that 505 bhp is not necessary in an SUV I would far prefer to have more power than necessary over too little. In "my perfect world" a suitably de-tuned QV engine with lower power but high torque would be great but I have seen/heard nothing to indicate that AR have that configuration in their plans. Anyway, I intend to enjoy touring in a real "driver's" car with soul, stay in hotels where convenient and be self-contained when visiting more remote areas because I am well past the age when I was happy to rough it sleeping on the ground. Had more than my share of doing that, thank you!

Fortunately I am in no immediate rush to get a new vehicle so I plan to wait at least a few months for AR to release the various "future" options (including the factory tow hitch), the Stelvio trim and the QV before I make my final choice.

Meantime I will keep checking in on this Forum and the Stelvio Forum to keep up with the various topics and latest AR news.

Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts