Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a practically pristine 2017 Giulia QV with 7K miles less than a month ago and was super excited despite the reliability concerns in the back of my head. A few CELs and bugs were fine by me, it shouldn't be too bad as long as the driving experience was top notch -- or so I thought. There were also some ominous service reports from the dealer about the car having 10 visits, 31 days down, and 6 repeat services but I assumed everything must've been sorted by now and that the factory warranty until December should cover me. The sales guy brushed it off as a coddling previous owner and nothing to really worry about.

The first week I had it, it wouldn't start up after taking 2 hour journey to a winery with friends. Service electronic throttle control error + CEL. We were stuck in the parking lot and it was 100 degrees outside -- no biggie, friends got another bottle of wine as I dealt with AAA for a tow/fix. Eventually, the car sorted itself but it was in limp mode and we were able to make the trip back fine completely in limp mode. Brought it to the dealer the next Monday and they swapped out the battery. I convinced myself this was the fix -- the last guy didn't drive this beauty much and the battery was probably never replaced, made sense.

I left for a long vacation the same week the battery got replaced and didn't drive it again until this Labor day with friends where it broke down again. This time right before an intersection after pulling out of a parking lot. I've barely had <2 weeks of actual driving time with the car and it's already created a bit of a pickle for me. I had to get it towed and we all got a bit sweaty without AC waiting for the truck to arrive. Dealer's service department is chalking it up to a fuel pump this time, which won't come until 9/22, but I'm getting more worried that this might have been the reason why the last guy ditched the QV. I had no idea what a CAIR was when I purchased the car but looks like this car's already had 5 so far based on the report the dealer gave me initially.

The brief amount of time I've had the car without issues it's been a blast -- I don't think I even came close to scratching the surface of what it's capable of. I really wanted to love this car but I think the anxiety and paranoia of having it break down somewhere in 100+ degree weather with no outs makes me really hesitate to want to drive it more. Not sure what I'll do next but I honestly just really avoid any further hassle: maybe I should just turn around and sell it to Carvana or something if working things out the dealer/FCA don't pan out?

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV Rosso Competizione
329 Posts
Oh..
What's the VIN?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You running with start stop activated? Sounds like the classic starter relay.
Yeah I realized the start stop was on and pressed it before pulling out and that's when things went south. Actually just bought a start stop deactivator from Alfissimo right before the drive lol

2017 wit 7k that car has never been driven. Drive it in race mode only for 6 months. See what happens. No start stop. No dNA modes. Race only.
Sounds like fun but also worried about the downside that this doesn't fix things and now I got an out of factory warranty car with a lot more miles on it

Oh..
What's the VIN?
ZARFAEAV7H7552571

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV
30 Posts
Yeah I realized the start stop was on and pressed it before pulling out and that's when things went south. Actually just bought a start stop deactivator from Alfissimo right before the drive lol

Sounds like fun but also worried about the downside that this doesn't fix things and now I got an out of factory warranty car with a lot more miles on it

ZARFAEAV7H7552571
Buy a MOPAR extended warranty. May offer you some peace of mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buy a MOPAR extended warranty. May offer you some peace of mind.
Dealer sold me a 5yr/75K MAP warranty, but didn't mention anything about a MOPAR one. The extended warranty also doesn't seem to cover the constant anxiety of having your car potentially break down, leaving you waiting for a tow in the heat, and ruining your plans

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
710 Posts
Dealer sold me a 5yr/75K MAP warranty, but didn't mention anything about a MOPAR one. The extended warranty also doesn't seem to cover the constant anxiety of having your car potentially break down, leaving you waiting for a tow in the heat, and ruining your plans
It is a 10 minute job to replace the starter relay. Get one from @Alfissimo and drive worry free.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Go to a different dealer if this trip doesn't fix it. Also run 2 tanks of Techron fuel cleaner through once you get it back from the garage, not related to it not starting but this will pay dividends to prevent future engine miss fires. You may have a small battery drain and you let it sit for too long when you got the battery replaced the battery sensor needs some time to reset after a battery swap.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Failing low pressure fuel pumps are fairly common on 17 and 18 models. Mine (2017 QV) was replaced in the first 6 months of ownership and a friends 18 QV has been at the dealer’s for three weeks now while they wait for a new low pressure fuel pump.

But honestly, in 18,000 miles of driving, that is the only issue I have had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
Failing low pressure fuel pumps are fairly common on 17 and 18 models. Mine (2017 QV) was replaced in the first 6 months of ownership and a friends 18 QV has been at the dealer’s for three weeks now while they wait for a new low pressure fuel pump.

But honestly, in 18,000 miles of driving, that is the only issue I have had.

How low do you run your fuel tank to?

·
Registered
104 Posts
1. Don't assume the new battery is good.
2. Get a battery tender ASAP
3. Be picky about the gas you use
4. Do highway pulls in 4 or 5 gear so that WOT reaches redline.
5. Repeat #4
6. Avoid lugging the turbo engine, always downshift to accelerate

Congratulations! Don't be concerned, all high performance cars come with risk. Just enjoy and use this great forum for learning.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Since my QV is mostly a weekend car, I rarely let it drop much below 1/2 a tank. However, the fuel pump failure is not correlated to low fuel levels. I’m pretty sure there is a TSB out for this issue.

·
Registered
833 Posts
1. Don't assume the new battery is good.
2. Get a battery tender ASAP
3. Be picky about the gas you use
4. Do highway pulls in 4 or 5 gear so that WOT reaches redline.
5. Repeat #4
6. Avoid lugging the turbo engine, always downshift to accelerate

Congratulations! Don't be concerned, all high performance cars come with risk. Just enjoy and use this great forum for learning.
I would add to use Techron once every 5k miles as well.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Since my QV is mostly a weekend car, I rarely let it drop much below 1/2 a tank. However, the fuel pump failure is not correlated to low fuel levels. I’m pretty sure there is a TSB out for this issue.

I was just curious as I too rarely let the tank get below half.

·
Registered
415 Posts
2017 wit 7k that car has never been driven. Drive it in race mode only for 6 months. See what happens. No start stop. No dNA modes. Race only.
You have a warranty for a while. Put the car ONLY in dynamic mode and Race mode when possible. Drive it like you stole it.

2 things will happen. It will get the dust bunnies out of it and it will run correctly or they will have to put a new engine in
it.

Sadly shopping for QVs is the opposite of shopping for other cars. Alfimissio gave some bad advice IMO the other day and suggested going out and finding the least molested one you can find.

In my opinion, you want something on the other end of the spectrum. You do not want a beater or course that someone bought, drove hard, never changed the oil etc etc.

I would take my car, which has been drag-raced and tuned blah blah over another one that was owned by an older man who took it out of the garage once a month. The first thing I always ask people about when they post about their QVs having issues is their driving habits and it almost never fails. They drive it like a Toyota Camry.

Think about it, would you rather buy a chainsaw from a company that cuts trees and has used it and maintained it or some random guy who has let it sit in his garage for 3 years with old ass fuel in it and fouled spark plugs. The second one is going to need work to get going and honestly it will never run the same.

There should be a sticky on the top of this entire forum that advises people to go to the highway and hit some 30-70 MPH pedal to the metal runs to at least get the engine moving sometimes. No need to break the law or drive dangerously. But the car does need to be truly driven.

I assure you if they were weak cars that broke down under spirited driving I would not have a car at all and others here would not either. They would all be broken.

The ZF transmission can handle the stock power with zero issues. The rear end is super stout just do not get any wheel hop at a drag strip.

Always buy GOOD gas.

Sorry
not saying this would have saved your car. You never know. It could honestly just be a lemon. It happens. Just we see these posts ALL the time. You have a fairly common issue that should be fixable as others have stated. Get it done then drive the shit out of that car from time to time or sell it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I was just curious as I too rarely let the tank get below half.
If I see mine nearly the half way mark, I start looking for decent gas stations to make a quick pit stop. It's just one of a few quirks this car has and I try to keep certain things in mind when and before driving it, and so far its been very good to me... knock on wood! About the battery issue, mine is almost always on the tender when not driving, and results in zero issues regarding to battery juice. My start/stop still works as it should but most times if I do drive in Normal, I try to remember to disable it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. Is there a good guide on how to replace the starter relay? I did a cursory search and couldn't find one, only some discussions with pictures but no step-by-step. Also, would this be the culprit if the engine starts and sputters out over the course of a few seconds? The engine is able to hit some RPMs but can't hold it in both incidents.

Regarding battery tenders -- I don't have a garage, so the OEM Alfa one probably wouldn't be ideal. Any suggestions for battery powered ones?

Also regarding the fuel, good to note, both times this has happened I've been below 1/2, though to be honest: I'd prefer a car that doesn't need this caveat. Originally the QV was supposed to be a more practical replacement for my 911 which I haven't sold yet but looks like it might actually be the other way around. I was always scared to bust the crank hub on my old F80 M3 on WOT but I trusted it enough to haul a cross country move without a problem.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts