Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have problems updating giulia my20, I have downloaded the bin and dct file,
put the stick into usb in the car but gets a message not enough free space in the system, and it won’t download.
anyone with input?
I have the same problem
Follow this

You usb it divided to take 4gig file, you need to change it following the link suggestion. After select the bigger volume you can. It worked well for me.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
You usb it divided to take 4gig file, you need to change it following the link suggestion. After select the bigger volume you can. It worked well for me.
The USB drive is not the problem (it's mandatory to format as NTFS), it's the infotainment that's complaining ..... ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the same problem
Follow this

It's a Mopar-TomTom's bug...
One of the many...
🙄
NTFS, ExFAT, nope...
Read here:

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,003 Posts
i was able to update with AA connected.
it says update take about 1hr and i left the car running while i was getting 1st covid19 shot.
took about 30 minutes to get to vaccine site + 30minutes for me to get back to the car from getting vaccine.
when i came back, it was done.
The update instructions provided by @jwq2 say no other devices should be plugged into other USB ports.

This should give 2 files, a .dct file (license) and a .bin file (map)
  • place the 2 files on root of USB stick
  • start engine, switch off auto start/stop
  • place stick in USB port car. Don't use usb port in rear, as this is power only
  • make sure there are no other devices in any of the other USB ports
  • select <settings> <system> <maps update>
  • update should start, takes approx 70 minutes on "old" 1st gen hardware, 30 minutes on "new" 2nd gen.

I can confirm I was successfully able to update the maps with ACP running. I started the car, plugged in my phone to the USB in the center console storage, ACP activated, then I went into the car settings, initiated the map update, plugged in the USB stick as suggested in the front port under the infotainment, and 40 minutes later it was done.

During the update, I had ACP up on the infotainment. I switched back to the map update screen about 2 minutes before it was done, so I'm not sure if it produces a completed notification or not, but it worked!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Question.
Can you drive the car while updating the maps as the info system is telling me to keep car running but not in motion?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Question.
Can you drive the car while updating the maps as the info system is telling me to keep car running but not in motion?
you have to start the process while the car is stationary, but can drive while the update completes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Having a devil of a time getting the car to see the files as legitimate ... probably something with the formatting I'll play with it later.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Having a devil of a time getting the car to see the files as legitimate ... probably something with the formatting I'll play with it later.
When I downloaded the maps from the F.C.A. site, I changed the name of the file slightly on my computer.
so, I could locate the downloaded map file on my computer in my "download folder" easier.
The car wouldn't recognize the file with the name change.

And you are right, as mentioned earlier, your stick needs to be formatted to NTFS files,
before you download the maps onto your memory stick.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Did you download the license file too?

And are you sure you choose the right nav unit?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did you download the license file too?

And are you sure you choose the right nav unit?
Yes and Yes.

I'm fairly tech savvy so I did a OSX download I think the stick is NTSF but Apple may have done something to add to the files as they often do.

I'll just use my windows box and reformat the drive.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Yes and Yes.

I'm fairly tech savvy so I did a OSX download I think the stick is NTSF but Apple may have done something to add to the files as they often do.

Osx may very well be the culprit

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Yes and Yes.

It only works with the usb formatted as Windows NTFS .....
On Apple, you can use format as MacOS extended (journaled)

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
566 Posts
Did mine today. Exactly 37 minutesn
I bet it's like 2 minutes of upload and 35 minutes to make it seem like it's doing a lot of work so people thibk the system is important.
Lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Osx may very well be the culprit
No, OSX is NOT the culprit. Alfa incorrectly states on the FCA nav download site the the flash drive must be formatted either NTFS or exFAT for Alfa Romeos, which is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!!

On a flash drive formatted for OSX journaled, load only these two files: USA_Canada_and_Mexico-102913.meta.dct and MAP50231.bin and nothing else. Wingler took a screen shot of this not too ago, but that's all you need to do.

I tried unsuccessfully to upload the new maps by unzipping the files and doing the NTFS/ex FAT formatting, and it wouldn't work. Unfortunately, I'd deleted my previous map update "file" before downloading the latest, forgetting how to do it in the process. FCA's wording describing the process is ridiculously incorrect and complex, whereas the actual process is bog-simple!

Reactions: Avnyc11
41 - 60 of 71 Posts