Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Quad Montecarlo Blue
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
670 BHP all wheel drive plug in hybrid with a weight of 2111kg. It comes with a 2 liter Turbo-4 from the AMG A45s and all the techni-gizmos Mercedes learnt over time, which begs the only question I have - how much fun could this possibly be with that heavy a weight penalty?

Car Magazine Article Details

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,072 Posts
670 BHP all wheel drive plug in hybrid with a weight of 2111kg. It comes with a 2 liter Turbo-4 from the AMG A45s and all the techni-gizmos Mercedes learnt over time, which begs the only question I have - how much fun could this possibly be with that heavy a weight penalty?

Car Magazine Article Details
Not to mention that Merc is not famous for great handling so those extra 800 pounds probably feel like more than that.

·
Registered
482 Posts
All electric driving range is paltry, doesn’t make sense from an environmental perspective. All that tech to break later on also. Better to just put a larger engine in IMO.

Reactions: Whyfly

·
Registered
756 Posts
Impressive how much power they squeezed out of this powertrain. Wish Alfa would try to do the same out of its 4 bangers.

But otherwise, this seems like a needlessly complex powertrain and the weight has ballooned to unfathomable levels, nearly 1000 lb more than the QV and M3. These cars already didn't enjoy dancing in turns as is. Driving a C63 or even C43 vs. our Giulias is night and day. Those things are muscle cars, whereas Giulias a go karts.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
200+hp per litre, very very big turbos, installed longitudinally, sprints 0-60 like a 458.
my guess, she is just faster in the a straight line, don't think the handling has improved as they were never ballerinas around a track
still would love to drive one for a bit ;)

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Quad Montecarlo Blue
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Impressive how much power they squeezed out of this powertrain. Wish Alfa would try to do the same out of its 4 bangers.

But otherwise, this seems like a needlessly complex powertrain and the weight has ballooned to unfathomable levels, nearly 1000 lb more than the QV and M3. These cars already didn't enjoy dancing in turns as is. Driving a C63 or even C43 vs. our Giulias is night and day. Those things are muscle cars, whereas Giulias a go karts.
My sentiment. BHP is out of control and such ridiculous numbers do not often translate to usable power except for straight line performance. Bigger engines along with hybrid powertrains mean heavier cars which translate to bigger brakes, tires, thicker suspension components and ultimately the monster just grows out of control.
Colin Chapman (Lotus) was spot on - subtract weight and your car is fast everywhere and not just on straights.
This new AMG, M3/4 and RS5 are over 200kg heavier than the QV, which itself was initially touted as a 1500+ kg car only to find out later that 1650 is a more accurate number. I'll still take that and forego all unnecessary gadgets like AWD, electric motorized everything etc.

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
357 Posts
My sentiment. BHP is out of control and such ridiculous numbers do not often translate to usable power except for straight line performance. Bigger engines along with hybrid powertrains mean heavier cars which translate to bigger brakes, tires, thicker suspension components and ultimately the monster just grows out of control.
Colin Chapman (Lotus) was spot on - subtract weight and your car is fast everywhere and not just on straights.
This new AMG, M3/4 and RS5 are over 200kg heavier than the QV, which itself was initially touted as a 1500+ kg car only to find out later that 1650 is a more accurate number. I'll still take that and forego all unnecessary gadgets like AWD, electric motorized everything etc.
Quad is more like 1700kg something... So RS5 and G80 M3 are not that much heavier at all, maybe around 50-100 kg.
Initial weight statement by Alfa in 2015 was dry weight of a 6 speed manual Quad.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Some people the driving is more important than the destination. But for 95% of people the destination is the only goal. So these will sell well. I actually think it’s important to have cars fast straight line only like teslas etc because would we even want those people attempting to drive fast on turns? Let’s be honest most who buy these type cars can even change a tire or start a lawnmower. There are some serious uncoordinated people in this country. It’s only getting worse as we devolve. So keep ‘em straight. Keep ‘em safe.

·
Registered
756 Posts
What's funny is Mercedes did all this complex engineering to create a car that's still slower than an AWD M3, at least 700 lbs more than the AWD M3, and without a doubt less reliable.

AMG customers won't care. I'd bet only a small portion will swear off the brand "cuz no V8." But overwhelming majority don't care how the car is being powered. They just like Mercedes and they like the AMG brand to show off to their neighbors, so they'll be sold on this.

The remainder of us who actually care about how a car turns will continue to drive cars from other brands.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,391 Posts
3.3 is no slouch but I thought it would be faster with that much hp

Also it pipes in fake engine sound which is just ☹

Reactions: Driven

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
551 Posts
AMG customers won't care. I'd bet only a small portion will swear off the brand "cuz no V8." But overwhelming majority don't care how the car is being powered. They just like Mercedes and they like the AMG brand to show off to their neighbors, so they'll be sold on this.
This is sadly true, its why Mercedes moved their mid range trims to become x43 AMG despite not being true "AMG" cars. Mercedes has the largest amount of people who just want that AMG badge to one up their neighbor who has a C or E300 and doesn't give 2 shits about having 500+ hp under their foot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I currently have a W205 C63s and a Quad. The cars are night and day different when it comes to handling. In reality the Merc weighs a good 400 pounds more than the Quad and that weight is higher up as well. The panoramic glass roof is just an extra 130 pounds at the very top of the car being slung about.

I can't imagine this new one will be anything more than a straight line beast but will fall on it's face when the road gets twisty no matter how much tech they throw at handling.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I rarely see anyone tracking any Mercedes, let alone an AMG. The only exception has been the AMG GT/S/C/R variants.

I've tracked and autocrossed my E63S wagon. With 577hp, it gets out of the corners like a madman. BUT, waiting for the corner to end can feel like a lifetime. But, it has 4700lbs worth of girth to move, so no surprise there. The surprising thing is it does 0-60 in 3.2s, and I could carry a mini fridge in the back and click off high 11s.

The QV is a much better car to drive, as well as a much better looking car. As a weekend toy, the QV is a better option.
But as a daily... would be hard to pass up the C63, considering most people's commutes involve stop lights and/or freeway onramps -- where 671hp would shine.

I can only imagine what the passing power feels like.

Now, if Alfa made a Giulia QV wagon, I'd jump back into an Alfa in a heartbeat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts