Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone! New owner to the Alfa Romeo world. Wanted to share my (ongoing) story about my recent purchase of a 2017 Giulia Quadrifoglio in hopes someone may have some advice. Bear with me as this is a bit of a story... but I assure you it is worth the read and feedback is HIGHLY welcomed.

So....

I purchased a white 2017 Giulia Quadrifoglio with ~23,000 miles on June 17th, 2021, from a local used car dealership in San Diego. I will keep the name of said shop confidential for now. Car is still under factory warranty until July 11th of this year, and I also purchased an extended warranty from said dealership with coverage for 5 years / 125k miles, whichever comes first.

Upon arriving at the dealership to buy the car, we wanted to take it for a quick test drive. I had already come to see the car a week or two prior and had a great test drive. This time I brought my wife to get her approval. This is where things immediately started turning for the worst. The car was in full limp mode, the radio/multimedia dial was glitching like crazy, and we got a christmas tree of warning lights (service engine, service brakes, service suspension, transmission etc etc.) I can't even remember all of the lights that came on. Dealer assured me nothing was wrong and rushed the car off to his local shop. About 20 minutes later he came back and the car appeared fine. Said the car had been sitting for a couple weeks, the battery was disconnected/reconnected, as well as some "Yaw Sensor" needed to be reset and that did the trick. Okay - I trust the guy.

Anyways... I move forward with the purchase of the car and am as happy as a clam. NOT FOR LONG. Saturday afternoon about 6-7pm I am driving on the 5 Freeway in Orange County when all the sudden I realize there is no more throttle response. I look down, the christmas tree of warning lights is back! On top of this, the motor has ZERO response and seems to have stalled as the RPMs are at 0. Luckily I was able to coast off the freeway to a safe parkinglot and shut the car off. After letting the car sit for a few minutes, I turn the car back on only to get all of the service warning lights again, along with a Check Engine Light pulling code P0337.
At this point it's too late to get ahold of selling dealer, and the closest Alfa Romeo dealership was closed already. So I had to limp the car home until Monday morning. Car was idling pretty roughly which I assumed was due to the CEL regarding a crank position sensor.

Fast forward to monday morning - I limp the car to Alfa Romeo Newport Beach. This is where the nightmare really takes off. Within moments of meeting the Service manager, I was immediately made to feel as though my car was in a worst-case scenario. Before any technician or service manager had even seen my car, he pointed out that my car "ONLY" had a month left of warranty and he hoped I have all previous owners maintenance records if I want to place a warranty claim..... WTF?? We had not even done a basic diagnostic of my car or anything at this point. I am no mechanic, but I have owned several high-end European cars and have never been treated like this upon arrival at a dealership. Things then get even worse....

After the car sits at Alfa Romeo Newport Beach for a WEEK, I finally get a call from the service manager. He immediately tells me I need to bring my loaner back and take my car home, as Alfa Romeo was denying my warranty claim for a FULL MOTOR REPLACEMENT. This entire decision was apparently made between the warranty company, and the local service manager/team yet I had been given zero information as to why or how this determination was made. I immediately asked for the communication from Alfa Romeo that was led to this decision, which the Service manager claims he was not allowed to disclose to me. Apparently they found oil shavings in my oil filter and determined the car was treated with negligence and had NEVER received an oil change - which is complete B**L S**T.

I have receipts of at least 4 oil changes along with several more maintenance records, with more than one being from Alfa Romeo dealerships!!!! All of which were submitted or scanned over to Alfa Romeo Newport Beach before this decision of "Negligence" was made. The Service manager claims that he looked himself and he's 100% positive the original oil filter from the day the car was sold was still on the car - which would mean he is claiming that his own Company, Alfa Romeo, has lied on their service maintenance records. One of which being fromlocal dealership Bob Baker Alfa & Maserati in San Diego. We have receipts with part numbers and everything from an oil change done at their dealership.... WTF???

Anyways... it has now been over 2 weeks that Alfa Romeo Newport Beach has had my car and is continuing to decline any repairs. I have yet to receive a single document from anybody explaining their decision or how they came to a conclusion a full motor replacement is needed. I haven't even received a service order from the dealership breaking down any costs of this repair. The dealership has since got me in touch with Alfa Care out of Florida who is apparently trying to help escalate my case. This has yet to provide any fruitful hope of my car being repaired. The Alfa Romeo Newport Beach dealership is demanding I return my loaner by Friday (which is a p.o.s. Dodge from Enterprise because they don't even have any loaners at the dealership) or they will start charging me and won't cover it any longer.

I am completely in the dark on this still and highly doubt I will ever consider purchasing another Alfa Romeo after this experience. If anybody has experience with a situation like this... PLEASE HELP!

Rant over.

·
Premium Member
2018 QV
208 Posts
I would go to a different, better rated Alfa dealership.

Our copyrighter always told me “write drunk, edit sober”.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
907 Posts
I would contact an attorney at this point. This is a lot of money at stake, and I would be gearing up for a lawsuit.

I don’t know if there is an email, but I would demand an explanation in writing as to why they are refusing a warranty claim. I’m an asshole so if they refused the request I would be on their sales floor during rush hour LOUDLY taking about the situation until they did give it to me in writing.

It will help to have them nailed down to this BS story where the service rep is willing to be his kid’s life the oil has never been changed and you have proof it was.

Honestly though… I expect to catch a bit of flak for the quick recommendation to threaten litigation, but we have professional assholes for a reason. This isn’t McDonalds messing up your order, we’re talking tens of thousands of dollars no matter how you split it. Either Alfa is giving you the run around or the selling dealer falsified documents assuming this service manager is right.

You actually seem to be very level headed about this, but having a non-attached party who can make sure your warranty claim is protected under the law is probably going to be worth at least the initial retainer fee.

I can be a bit vindictive… but the way I see it, even if you spend $20,000 to win… At least you cost them $20,000 if not more in legal fees and they have to fix the car.

I’m not sure about Alfa, but they may look at a notice of intent to file a lawsuit, calculate the cost of the lawsuit, and decide it’s cheaper to just deal with you.

If you take it to another dealership for a second opinion show them the prior service records at the beginning. This way they will at least be conditioned to NOT assume the service was neglected and may actually figure out the problem.

These cars are amazing so it is so frustrating to hear of your issues. I wish you the best of luck and please do keep us updated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would contact an attorney at this point. This is a lot of money at stake, and I would be gearing up for a lawsuit.

I don’t know if there is an email, but I would demand an explanation in writing as to why they are refusing a warranty claim. I’m an asshole so if they refused the request I would be on their sales floor during rush hour LOUDLY taking about the situation until they did give it to me in writing.

It will help to have them nailed down to this BS story where the service rep is willing to be his kid’s life the oil has never been changed and you have proof it was.

Honestly though… I expect to catch a bit of flak for the quick recommendation to threaten litigation, but we have professional assholes for a reason. This isn’t McDonalds messing up your order, we’re talking tens of thousands of dollars no matter how you split it. Either Alfa is giving you the run around or the selling dealer falsified documents assuming this service manager is right.

You actually seem to be very level headed about this, but having a non-attached party who can make sure your warranty claim is protected under the law is probably going to be worth at least the initial retainer fee.

I can be a bit vindictive… but the way I see it, even if you spend $20,000 to win… At least you cost them $20,000 if not more in legal fees and they have to fix the car.

I’m not sure about Alfa, but they may look at a notice of intent to file a lawsuit, calculate the cost of the lawsuit, and decide it’s cheaper to just deal with you.

If you take it to another dealership for a second opinion show them the prior service records at the beginning. This way they will at least be conditioned to NOT assume the service was neglected and may actually figure out the problem.

These cars are amazing so it is so frustrating to hear of your issues. I wish you the best of luck and please do keep us updated.
Thank you for the very detailed advice! I agree with everything you say. May be the best approach… albeit a headache. I absolutely love the car and just want Alfa to do the right thing!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Something doesn’t smell right. Almost like there is information being left out and I’m not saying the OP is the one leaving info out. I have a feeling the dealer isn’t telling the whole story. Contact Alfa Cares and get that car to a different dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Something doesn’t smell right. Almost like there is information being left out and I’m not saying the OP is the one leaving info out. I have a feeling the dealer isn’t telling the whole story. Contact Alfa Cares and get that car to a different dealer.

Thank you. Sounds like taking the car to a different dealer may be a good move… I would think Alfa’s warranty decision is final no matter the dealer, though? Or would it be considered a new claim at a new dealership?

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
907 Posts
Thank you. Sounds like taking the car to a different dealer may be a good move… I would think Alfa’s warranty decision is final no matter the dealer, though? Or would it be considered a new claim at a new dealership?
I have no idea how that works, but I would do my best to have the new dealership go in blind to this situation. Minus showing them the service receipts provided with the car (to avoid another jump to “car never serviced”) I would not want them to be aware of the situating at all; a blank slate.

But seriously, when you’re dealing with a QV you cannot touch anything on that car without a 4 digit price tag. I’m guessing CA has good consumer protection laws, but there still may be some steps you need to follow to ensure you can use them to your benefit. Document everything and get some professional advice.

Also, PLEASE keep us updated. Besides the natural human tendency to want to know what is going on with the drama (JERRY!!! JERRY!!’ Jerry!!!)… What you can share may help someone else out in the future. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
116 Posts
I get the feeling of incompetence or lack of professionalism from the dealer given your description. The oil filter “evidence” tells me something unscrupulous is afoot. How could they possibly know it was an original oil filter? Are they reading some type of engineering code on the filter? Seems implausible to me given the thing is constantly being bathed in 200+ degree high pressure oil. And even then, the only filter available for the QF up until recently was Mopar. So they all look the same and the filter the dealer who did the oil changes could have been from the same batch of filters that were used in the factory. They need to do better to prove their case. It appears they want to either sell a $30k engine or don’t have a competent tech to perform the job. Either way, it’s time for you to go direct with Alfa Romeo and bypass the middle man (dealer).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Taking it to a different dealer probably wont help, if the dealer already summitted a warranty claim for engine replacement and was declined by Alfa Romeo than it wouldn't be any different with another dealer as there process would be the same. Dealers are franchises and summit warranty repairs to Alfa and either get approved or declined. Your vin and claim would automatically show up. Did they show you the filter? Was it the original filter? With 23K miles that filter is going to look really dark and deteriorating. I don't see why the dealer would not try to get it approved as they would make a good chunk of money off that repair that alfa or FCA would pay them for. If the evidence shows that the filter has never been replaced than i would start looking into the used car dealer.

You mention the car was already showing issues before you bought it. Before i bought my m3 from a used car dealer i had a friend who works at a BMW dealer do a full inspection on the car. found that it was 3 quarts low on oil. Went back to the used car dealer and mentioned if they recently done an oil change and they had just done it the day before. Used car dealers try to squeeze every penny out of every sale even if it means having un trained technicians. I would personally go after the used car dealer that sold you a broken car. If the used car dealer didn't do an oil change than i would trace it back to the last.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,164 Posts
I'm apparently confused as always: how do you "know" that the metal shavings in the oil filter is B.S.? Why isn't the used car dealership where you bought the car taking care of this fault? Did they provide documentation that the car had been properly maintained? If so, why wasn't this given to the Alfa dealer and/or why did they reject it?

Looking the other way, did the Alfa dealer show you the metal shavings in the oil filter? California law requires them to do so if you demand it.

In yet another twist, it seems that many Alfa dealers are unable or afraid to make repairs on a QV engine. Some should be relatively inexpensive and easily replaced parts are simply unavailable.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What a story, really not the best way to start ownership of this car. Newport Beach is the dealer I work with - it’s 80 miles away from me but I’ve only had bad experiences outside of them. Their lead tech works on QVs almost on a daily basis and from my experience is really knowledgeable. But despite that, I would agree that they need to show a bit more information when it comes to declining your claim.

I’ve heard stories in the past of warranty claims denied because of flagged VIN (because of mods or other things). It’s hard to know when buying used.

In this situation though, I would go to the seller - they should have at least a 7-day warranty or something, clearly the car was already not functioning properly when you purchased it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
This is said out of ignorance because I don't know the process of selling used cars under warranty. Perhaps the dealer did not properly inspect the car and maybe they can't get Alfa to pay the bill. Regardless, huge repairs such as this are always an uphill battle.

Document everything and email it to the dealer to start establishing a paper trail. From the first time you test drove the car until now. Make sure you include who told you the car was OK after your second test drive when you got the errors. Do not rant in the emails, just document what happened. Copy Alfa Romeo Cares or Alfa corporate if you can find an email for them.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
If you were in PA, NY, NJ I gotta guy who can fix that under warranty through dealer. If you are far away I would start by going to a different dealer. Talk to service manager. Feel him out and if he’s the right one I would bring a tribute. Minimum $2k and a bottle of wine. I would exhaust all options before you try to sue a car manufacturer. They got more lawyers then you got friends. You’ll spend more for an engine and still lose. Time. Aggregation etc not worth it. Bring a tribute. Can’t hurt.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I suspect your car was flagged for some reason, perhaps a "tune" or other reason by a previous owner. Then sold to your selling dealer, who just wants the car gone, and knows now that Alfa had already refused a warranty replacement engine or other repair. Maybe they knew before they sold it to the OP. Like above, I suspect once the car is "flagged" no other Alfa dealer will be able to reverse that decision.

My son has had equally bad experiences with car dealers. A few years ago, bought a new Toyota SUV, and had a valve failure, this from a dealer who advertised a "...100,000 mile powertrain warranty." His Toyota was out of the factory warranty, and his selling dealer refused to repair his engine, saying the fine print on their warranty required a tire rotation done at their dealer, and since this not done this, they denied any responsibility for his engine. Toyota stepped up and paid for the repair.

A year ago, he bought a slightly used Mercedes G Wagon with an extended warranty from a Mercedes dealer. That dealer recently did a perfect warranty repair of a small rust spot. Last week, a rear door won't open, a known problem with these cars, and a more local Mercedes dealer has refused to repair the door, saying the G Wagon has a window tint, which was already on the car when he bought it for his wife, voiding his expensive extended warranty.

So he is taking it over 150 miles to the original selling dealer, who will warranty and repair the door.

Even official, "authorized' dealers will try to find a way to avoid responsibility for anything but a trivial warranty repair. I suspect Alfa may tell the OP that the issue is between him and his dealer. I have no suggestion on how he can resolve this issue. Perhaps an hour with an attorney is worth the expense.

When it comes to big buck items, I think most dealers, factory or otherwise, will refuse to cover them at their expense. About 3 years ago, had a Porsche Racing Shop do an engine-out expensive upgrade to my GT3, and they failed to put both fuel pump fuses back in, leading to a burned piston a thousand miles away. I paid over $7K for a race shop to make it good, and then went back to the first race shop, and told them I understood that mistakes can happen, and asked them to cover the $2K in parts, and I would accept the rest. Their reply was "...we never make mistakes, you must have removed the second fuel pump fuse." I waked out and picked up some extra work to pay for it myself. The burned piston sits on my son's workbench, an expensive paperweight.

Lying, deceitful, cheating people are everywhere. I have met more than a few in my life.

NV

·
Premium Member
2018 QV
208 Posts
... if the dealer already summitted a warranty claim for engine replacement and was declined by Alfa Romeo than it wouldn't be any different with another dealer as there process would be the same. Dealers are franchises and summit warranty repairs to Alfa and either get approved or declined....
I think I've ready though everything up to this point so I apologize if I missed it but, is the OP sure that Alfa denied it? or is the dealer just saying that?
I ask that because of experience with insurance agents. They will often times think or assume that something is not covered and tell you as much without ever submitting it to the insurance company.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
wow what a saga. So to better understand OP bought a used QV from a non-Alfa used car dealer?
if that is the case, legally, they should be held accountable as well (not sure if that applies Cali)
you bought the car from them, it should be them fighting with Alfa to get this done. I suggest to OP go after the low hanging fruit if litigation is the path that needs to be followed. that fruit being the selling used car dealership.
2nd. I would bring it to the dealer for which you have all the records that did the services that have come into question.
see where that takes you. IF things don't get some traction in the positive direction, then you call on the Consigliere.
Have been down this road when I first got my QV in 2016, and it all came down to an incompetent dealer

1 - 20 of 50 Posts