Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just joined in the ownership club. I picked up my QV on friday and immediately drove it from St. Louis to Seattle. I know it's a lot of miles to put on the car right away, however, I got a great deal and was looking forward to the drive.

To get it out of the way... This beast is amazing! It was a blast having so much power on hand ready for me to summon it!

I'll break down my review by category and hopefully you all get something out of it and can help me with some questions I might have.

2017 Black QV. Pretty base except for blind spot warning and HK audio. 8K miles when I received it. Only mods done is a rather dark tint on back and sides and a visor tint on front.

Comfort:

It took a little adjusting but luckily I had some time on my hands to do so but I got the seat (non racing) dialed in to be right when I want it. I didn't experience much driver fatigue... not any more than you would expect from some 14hr drives. Everything seemed to be right in reach.

Thanks to another thread on here I had pre ordered the WizGear Magnetic mount () and was very pleased with where I was able to place my phone and how well it held it. I have an iPhone with a thin case. The magnet between iPhone and case seemed to be the perfect combination of hold strength and not ripping the dashboard off when I removed the phone.

I found that my elbows found good places to rest but was worried that my palm might trigger the car to go into park when at a stop. I know that while I was driving and my right hand was rested on the shifter I would press the park button occasionally. Not sure if it would actually go into park with an inadvertent press of the button at a stop. We'll see. Maybe requiring a press of the trigger with the top button would solve this.

Performance:

Awesome! Most of the driving was on open highway but when I found myself on a back road, on ramp, off ramp, or trying to find a gas station... This beast was FUN!

For the most part I cruised in "A" mode because there wasn't much need for anything else. But when I found my self getting off the highway... it immediately went into "D" or "Race" for sound and performance purposes. I found the paddle shifters extremely responsive and quick. I purchased this car after selling my 2012 Audi A6 3.0SC and (obviously a totally different car) found the upgrade to be extremely rewarding. Was a little worried about the smaller tank and how often I would need to stop for gas but found myself pulling off the highway way more than necessary just to get back up to speed later :)

Infotainment:

The system seemed to have what I need but definitely could use some improvement. I didn't buy the car for it's infotainment so I'm not that worried about it. I used a combination of my iPhone and the built in nav in the car. I enjoyed how well that worked with the lane suggestions and how it would pop up on the cluster when a turn was coming.

Connecting my phone was no issue at all. I don't quite understand the "auto on" "auto resume" or "off" function. I ended up just turning it to "off" when the car starts. It didn't seem to resume the last connection that well and when it did... it would often just find some random song in my phone's library and start blasting it.

I found that the speaker system was definitely loud enough for my taste. I don't blast it loud at all. It sounds alright but not incredible. Again... didn't buy the car for this purpose. I tweaked the treble, mid, bass along my drive but pretty much ended up leaving them at 0.

I got great feedback on the quality of the hands free calling. My A6 was terrible... I was told that it sounded like I was speaking into the phone with it up to my head.

I couldn't figure out if it is possible to activate Siri from the steering wheel controls. A long press (like in most cars) didn't seem to do the trick. Thoughts?

Wow factor:

This thing turns heads!!! If you want to stand out among the BMWs and Mercs... This is definitely the car! I had people taking pictures and videos as I drove by them. But I guess they don't seem something like this that often in nebraska. The best moment was when some old guy pulling a camper pulled up next to me at a gas pump... he got out... came around the pump... looked at my car... and said "mmmm camaro". I just let him be and left. no sense correcting him IMO.

Fun Times:

A few moments of my drive really stuck out. Coming down the mountains in Utah I had a M6 pull up behind me and ride my tail for a little while. They were definitely looking to race. I moved over... they sat beside me for a little while but sped off once they realized I was not interested. I let them have their moment in the spotlight... my car is better... period.

Stayed at an Air BnB that was down a 1/4mile dirt road. Bad idea and made me very nervous... specially when the rain came that night and I had to leave the next morning in the wet. The car did alright and I took it grandma slow but definitely made sure my next stop was on a paved road. When arriving at the spot the host came out and said they went ahead and left their dog in the house because he likes to jump on on cars and great the guests. I'm very thankful that didn't happen!

When crossing the mountains in Washington I definitely had some fears. I kept climbing and climbing... fun back roads became wet back roads which then became snowy back roads and then icy back roads.... I nursed the car through every foggy turn because I wasn't ready to test the performance in this environment. Tires are new but still the OEM P Zeros. Definitely had some struggles with closed roads and lack of phone service through the various passes I tried but I eventually made it. Once I got low enough for the fog to not be an issue but the road was still wet... I tested out the performance a little. I was actually surprised how much wet road grip the tires had. I know they aren't great in wet... but I expected them to be awful. They were ok. I'm coming from a Quattro so I'm used to a little more wet traction.

Quirks:

At speeds north of 60/65 there seemed to be a whistle that would creep in on the passenger side. I was trying to pin point it on my drive and I think it is coming from the side mirror. I pulled over... folded the mirrors in... took off and didn't notice it. Then folded them out and it came back. I wasn't experiencing the cabin pressure issues another person on this forum stated... just a whistle. Any thoughts?

I seemed to occasionally get some false "clicks" from the paddle shifters. They are super responsive so I would find my self just tapping them instead of a firm tug. Because of this, mainly on down shifts, I would get the "click" but not the gear change. Probably just something I need to get used to.

I found no need for the "N" setting on the drive mode selector.

When driving over the pass and the temp dropped below 36 one of my tires threw a LP warning. I monitored it through the rest of the drive but I'm sure that would be normal given the temp change.

I get a good bit of front end jumping when at a slow full lock turn... I'm sure that's largely the tire type but anyone else experiencing this?

Once my drive was over and I got back into the car to leave my house... I got a service light... restarted and it went away. Then it came back the next time I started but after I topped off my tire that threw the LP warning... i've had not issues. I suppose it was related.

At one point in my drive I messed with some button combination that seemed to swap the left and right apps for the split screen. I was nice to be able to do that but I have no idea how I did... Maybe I was just pressing buttons and getting lucky.

Trunk seems to take a "larger than average" amount of force to close it. Solid close but normally took two tries.

I killed a lot of bugs on this drive!

I had to put 87 in it! I had a moment in my drive where I realized I wasn't going to make it to the next gas station. So I looked up what the nearest one was behind me and found one within range. It was off the beaten path but down a really fun road. I had a great time getting there but then realized that it was a small country store... full service only... single pump... gas station that only had 87. I didn't have the gas to get anywhere else... So I only put in 5 gallons so I could make it to the next station and fill up the rest with premium. Haven't seen any repercussions from it yet... But it definitely made me worried.

Overall:

Loved my drive... averaged about 25mpg... would have been closer to 27 had I not had my fun time in the mountain passes. Excited to drive this thing more... maybe not put the miles on as fast as the first 3 days...

I hope you all find something interesting in this read. If you have any questions or some solutions... please reach out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I enjoyed reading your report. What an awesome way to spend 3 days with your new car.
Congratulations!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
nice drive.
slow full lock jumping - ackerman steering design, search for threads on the topic.
normal if they read the way you experience it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Congrats on the QV purchase!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another little quirk I forgot to mention. Might be an issue with the speed/volume adjust but when I would break hard... the audio would sound like it's being detuned. Like when you would slow down an old cassette. Maybe I'm crazy.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Nice report!

You cannot call up Siri via the steering wheel...nor via any other car system.

In infotainment settings, you can choose the split screen option, and choose to show radio or nav on the right side of the screen.

EDIT: Oh, and check your window sticker for the rare option 42C: Camaro bodykit. ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
"I get a good bit of front end jumping when at a slow full lock turn... I'm sure that's largely the tire type but anyone else experiencing this?"

If the cold outside those Pirelli's will jump around and scare the sh*t out of you until the warm up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice report!

You cannot call up Siri via the steering wheel...nor via any other car system.

In infotainment settings, you can choose the split screen option, and choose to show radio or nav on the right side of the screen.

EDIT: Oh, and check your window sticker for the rare option 42C: Camaro bodykit. ;)
My old A6 and my wife's Yukon Denali will allow you to access Siri with a long press of the voice prompt button.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
My old A6 and my wife's Yukon Denali will allow you to access Siri with a long press of the voice prompt button.
Oh, I meant that in your Giulia, there is no car system which will call up Siri, neither a steering wheel mounted button, nor a console or dash button. iPhone compatibility is very poor; no SMS replies from the infotainment center either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, I meant that in your Giulia, there is no car system which will call up Siri, neither a steering wheel mounted button, nor a console or dash button. iPhone compatibility is very poor; no SMS replies from the infotainment center either.
I figured there wasn't a way. Didn't buy it for it's iPhone support so I'm ok with just dealing with turning the stereo down and saying "hey siri". No big deal. Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio, Sport, Vesuvio Grey on Red
50 Posts
If I hold down the large control wheel on my console, it calls up Siri. I have not tried from the steering wheel but I will.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
If I hold down the large control wheel on my console, it calls up Siri. I have not tried from the steering wheel but I will.
Really? Are you sure? Which model year car do you have? Over Bluetooth or wired?

Mine does not do that, nor have I heard or seen any Giulia do that, so that would be an interesting finding.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I figured there wasn't a way. Didn't buy it for it's iPhone support so I'm ok with just dealing with turning the stereo down and saying "hey siri". No big deal. Thanks for your response!
The MY18 Giulias with CarPlay offer steering wheel call up of Siri when the phone is connected via USB.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Really? Are you sure? Which model year car do you have? Over Bluetooth or wired?

Mine does not do that, nor have I heard or seen any Giulia do that, so that would be an interesting finding.
My Giulia is a 2018, got it in May. It works when connected via USB, have not tried it via blue tooth, and have not tried it from the steering wheel, but I will - just keep forgetting to try it.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
My Giulia is a 2018, got it in May. It works when connected via USB, have not tried it via blue tooth, and have not tried it from the steering wheel, but I will - just keep forgetting to try it.
Can you advise us on which info operating software you’re running and your build date, too, please?

It’s not a MY18 thing, but may be a feature of a new software release.

My MY18 is running 056.000.007, and does not call up Siri from a long push on the rotary controller when connected to iPhone via USB.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can you advise us on which info operating software you’re running and your build date, too, please?

It’s not a MY18 thing, but may be a feature of a new software release.

My MY18 is running 056.000.007, and does not call up Siri from a long push on the rotary controller when connected to iPhone via USB.
My build date was 10/2017. I don't know how to find out what software version I am running. If you can let me know I will check later and respond here.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
My build date was 10/2017. I don't know how to find out what software version I am running. If you can let me know I will check later and respond here.
Thanks. You can view the software version in Settings>System>Software Update>Current Version.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts