Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

My name is Turd Fergussen (yes I mispelled that as the Norm MacDonald charcacter was spelled Ferguson) and I just brought home a 2021 Motecarlo Blue Ti with whatever the gussied up package is with the leather dash and fancy stuff.

Anywho, the car seems pretty neat so far, really love the interior, but it has so far two issues found in the first day. Fine Italian assembly I guess. I don't think any are major but one I have a question about.

The first issue is the controls that move the seat came loose and fell back under the seat. The were not attached completely somehow and now I can't fiddle with it to fine tune my position trying to adjust to the car. No biggie, I am sure the dealer will fix it.

The second issue, and what I have my question about........It has been 90 degrees and humid up here in Minnesnowta and as one would imagine I have been using air conditioning full blast. When I stop the car, I am getting no drips from the condenser. Nothing. But yesterday, there was water leaking out of the lower valence in the bodywork under the passenger side door. I assume this is not the normal path? Where should it normally drip? I am guessing the drain hose is either plugged or mis-installed. But in addition to this, the AC seems a bit on the weak side from other cars I have owned recently. Is this common? I am putting turning temps all the way down to "low" full blast on the fan, re-circulation on "auto" and just using dash vents. The air is quite cool, but never gets ice cold, and the fan seems a bit week through the vent, especially if you try to use the floor dash vent combo. Does this sound typical or something to have looked at?

Many thanks,

Turd

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Hello,

My name is Turd Fergussen (yes I mispelled that as the Norm MacDonald charcacter was spelled Ferguson) and I just brought home a 2021 Motecarlo Blue Ti with whatever the gussied up package is with the leather dash and fancy stuff.

Anywho, the car seems pretty neat so far, really love the interior, but it has so far two issues found in the first day. Fine Italian assembly I guess. I don't think any are major but one I have a question about.

The first issue is the controls that move the seat came lose and fell back under the seat. The were not attached completely somehow and now I can't fiddle with it to fine tune my position trying to adjust to the car. No biggie, I am sure the dealer will fix it.

The second issue, and what I have my question about........It has been 90 degrees and humid up here in Minnesnowta and as one would imagine I have been using air conditioning full blast. When I stop the car, I am getting no drips from the condenser. Nothing. But yesterday, there was water leaking out of the lower valence in the bodywork under the passenger side door. I assume this is not the normal path? Where should it normally drip? I am guessing the drain hose is either plugged or mis-installed. But in addition to this, the AC seems a bit on the weak side from other cars I have owned recently. Is this common? I am putting turning temps all the way down to "low" full blast on the fan, re-circulation on "auto" and just using dash vents. The air is quite cool, but never gets ice cold, and the fan seems a bit week through the vent, especially if you try to use the floor dash vent combo. Does this sound typical or something to have looked at?

Many thanks,

Turd
Before you decide on the AC, set it to full Auto and desired temp and let it decide what to to regarding fan speed, air flow and recirc. I live in the hot humid south, and always run mine on Auto and it cools just fine. At 68 or 70 it’s perfectly comfortable in 95 degree outside temps. Also, disable Auto start/stop, it throttles the climate control system. If you are like most of us disabling start/stop becomes a routine part of the “pre flight” process.

Reactions: 2-eleven

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The salesman, at delivery, suggested what you do, but when getting into the car, when it is really hot outside, it takes a long time for the car to cool down and blow some cold air. I thank you for your response, but I guess I am not sure it answered what I was asking. My car blows cool, does yours blow COLD? I don't feel really cold air until about five full minutes into the drive. Is that normal? I don't know what the condenser looks like, is there a shroud around it, could it hold water, could that impair cooling? Water leaks from the passenger side door after a drive in the heat. That does not sound normal to me. It should leak from somewhere near the engine. I don't know this car, although I do understand cars, and I don't know why my car leaks water from the midpoint of the passenger door and does not cool properly.

I am not claiming this Italian car is a POS, but something is not right. Why does it leak from the midpoint of the passenger door, and not cool down with vigor? I picked up my dad from the geezer home to take him to run errands, and at each startup (about four) we had to wait to get cool air for about five minutes and sweat in about 90 degrees before cold air would pour in?

I am wondering if wherever the condenser is located if it is holding water and impairing cooling. I thank you for your response that certain settings keep it cool, but mine struggles to cool the cabin for several minutes of driving. Just wanted to know if that was normal.

I really like that car, but this seems extremely odd, and don't know of a modern car that would allow this much discomfort before pouring cool air into the cabin.

Turd

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,894 Posts
The salesman, at delivery, suggested what you do, but when getting into the car, when it is really hot outside, it takes a long time for the car to cool down and blow some cold air. I thank you for your response, but I guess I am not sure it answered what I was asking. My car blows cool, does yours blow COLD? I don't feel really cold air until about five full minutes into the drive. Is that normal? I don't know what the condenser looks like, is there a shroud around it, could it hold water, could that impair cooling? Water leaks from the passenger side door after a drive in the heat. That does not sound normal to me. It should leak from somewhere near the engine. I don't know this car, although I do understand cars, and I don't know why my car leaks water from the midpoint of the passenger door and does not cool properly.

I am not claiming this Italian car is a POS, but something is not right. Why does it leak from the midpoint of the passenger door, and not cool down with vigor? I picked up my dad from the geezer home to take him to run errands, and at each startup (about four) we had to wait to get cool air for about five minutes and sweat in about 90 degrees before cold air would pour in?

I am wondering if wherever the condenser is located if it is holding water and impairing cooling. I thank you for your response that certain settings keep it cool, but mine struggles to cool the cabin for several minutes of driving. Just wanted to know if that was normal.

I really like that car, but this seems extremely odd, and don't know of a modern car that would allow this much discomfort before pouring cool air into the cabin.

Turd
Hey Turd,

From MN too (Hugo). Yeah, something is not right, definitely odd. I get in, start it up, turn the AC down a couple clicks, sometimes up/down, and that sort of kicks it in to hi gear. I also hit that auto start stop button when coming up to my left hand turn out of my development. It's almost muscle memory now. As far as that affecting the AC, I don't know about that, but I do know that if the car is not at your desired temp, the auto s/s will not engage. Oil temp and pressure also play a roll in the auto s/s engagement.

The AC should be cold within a minute, tops. Get it back to the dealer with these issues. Luther has always been great to me, and supposedly so is Schmelz, but I just have a thing against them so I won't go there. :D

What part of town are you in?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Avoid Schmelz, they scammed me, I paid them for a alignment and they never did it, they went as far as making up a fake excel spreadsheet with "before and after" specs instead of the alignment machine printout.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Avoid Schmelz, they scammed me, I paid them for a alignment and they never did it, they went as far as making up a fake excel spreadsheet with "before and after" specs instead of the alignment machine printout.
Noted. I am taking it there to get the first things done, fix my AC drain and the controls for the seat because I already have an appointment and live 4 minutes away. I am hoping this will be my last dealer visit for repairs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts