Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never had a car faster than a Mazda 3 (regular) and one day I decided to test drive this thing. It was love at first sight. I told my wife I'm in love with this Italian car and she said okay for a lease so off I went before she realized I was serious. I'm a simple man, and I found the base model with zero options... but I loved her so much I had to buy it instead of lease so here I am with this lovely car (at an amazing price). The base wheels are a little softer than the sport (or is it the suspension) and less prone to curb rash (which I always do) so I'm very happy with zero options. Also, being my first foray into a non Japanese car I figured it was best to have the fewest things possible to break. :laugh:

I only wish I had a better stereo but I wasn't willing to pay an extra 5 grand for options I don't want to get the HK.

For comparison I tested other cars like an Acura TLX, Audi A4 etc. but none of them were interesting to me after Giulia. The runner up car was the stelvio.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Welcome. That’s the way it happens alot of the time. My first foray too (from Altima). I checked out Acura TLX Aspec SH and thought it was very nice. But after test driving the Giulia, I had a smile from the beginning and still do. Mine is a Ti Q4 Sport with many options and was a purchase too. Send pics.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome to the forum DKMM...

I had a similar experience. I was negotiating a new BMW lease to replace my 2015 435 M-Sport. Wasn't really thinking about another brand. Found out there was an Alfa dealer in Albuquerque (the only one in New Mexico) and since I was heading down there anyway, decided to drop by and see the new Alfa. A friend was with me and also was curious. We took a Ti Giulia out for a drive with one of the salesmen and WOW, I was amazed !! My friend said I was smiling from ear to ear within the first mile! I couldn't believe how well it handled, how responsive it was, the precise steering, the torque, etc. And all with 2 cylinders less than my BMW's !!

That one drive did it. Right then and there I decided an Alfa Giulia would be my next car. Goodbye BMW.

Enjoy!

Reactions: lowlight

·
Registered
228 Posts
You’ve experience the classic Alfa Romeo seduction. Once bitten, like I was about 38 years ago, you’ll be hard-pressed to own anything other than an Alfa Romeo.Then even if you step away to another make, for what you might think at the time is a rational reason, you’ll always look back with fondness on the days you owned one. Enjoy your new Giulia, and look forward to fhe journey of your life with the only automotive make steeped deeply in the history of automotive racing legends like Nuvolari and Fangio!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I never had a car faster than a Mazda 3 (regular) and one day I decided to test drive this thing. It was love at first sight. I told my wife I'm in love with this Italian car and she said okay for a lease so off I went before she realized I was serious. I'm a simple man, and I found the base model with zero options... but I loved her so much I had to buy it instead of lease so here I am with this lovely car (at an amazing price). The base wheels are a little softer than the sport (or is it the suspension) and less prone to curb rash (which I always do) so I'm very happy with zero options. Also, being my first foray into a non Japanese car I figured it was best to have the fewest things possible to break. :laugh:

I only wish I had a better stereo but I wasn't willing to pay an extra 5 grand for options I don't want to get the HK.

For comparison I tested other cars like an Acura TLX, Audi A4 etc. but none of them were interesting to me after Giulia. The runner up car was the stelvio.
Sounds just like my experience. I wanted a simple car too so did exactly what you did and got the base model from 2017. I think the stereo is quite nice, much better than my old cars. 2017's are a great deal right now aren't they!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,946 Posts

I jumped in coming from a worn out Protege. I still have the Protege as a back up vehicle, but find it hard to deal with the difference. It doesn't help that the Protege is no longer "right", but it feels as "clunky" compared to my Q4 as a contemporary Honda Accord feels compared to the Protege.

Giulia was the only car on the market that offered almost all of the features that I want/need, so there was nothing else to test drive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds just like my experience. I wanted a simple car too so did exactly what you did and got the base model from 2017. I think the stereo is quite nice, much better than my old cars. 2017's are a great deal right now aren't they!
I bought a 2018, April build. Just came off the truck that week and had shipping materials all over it still.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Already have a check engine light. Is this part of the fun of being an Alfa owner? If I get to 31 days out of service by the end of 2019, Alfa gets to buy it back from me.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Already have a check engine light. Is this part of the fun of being an Alfa owner? If I get to 31 days out of service by the end of 2019, Alfa gets to buy it back from me.
Get yourself "multiecuscan" which can tell you why the cell was thrown and clear the error so you can see if it is a persistent issue. It is also possible to get an OBD-II adapter for your smart phone and an app (I think torque is popular) although that will have more limitations than multiecuscan. The major downside with multiecuscan is that it can only run on a computer, which can be a pain to lug around. There are several discussions regarding this product in the forums. I had to clear a CEL in my car (first time, 11,000 miles) last Friday. I had just pushed the car a little (OK, floored in D for 15 seconds or so), followed by taking my foot off the accelerator and the instrument panel lit up.

There are several causes discussed in the forums of why a check engine light will get thrown. Of course the most obvious/simple would be that the fuel cap isn't on tight (this is a legally required reaction for any USA spec car, btw). Low battery charge, low fuel level, bad fuel pump, and sticky turbo waste gate are the Giulia specific ones that come to mind immediately. I presume that you have been filling her up with top-tier premium gasoline; doing otherwise is just asking for trouble.

And yes, welcome to the Italian car club. The harder the performance is pushed the more likely the car is to be "fussy". Reportedly Ferrari drivers all carry an OBD-II reader with them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never floored it, or pushed it hard in any way. 700 miles and a CEL. Only top tier gas. If the gas cap clicks, it should be tight. I'll let the dealer have a look tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion though, a scanner is a great idea.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, welcome to European car ownership I suppose. My wife complains that I don't care much about CEL's. I've had locked in alerts for years on several of my cars. Turns out things like the secondary air pump don't matter. I'm ok as long as I know what it is and have deliberately decided to ignore it. Emissions control alerts really don't matter, and I usually pull up to the testing station with a reader in hand. (On my V8 Quattro I actually pull the fuse to reset the ECU in the parking lot of the testing facility). True that new cars shouldn't have alarms, but hey, if my ear, right foot, butt performance gauge and actual gauges tell me everything is alright, let's go drive!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Welcome DKMM,
I came over from Mazdas too. In fact, even if they still made a Mazdaspeed 6, I might not have stayed. Maybe the Alfa Giulietta would have caught my eye but the Giulia Quad for me was top notch and everything I could have dreamed of in a larger saloon. It was a stretch but I plan to keep her "forever" like my Miata.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I have a 2017 QV purchased new in March received in April 2018 with 1800 miles. No CEL codes. No it is not normal. Maybe more normal to see it on this forum because this forum will show people looking for answers to a problem. Based on the number of issues vs cars sold I would not say this is an "Alfa" thing. The car is highly sensitive to everything functioning perfectly. So a low battery can be an issue but the best thing to do is to take it to your dealership. I have only had two issues and one of those was a flat tire. I do not leave my QV at the dealership. I bring it in for diagnosis and they order the part and bring it back when the part is in.

It is a great car.

If you have buyers remorse than you can start counting your days and hope for CEL lights but rack up the miles. There are folks with over 15000 miles and working on lemoning their cars so if that is a goal there is always hope.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I blame bloody auto stop/start, if you turn it off before you put car into drive most likely you will see no codes. I have mine for 15 months and as long as green light on that button no error messages.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
4,025 Posts
hmm, what software version is the car running?

there was a software update that fixed any CEL false alarms early in the piece, it is possible, because it happened to me, that the update was not applied correctly - check for all latest versions of software and check that whatever version you have is applied properly

a picture of the exact error could be helpful

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The dealer cleared the code. Said it was related to it being new and not having a good battery charge. I did use that stupid stop/start until the code cancelled it. I will turn it off now. I also got the key fob protectors in case they were interfering with the car at night (also a security issue as I park outside). Finally, I turned off the passive entry function. I didn't like it anyway. I do love the car though and for the price I paid I couldn't beat it anyway anyhow. It is better than anything I've ever driven so I'm hoping to keep it as long as she will keep going.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hmm, what software version is the car running?

there was a software update that fixed any CEL false alarms early in the piece, it is possible, because it happened to me, that the update was not applied correctly - check for all latest versions of software and check that whatever version you have is applied properly

a picture of the exact error could be helpful
I'm on the latest software. My car was built less than 4 months ago. I just ordered a code reader for the next time. I live 3 miles from the dealer so I'm not terrified of taking it in if its just to work the kinks out. I was just freaked out a little I guess. My mazda went 7 years and 92k with nary a repair or CEL and I did all my own maint so I'm not used to having issues.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome DKMM,
I came over from Mazdas too. In fact, even if they still made a Mazdaspeed 6, I might not have stayed. Maybe the Alfa Giulietta would have caught my eye but the Giulia Quad for me was top notch and everything I could have dreamed of in a larger saloon. It was a stretch but I plan to keep her "forever" like my Miata.
I got a 2002 Protege5 right when they came out. Which for a young 20s guy at the time was pretty cool. The Giulia reminds me of how that thing handled curves. I paid about 16k and traded it in for 6k so 10k of depreciation in 7 years... But life is much different now.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
I'm on the latest software. My car was built less than 4 months ago. I just ordered a code reader for the next time. I live 3 miles from the dealer so I'm not terrified of taking it in if its just to work the kinks out. I was just freaked out a little I guess. My mazda went 7 years and 92k with nary a repair or CEL and I did all my own maint so I'm not used to having issues.
My 1999 Protege has suffered a number of problems, albeit at high-ish mileage:

85000 miles: clutch gave out
90000 miles: CEL + limp mode. It took the best repair shop in town 2 months to find a broken wire to the ECM (damage from the clutch repair?)
110000 miles: radio died
119000 miles: timing belt tensioner spring broke, causing all kinds of hard to diagnose behavior. Good thing it broke just before the timing belt was due to be replaced, and not just after.
130000 miles: anti roll bar joints gave out (apparently a common problem)

Several times: driver's door window regulator broke. Flimsy plastic cable guide in all cases. Easy and inexpensive repair, but a nuisance.

So don't think that problems are unique to Alfa

1 - 20 of 21 Posts