Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! After spending 3 years driving an ATS-V and having nothing but positive to say about it.. I’ve vowed to come back to Cadillac once the CT3/5 v series are ready. As a stopgap I fell hard for the Q.V. and wow have I loved my first 1000 miles! Will be bringing to NEDW 1/4 Wed. To get my baseline times. Achieved 12.009 in the ATS-V so that’s my barometer.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Congratulations and welcome!

I have to say that Cadillac has impressed me with the -V models they have put out over the last 10 years.

I personally would be curious to read some of your impressions of the Giulia QV compared to the ATS-V.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome! I too made the move...while it was not easy! I traded in my 2009 CTS-V...gave me nearly 8 great years! I was just so impressed with the QV that I had to take a chance. I am only a couple hundred miles in and I am constantly in love with driving this stallion. So glad to hear you’re digging yours. Keep us posted on your 1/4 times!

·
Registered
423 Posts
In for ATS-V vs QV impressions.

No other competitor comes as close to the QV in driving dynamics (or is more overlooked) than the ATS-V, IMO.

Congrats! You have excellent taste in cars!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome. Interesting choice I never had a v series car but have heard their performance was incredible. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So was able to get to the track tonight. 2 best runs posted below. I couldn’t connect off the line once. Even these 2 runs below I spun off the line. 2 times below I rev to 2000rpm but found it launched much quicker that way then no rev or even 1500rpm. Then on the final run of the night (run 7 or ?, I ran it in dynamic not race and halfway down the track the car gave me an abs warning and basically rev limited in 4th. Lucky in my way home all the warnings subsided. Just didn’t like racing in non-race mode. I was happy with the 12.004, vs my best time with the Cadillac (right after I mastered launch control) was 12.006 at 115.17 mph (I was mistaken earlier in my post about the best Cadillac time). So 1k miles on the car and first time running it and not connecting my best Alfa run beat my best Cadillac run by .002. Both bone stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
So was able to get to the track tonight. 2 best runs posted below. I couldn’t connect off the line once. Even these 2 runs below I spun off the line. 2 times below I rev to 2000rpm but found it launched much quicker that way then no rev or even 1500rpm. Then on the final run of the night (run 7 or ?, I ran it in dynamic not race and halfway down the track the car gave me an abs warning and basically rev limited in 4th. Lucky in my way home all the warnings subsided. Just didn’t like racing in non-race mode. I was happy with the 12.004, vs my best time with the Cadillac (right after I mastered launch control) was 12.006 at 115.17 mph (I was mistaken earlier in my post about the best Cadillac time). So 1k miles on the car and first time running it and not connecting my best Alfa run beat my best Cadillac run by .002. Both bone stock.
That's awesome....2500 rpm seems to be the sweet spot for launch. You smoked the car in the second run.

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow that event looks great! And lots of time slots available as of now (Friday and Sundays). My other car (wife’s car) is the 2018 Cadillac CT6 with Super Cruise and TT3.0. It’s an amazing car and what I bought when I sold the ATS-V but my wife fell in love with it and I had the need for more speed so got the q.v.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
CT6 is a cool car, IMO.

If nothing else, Cadillac (strangely enough) is the last stronghold of RWD performance as BMW/MB/Audi have all gone AWD.

No one gives it credit but ATS-V vs QV is really the question in terms of pure driving dynamics & performance. Both sacrifice creature comforts, tech, & material quality in the pursuit of driving fun, IMO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In comparing the two (and the nastalga of the qv hasn’t worn so that plays a small role);

Cabin;

Alfa upgraded steering wheel makes you feel like your in a race car and ATS-v wasn’t like that. Alfa wins here.

Non-racing seats in either; Alfa’s seats are much more comfortable and holding than ATS-V. And positioned low and you feel like your in something special. Not the case in ATS. That said the seat belt bell didn’t ring forever in the ATS, so huge bonus there. But Alfa wins.

Infotainment; I prefer the Cadillac menu and navigation, but no-fingerprints with Alfa and no leaning forward with all the controls at your side or wheel. Just for prints alone I’d take the Alfa. Alfa wins.

Daily driver (I commute 90mi round trip a few days a week); cadillac CT6 has super cruise and 34 speaker bose Panaray so it’s what I wanna be driving to work... but staying on q.v. and ATS-v; Alfa wins here too - didn’t have adaptive cruse or Lane keep or anything in ATS-v but have all of that in q.v. adaptive Cruze down to stop works amazing and where GM only has 3 gap settings Alfa has 5 and on Highway the gap is small enough people don’t try to cut in (they do with the smallest good morning!! Gap). Alfa wins

Stereo - ats-v upgraded system with bose sub was much nicer sound and bass than the q.v. and wireless Bluetooth phone integration where you have to be plugged in q.v. (neither holds a candle to the panaray system in the ct6 but I am confident the high end auti and Benz systems blow the panaray away). ATS-V wins

Driving and noise and attention;

Engine/exhaust noise; alfa alfa alfa! But #1 reason isn’t for what you’d think; I leave for work at 4:45am and starting the Alfa in “a” yields hardly any noise from the pipes. Neighbors love that... and when I pull into my hood I switch to a and it’s so quiet and unassuming! On a first start with ATS-v regardless of mode it was wide open and loud. Then just the shift feel and fararri feel in race the Alfa is hands down a different beast than the Cadillac. Alfa wins

Attention; both cars are unique. Had the q.v. 2 weeks at this point and over 100 strangers have commented on it. Young and old alike. Kids have asked to take a pic of it. That said ever other day someone would comment on the ATS also. Alfa wins here in the short time I’ve had it, but that could equal out (the bright blue on the Cadillac also played a role). Alfa wins but too early to tell.

Driving dynamics;
Let’s face it, either of these cars is going to take down 98% of the cars (or bikes) that wanna play on the highway or at a stop light. Both register equal 1/4 (when I’m driving) and both do both acceleration and raw power and top end well above average. Both also hold the road amazing yet I never raced anything but in a straight line, but the Alfa just feels special in the turning radius and the shift paddles are amazing and so responsive, well above the Cadillac. As for suspension I think the Cadillac is every bit as good as the q.v. and Cadillac stops better (even with my qv having ceramics), having launch and heads up in the Cadillac also a huge advantage there for my drag needs. But this is where nestalga of the q.v. being new plays a role. Alfa wins

Last but far from least - The money factor;
I’ve driven GM cars since I got my license (84 Grand Prix 305 v8 was my first car... 2008 Pontiac G8 GT was my fav car before these two I’m writing about). My father worked 30 years and retired from GM. With good morning!! Loyalty cash and other incentives on the ATS-v and GM employee price (I’ve found it to be a huge savings where others who negotiate well prob say it’s not all it’s cracked up to be)... I paid almost $30k less for the ATS-v than the Alfa. My payments were 1/2!! I also chose to go with an ATS-v with our a single add on except the color (no racing seats no sun roof no race or lux package). And cause that way too flashy color was the only car with those minimal upgrades I had to choose it but also got into the cheapest ATS v around. All the performance without some fairly useless upgrades. With similar performance and still amazing looks at a fraction of the price (for me at least) ATS v wins!

Reliability;
Again too early to tell but I never paid one penny if oil change or maintenance through 50k miles with the ATS-v. Not a single problem or even a recall! No 30k mile serp. Belt service (q.v. owners will see that coming) and my only expense was gas and all season tires and about 3 flats over the life. ATS wins by default!

And because of reliability of the Cadillac and verdict still being out for the q.v. maintenance and reliability wise... i still plan on selling and getting the ATS-v replacement (ct3-v or ct5-v) when it’s built and ships around the 2020 timeframe. Alfa has till then to convert me (so far I’m confident it can).

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
... adaptive Cruze down to stop works amazing and where GM only has 3 gap settings Alfa has 5 and on Highway the gap is small enough people don’t try to cut in (they do with the smallest good morning!! Gap). Alfa wins
I do not think that the Alfa has 5 gap settings for adaptive cruise control. Going from memory I thought it was 3, but I just looked at an electronic copy of the owners manual, and it says that there are 4 settings. So 4 must be the right answer. For me the smallest gap is not tight enough because I have had cars jump into the gap. And when that happens the Alfa will hit the brakes hard to re-establish the gap. After having had a car with adaptive cruise control, for me it is not a "must have" feature for future cars.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the detailed comparison OP!

Value is the biggest factor driving the ATS-V for me too, GM can't give them away, which is a shame - but very tempting.

In the end I think I'll end up with a QV anyway, but should finances head south an ATS-V is such a great consolation prize!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oops you are absolutely correct, there are 4 gap settings for the adaptive Cruise control in the Giulia vs 3 in GM cars. I do feel the smallest setting at highway pace in the qv yields a tighter gap than the smallest gm setting (both in the ct6 and also own a 2016 Chevy Malibu premium with adaptive). But only a few weeks with q.v. as comparison thus far. It’s crazy how we’re at a day in age to compare the gap settings for automatic breaking! But with a long commute and plenty of periods of stop and go... it’s a near requirement for future vehicles I purchase.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Great Review

nice to get a review from a past owner gives you a better perspective.
the CTS-V and ATS-V were both options I was considering prior to the QV..
I like the fact that I could get a manual and I actually liked the styling of the cars...
Problem was getting an ATS-V...none of the dealers in my area stocked them..and those that did didn't have what I wanted...drove the car at Monticello and it was impressive...but I became obsessed with the QV:grin2: and frankly having driven it also at Monticello...the QV is hands down the better car at a road course.
Enjoy your new ride!
M

1 - 20 of 23 Posts