Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I previous posted in the local thread but wanted to post here to say thanks to everyone. I live in Tampa but found a deal in rural TX on a 2017 with 60 miles. Monza Red, turbine wheels, yellow calipers, and black interior. Thanks to everyone here I was able to make sure that the new code programmed, it did get a new battery, the AC fix was in, plus the other 1000 questions I asked the sales person.

A couple of disclaimers: I literally just got home. The manual is still wrapped so if I ask or say something obvious, or obviously stupid, give me a bit of a break. Second I listened to David Spade's audio book during the drive. Funny as **** but if this gets a little snarky, I blame him. You should do. Besides he has a better legal team than I do.

Buying the car was easy. No real surprises. No pressure. No extra fees. Sign here, put this in the glove box, would you like a bottle of water, thanks again.

I saw the post with the engine break in guidance, so I set up a waypoint that would take down some secondary roads. Five minutes after leaving the dealer I was having a bit of a mental break down. Waze ended up taking me down a gravel road. The unable to activate start stop warning came on. I could not get comfortable in the seat. And the radio sounded like I was listening to music through a walkie-talkie from Radio Shack. Everything negative on the Internet is coming true!!

The gravel road was short so I just went super slow. I googled the start stop warning and the found that can be caused from the hood not being complete latched. We did look under the hood so that made sense. Open and close the hood like man this time and the warning vanished. Thanks to whomever posted that.

The seats are super firm. But they did break in nicely. But the end of the day it didn't bother me. I think it is just the stiff foam they use. I do wish they had a tilt for the bottom and not just the back.

The stereo is interesting. It really did sound sub par, but I just listened to the audio book for a few hours. Afterward when I changed back to music, it sounded so much better. Definitely not like at first. I thought the people who broke is speakers and could tell the difference were nut jobs. "Yeah I got a hotel so I could play white noise at 80% volume for 3 days and they sound so much better" But after my experience with Guilia, I may need to rethink my position. This might also explain why the people looking to buy an Alfa say the stereo sounds crappy but all the owners think it is fine. Maybe mine is just different because it sat for a year.

I do have a sun roof but I am not sure I would care if the car didn't have it. I sit very up right so I can use my body to steer. I that position, the middle of my head is at the front of the sunroof. My eyes are 3 inches in front of it. I am never going to see it unless the wife grants me that fantasy and I need to recline the seat... Yeah I am never going to see it.

The car is a joy to drive. Two lane passing is a dream. Some of the controls are not so dreamy. How do I get to my favorite saved stations? Some of the controls are close to the BMW but different enough to confuse me.

I love the car. Thanks again to everyone.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
805 Posts
Nice break-in

I previous posted in the local thread but wanted to post here to say thanks to everyone...

The stereo is interesting. It really did sound sub par, but I just listened to the audio book for a few hours. Afterward when I changed back to music, it sounded so much better. Definitely not like at first. I thought the people who broke is speakers and could tell the difference were nut jobs. "Yeah I got a hotel so I could play white noise at 80% volume for 3 days and they sound so much better" But after my experience with Guilia, I may need to rethink my position. This might also explain why the people looking to buy an Alfa say the stereo sounds crappy but all the owners think it is fine. Maybe mine is just different because it sat for a year.

The car is a joy to drive. Two lane passing is a dream. Some of the controls are not so dreamy. How do I get to my favorite saved stations? Some of the controls are close to the BMW but different enough to confuse me.

I love the car. Thanks again to everyone.
Welcome and congrats. Monza is a rare and cool color.

I agree about being a disbeliever about the “stereo wear-in”, and being suprised when the system actually improved (significantly) during the first 10-20 hours. Without a doubt the most significant upgrade to the Infotainment system in summer of 2017 (the one that added th 7th preset) improved the sound quality, and allowed me to adjust the tone controls to nearly flat (-2 on bass, +1 on mid and 0 treble). Before that the bass performance was a hot mess. Also turn off surround sound, by my tastes. Surround processors do wierd stuff to the music. Some of it sounds OK, but much goes to ****. good old stereo for me.

Presets are easy: tune to radio station you want, pull back (towards rear of car) on selector knob (the big wheel on the console) to bring up the preset selection, rotate to the preset you want and press and hold the selector knob. You’ll hear a beep, which will then encode the preset with your channel number. Presets above 7, are on the far right, select that to roll down the larger list and add them there. Presets work for Sirius channels too.

Hope this helps and avanti alfisti,

Reactions: Montecarlo

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Good for you. Very cool color. Cool wheels and OMG you are a risk taker. I thought Alfa’s broke down which is why I was dumb and had mine transported. Wish I would have gone your route. Congrats and rest up. You are right. I am the wife, husband bought a QV and he never gets to drive it. Hope you enjoyed those miles :eek:). Just kidding.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Welcome and enjoy! In just 34 hours you have now run-in your car, excellent!

Looks like you are figuring out the nuances of the car. Believe me there is a way to save and call up your favorite radio stations. I tried reading the manual but in the end just sat int he car and played with the center knob and the menu button settings until I figured it out. I don't use the AM/FM radio all that much, but it is an HD Radio so its sounds pretty decent. I use Apple CarPlay a lot and have 1,000's of tunes on my phone to play. I think that the audio sounds fine (I did get the HK audio option) and it did improve over a few weeks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good for you. Very cool color. Cool wheels and OMG you are a risk taker. I thought Alfa’s broke down which is why I was dumb and had mine transported. Wish I would have gone your route. Congrats and rest up. You are right. I am the wife, husband bought a QV and he never gets to drive it. Hope you enjoyed those miles :eek:). Just kidding.
HA!! My wife drives and likes her Tahoe. The Guilia is different enough that she won't be asking to drive it. Now if I would have bought a Stelvio that would have been a different story.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Love the color .. same as ours except with red calipers. The speakers did get better once we tuned it in to our taste.. but wife listens to top 40 80s **** and I listen to Heavy Metal.. lol . but wife and I spend more time talking to each other while driving than listening to music. I have 12800 miles on our girl.. still no problems and we are going on another trip Tuesday!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
HA!! My wife drives and likes her Tahoe. The Guilia is different enough that she won't be asking to drive it. Now if I would have bought a Stelvio that would have been a different story.
Just the opposite here. My husband uses his truck for RV hauling and range use. He would prefer an SUV for going to the range (dirt roads) and with a rear that can be used for utility vs a F350 for that purpose. Less gas, easier to get around in tight spaces etc. The QV is NOT appropriate for that so he is stuck with the Mini Cooper for that. Once she has 100,000 miles we will swap her out for an SUV. We will be looking for smaller SUV not as big as the larger ones. They say they are coming out with a smaller SUV than the Stelvio. I think that is already a small SUV so maybe they are going to shrink and stretch it into a wagon like BMW. Don't know yet but I keep looking. In any case we are not ready to invest in two AR products until we see some longevity. The QV is awesome but one is enough for now but we will see what the future brings.

Enjoy your ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.