Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself. This is my first non-Japanese car brand and was a bit hesitant, but I figured I'd give it a try. I traded in my 2015 Acura TLX Tech for my Giulia Ti 1 week ago. I cross-shopped the Audi A4 premium plus, Acura TLX A-spec, Lexus IS 350 F-sport, MB C300 and Jaguar XE. Options on my Giulia Rosso Competizione include:

Sport package
Driver assist dynamic package
Ti performance package
Dual-pane sunroof
Upgraded nav
Harman-Kardon audio system

Only thing I wish I added was the leather package, but I'm very happy for the most part! Here are a few pics I took at work yesterday. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome :)
Congrats :grin2:

Welcome to the Q2 Club!

We've had our Q2 about three weeks now, 500 miles now. Most of the time it's just N-Auto, but up in the canyons I'm using D-Manual. She's a nice saloon.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Just wanted to introduce myself. This is my first non-Japanese car brand and was a bit hesitant, but I figured I'd give it a try. I traded in my 2015 Acura TLX Tech for my Giulia Ti 1 week ago. I cross-shopped the Audi A4 premium plus, Acura TLX A-spec, Lexus IS 350 F-sport, MB C300 and Jaguar XE.
Welcome! I too came from the JDM only world of RX7s and Toyotas and haven't looked back, more so forward! You'll love her and the looks you get :D

I pretty much looked/tested at the same list as you but added as s3/4 in there and none of them jumped after driving the Alfa.. glad you had the same experience!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome :)
Congrats :grin2:

Welcome to the Q2 Club!

We've had our Q2 about three weeks now, 500 miles now. Most of the time it's just N-Auto, but up in the canyons I'm using D-Manual. She's a nice saloon.
I had to get the Q2! Driving experience of the regular Ti was better than the others I test drove. Fortunately, I had an awesome sales person that allowed me to DRIVE the cars back to back with the Q2 and what a difference!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! I too came from the JDM only world of RX7s and Toyotas and haven't looked back, more so forward! You'll love her and the looks you get :D

I pretty much looked/tested at the same list as you but added as s3/4 in there and none of them jumped after driving the Alfa.. glad you had the same experience!
I've received quite a bit of looks and a few have stopped me to talk! I agree! I've been telling a few coworkers and friends that stick with Japanese or German brands to just give it a test drive. I test drove those other cars back to back and was underwhelmed.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Always interesting to hear about the cars that were cross shopped. I took the BMW I'm selling in for a PPI yesterday and got a 4 series 430i x drive grand coupe as a loaner. Another confirmation for me that the Giulia was absolutely the right choice for me.

I still prefer the noise of a straight 6 and feel of the brakes in the 330i ZHP that I'm selling. I'm hopeful that over time the are going to be options for enhancing the Giulia 4 cylinder 'grrrr' when it's working hard and just maybe putting some more feel into that brake pedal.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Always interesting to hear about the cars that were cross shopped. I took the BMW I'm selling in for a PPI yesterday and got a 4 series 430i x drive grand coupe as a loaner. Another confirmation for me that the Giulia was absolutely the right choice for me.

I still prefer the noise of a straight 6 and feel of the brakes in the 330i ZHP that I'm selling. I'm hopeful that over time the are going to be options for enhancing the Giulia 4 cylinder 'grrrr' when it's working hard and just maybe putting some more feel into that brake pedal.
I've got to admit that the brake feel of my Ti Q2 is, uhm, different. She stops very nicely and right now when I need to stop fast. But my foot is used to a diiferent feel and different feedback.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You weren't on the 15S yesterday around 5p were you? Otherwise, there is another red Ti floating around.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just wanted to introduce myself. This is my first non-Japanese car brand and was a bit hesitant, but I figured I'd give it a try. I traded in my 2015 Acura TLX Tech for my Giulia Ti 1 week ago. I cross-shopped the Audi A4 premium plus, Acura TLX A-spec, Lexus IS 350 F-sport, MB C300 and Jaguar XE. Options on my Giulia Rosso Competizione include:

Sport package
Driver assist dynamic package
Ti performance package
Dual-pane sunroof
Upgraded nav
Harman-Kardon audio system

Only thing I wish I added was the leather package, but I'm very happy for the most part! Here are a few pics I took at work yesterday. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
WELCOME!! I knew there had to be others out there in Vegas, since we have two dealerships. Hopefully I'll see you on the road someday! Did you get yours at Towbin or Findlay?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got to admit that the brake feel of my Ti Q2 is, uhm, different. She stops very nicely and right now when I need to stop fast. But my foot is used to a diiferent feel and different feedback.
I totally understand where you're coming from. It feels a bit artificial, there isn't very much travel. It sorta reminds me of a video game. It probably has to do with it being brake-by-wire. I read somewhere that it was related to safety standards. A traditional hydraulic system would intrude into wheel well and cause more injury vs an electro-hydraulic system that uses wire connections. Not sure how they could improve simulating a more natural brake feel but it would definitely inspire more confidence when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WELCOME!! I knew there had to be others out there in Vegas, since we have two dealerships. Hopefully I'll see you on the road someday! Did you get yours at Towbin or Findlay?
Thanks!! I haven't seen another Giulia around, would definitely be nice to see another! I got mine from Towbin, they were awesome. How about you?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
You weren't on the 15S yesterday around 5p were you? Otherwise, there is another red Ti floating around.
That was probably me! I was in that area heading towards Spring Mountain.. Best place to get Korean BBQ
If we're talking about Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch near Pahrump, Nevada, I drove Spring Mountain about eight years ago in my father's GTV (1972 Alfa Romeo GTV). Nice track!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I totally understand where you're coming from. It feels a bit artificial, there isn't very much travel. It sorta reminds me of a video game. It probably has to do with it being brake-by-wire. I read somewhere that it was related to safety standards. A traditional hydraulic system would intrude into wheel well and cause more injury vs an electro-hydraulic system that uses wire connections. Not sure how they could improve simulating a more natural brake feel but it would definitely inspire more confidence when coming to a stop.
Not trying to hijack the thread...

I was talking with my dealer mechanic recently. He described the Giulia brake system as a hydraulic system with an accumulator and pump. The brake pedal opens and closes a valve that controls flow and pressure. This is the type of hydraulic system used to lift a dump truck bed.

What I don't know, is how AR simulates pressure and feedback to the foot.

I was trained in hydraulic systems by the US Army. I used to wrench on old Rolls Royce cars at an independent repair shop. Rollers have a similar brake system with a rubber block under the pedal to provide the sensation of pressure. I bet one of the aftermarket companies could come up with something that would help.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If we're talking about Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch near Pahrump, Nevada, I drove Spring Mountain about eight years ago in my father's GTV (1972 Alfa Romeo GTV). Nice track!
Talking about the road... but
. It's a brilliant track!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,716 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread...

I was talking with my dealer mechanic recently. He described the Giulia brake system as a hydraulic system with an accumulator and pump. The brake pedal opens and closes a valve that controls flow and pressure. This is the type of hydraulic system used to lift a dump truck bed.

What I don't know, is how AR simulates pressure and feedback to the foot.

I was trained in hydraulic systems by the US Army. I used to wrench on old Rolls Royce cars at an independent repair shop. Rollers have a similar brake system with a rubber block under the pedal to provide the sensation of pressure. I bet one of the aftermarket companies could come up with something that would help.
Interesting. The manufacturer says it is brake by wire--the foot pedal operates a sensor (rheostat?) and a computer converts that into operations on the hydraulic system. The system is supposed to have multiple redundancy built into both the sensor and the computer in order to make it dependable enough for a critical safety system.

What you describe is more like the 19th century technology air brakes found on large trucks (adapted from steam trains). They too have "numb" brake feel, plus delayed operation of the brakes (making controlled emergency stops of a big rig very difficult). At least with hydraulic brakes you don't have to worry about water and/or ice building up in the brake lines or an air compressor that can't keep up with repeated brake actuations.

Oh, and my dump truck did not have any kind of accumulator. Just a no-pressure tank, pump and an up-down valve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts