Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Veloce 2.0T blackvolcano + 166 2.4 20v jtd
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all of you guys from Croatian Alfa lover:love:!

Last month i bought my first Giulia Veloce 2.0T Q4 (not first Alfa, so I truly love them), i think is 2017, but first reg in October 2018. I had trip from Croatia to Netherlands for business, about 1300km (800mi), no issues, also here while work, every day, all perfect, completely happy with the car!!!! it has 96000 km, 60000 miles ish.... Sunday morning after 2 days of not driving and under heavy rain my car unlocked itself, opened trunk by itself, and also car alarm started .... front lights (DRL) going on and off .... went downstairs, unplugged minus cable and I thought it was battery, which was because it didn`t want to start anymore.... Monday bought new, bigger BOSCH AGM 95A, installed it and then Horror started.....

Right handed DRL and blinker fault, definitely not working, as soon as i connected cable, xenons were on.... no way to switch them off.... car started normally and all others seemed perfect....
And then :eek::eek::eek::eek: SMOKE spotted under hood together with stink, i thought wtf howwwww????? wHHHHHHHYYYYYYY?????

Is just bad luck probably, opened the bonnet, smoke coming behind turbo, it is water coolant and right bottle looking car direction is loosing water, thrilling, i turned car off, but like I told Xenon lights stayed on..... And I noticed that front cooling ventilator/fan literally started running while I switched car off... I didn`t run the car all together 3 minutes, it was cold... it shouldn`t be running right?

I found here on forum that is that o-ring on watercoolant pipe which should be modified already by Alfas SB... Is SB performed? Don`t know....But i know previous owner wanted official dealer to take turbo down to replace the gaskets..... is what I heard... I know where it was serviced...

There is a nearby dealer here and he is available in 8 days.... I will have to wait for him, what can I do, that one seems most reliable and is closest... my question for you guys is am I having bad luck or can I expect chaos with car?

Do you guys think is it smart to put some water coolant fluid just to handle slow drive to garage while leaking over turbo? is a short drive, or better safe than sorry and get towtruck which are extremely expensive here in Netherlands....

Thank you guys for reading and giving me some info/thoughts....

I miss her drive very very much:cry:....

And also, I will have to take money out of my pocket... Hope it is not going to be nasty....

But on top of everything I still have positive thoughts.....

·
Registered
5,442 Posts

Last month i bought my first Giulia Veloce 2.0T Q4 (not first Alfa, so I truly love them), i think is 2017, but first reg in October 2018. I had trip from Croatia to Netherlands for business, about 1300km (800mi), no issues, also here while work, every day, all perfect, completely happy with the car!!!! it has 96000 km, 60000 miles ish.... Sunday morning after 2 days of not driving and under heavy rain my car unlocked itself, opened trunk by itself, and also car alarm started .... front lights (DRL) going on and off .... went downstairs, unplugged minus cable and I thought it was battery, which was because it didn`t want to start anymore.... Monday bought new, bigger BOSCH AGM 95A, installed it and then Horror started.....

Right handed DRL and blinker fault, definitely not working, as soon as i connected cable, xenons were on.... no way to switch them off.... car started normally and all others seemed perfect....
And then :eek::eek::eek::eek: SMOKE spotted under hood together with stink, i thought wtf howwwww????? wHHHHHHHYYYYYYY?????

Is just bad luck probably, opened the bonnet, smoke coming behind turbo, it is water coolant and right bottle looking car direction is loosing water, thrilling, i turned car off, but like I told Xenon lights stayed on..... And I noticed that front cooling ventilator/fan literally started running while I switched car off... I didn`t run the car all together 3 minutes, it was cold... it shouldn`t be running right?

I found here on forum that is that o-ring on watercoolant pipe which should be modified already by Alfas SB... Is SB performed? Don`t know....But i know previous owner wanted official dealer to take turbo down to replace the gaskets..... is what I heard... I know where it was serviced...

There is a nearby dealer here and he is available in 8 days.... I will have to wait for him, what can I do, that one seems most reliable and is closest... my question for you guys is am I having bad luck or can I expect chaos with car?

Do you guys think is it smart to put some water coolant fluid just to handle slow drive to garage while leaking over turbo? is a short drive, or better safe than sorry and get towtruck which are extremely expensive here in Netherlands....

And also, I will have to take money out of my pocket... Hope it is not going to be nasty....

I think you’d be ok refilling with water and making a short drive. The other issues sound like your BCM got wet. Have you pulled back the carpet on the passenger side and had a look?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
The cowl intake for the HVAC system has a drain that can easily get clogged. It's on the passenger side. Get a flashlight and look through the top to see if that is the case. If it is indeed clogged, fix it, and then get to your BCM (Body Control Module) behind the passenger footwell floor mat and cover. See if it's wet... (like wingler suggested).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i didn`t honestly, everything is still new here to me, but this crappy BCM sounds familiar to me, from forum.... i ll check it tommorow after work.... thank u so much for this guys....

·
Registered
29 Posts

YES SOUNDS LIKE YOUR BCU got SOAKED WITH WATER, did you wash it or go thru immense RAIN?
there is a way to close the intake vent above the BCU so it doesnt get wet, just hit the MANUAL BUTTON on your CLIMATE CONTROL so it goes from A to M....dial on the left side of CLIMATE CONTROL, I also lined my BCU with bubble wrap to give it extra protection....good luck my fellow ALFISTA! and never give up HOPE...my GIULIA has 103000km and going strong!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YES SOUNDS LIKE YOUR BCU got SOAKED WITH WATER, did you wash it or go thru immense RAIN?
there is a way to close the intake vent above the BCU so it doesn`t get wet, just hit the MANUAL BUTTON on your CLIMATE CONTROL so it goes from A to M....dial on the left side of CLIMATE CONTROL, I also lined my BCU with bubble wrap to give it extra protection....good luck my fellow ALFISTA! and never give up HOPE...my GIULIA has 103000km and going strong!
i did wash it week ago all fine, but was that heavy rain during night..... and i didn`t know about this, i read it somewhere here also for recirc button....

maybe wrap is not a good idea... it might keep moisture more ... isnt it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
i did wash it week ago all fine, but was that heavy rain during night..... and i didn`t know about this, i read it somewhere here also for recirc button....

maybe wrap is not a good idea... it might keep moisture more ... isnt it?
YES just make sure you hit the button so the M lights up...and the BUBBLE WRAP is perfect because it smothers all the circuit contacts... had it on for 55000km, no problems
GOOD LUCK my friend...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YES just make sure you hit the button so the M lights up...and the BUBBLE WRAP is perfect because it smothers all the circuit contacts... had it on for 55000km, no problems
GOOD LUCK my friend...
pls if u `ll have a second shoot me a pic..... not now... if u remember...;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for help... Will inform you tomorrow if I figure something out... Even if not... Buahahahha... and I honestly hope you are all right.... I ll keep positive thoughts

·
Registered
851 Posts
The cowl intake for the HVAC system has a drain that can easily get clogged. It's on the passenger side. Get a flashlight and look through the top to see if that is the case. If it is indeed clogged, fix it, and then get to your BCM (Body Control Module) behind the passenger footwell floor mat and cover. See if it's wet... (like wingler suggested).
Hello Mr Fizz - Could you be a little more specific with the location of the drain that can clog. In my 4 years with my car, I’ve read my share of clogged drain horror stories. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
Hello Mr Fizz - Could you be a little more specific with the location of the drain that can clog. In my 4 years with my car, I’ve read my share of clogged drain horror stories. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
Definitely wet.... Shall I disconnect cables and dry it out? I will put big dessicant gel now inside to get moist out.... Also found some diapers around ahahahah.... Problem is drain is completely clean....
I believe there were some additional seals / rain diversion added in later years. Maybe yours is missing that?

Here are the seals / rain diversion things I'm talking about... I don't know what is new and what has always been there, but you can figure out what you may be missing.
Hood Trunk Bumper Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Grille

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Blue Automotive exterior

Hood Blue Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
Definitely wet.... Shall I disconnect cables and dry it out? I will put big dessicant gel now inside to get moist out.... Also found some diapers around ahahahah.... Problem is drain is completely clean....
Oh, and yes. Disconnect negative battery terminal. Disconnect plugs on BCM, clear it of moisture, maybe get a wet/dry vacuum in there too. Desiccant packs are also a good idea.

Reactions: jocker

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But for sure I was parked with nose a bit down / tilted let's say even on that right side ... And rain was heavy..... Connectors all soaked completely..... I will start her tomorrow after dessicant treatment and never park like that and check the screen frequently.....

What are your thoughts for that o-ring.... Maybe better tube or any upgrade about o-ring? Or maybe I can try and find same dimensions o-ring that is MS or aircraft grade... They can sustain much greater temperatures....

Seems like that should be it....

This is first forum so far with care taken to help guys with Giulias...

U guys rock;););):cool::cool::cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts