Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm interested in getting a Giulia. I'm in Long Beach so test drive one at OC Fiat this weekend and was impressed with the looks and the power and the steering. However, have been put off by the threads on here about stalling, going into limp mode, engines dying. Not sure what to make of it - the survey indicates that it's happened to more than a few owners, though not a majority, and despite reading all the threads I can't figure out whether there's been a fix (software update?).

If I decide to proceed, any suggestions re dealers and salespeople to work with (or avoid) in the greater LA would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Welcome! What model are you interested in? I have a Q4 and am one of many with zero issues (and there's a lot of us). As it's been said before you can be unlucky and get a lemon in any car but if that happens you do have options inc in the warranty so you shouldn't be stuck. Obviously the cars brand new so there's no long term data but that's the risk you'll always run with any new model. There's quite a few members in LA who can comment on dealers but I hope you join the fun.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Hi All,

I'm interested in getting a Giulia. I'm in Long Beach so test drive one at OC Fiat this weekend and was impressed with the looks and the power and the steering. However, have been put off by the threads on here about stalling, going into limp mode, engines dying. Not sure what to make of it - the survey indicates that it's happened to more than a few owners, though not a majority, and despite reading all the threads I can't figure out whether there's been a fix (software update?).

If I decide to proceed, any suggestions re dealers and salespeople to work with (or avoid) in the greater LA would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Had I discovered this forum before I ordered my Giulia Quad, I probably would have waited...I can't tell you how much I smile everytime I get into my car after a hard day in the office and say to myself, "LIFE IS GREAT IN MY GIULIA !!!!! "
To quote NIKE...."JUST DO IT"

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome from Venice :)

We have about 800 miles on our Ti Q2 with no issues. I took her up into Angeles Crest over the weekend chasing some Alfa 4Cs. Put on 130 hard miles, had a lot of fun and no issues.

It's 1% of 1% that have had an engine shut down, maybe less. It's the first run of an all new car design/build, it's bound to have a bug or two, no matter who made it. The 2018 model will be here soon enough. Most of the bugs will be worked by then if you want to wait.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome from Brea!

I have put 3700 miles on my Giulia TI with zero issues. I drive from Brea to Manhattan Beach two to three times a week for work. With a 10 am - 7 pm shift I drive both in heavy traffic and free-flowing freeways and love every minute of my commute.

It is all about risk/reward, I am always wary about buying any kind of first model car but the Giulia was a must have as soon as I test drove her.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Welcome. I have over 6k in my Giulia Ti q4. No mechanical issues really. Rear sunroof shade got jammed. Really that's it.

I do have a ton of complaints but they are design flaws but that I hope would be resolved for the new model year: apple CarPlay absence, parking warning sounds when car is parked, auto start/stop issues, but nothing that makes her unreliable. The best car I have ever owned. Just a joy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, all, for the feedback, especially the LA commute stories.

Was at the dealer in Downey today to look at a Giulia and there was a guy whose Ti is being bought back under the lemon law - engine cut out in the freeway. He had to get a lawyer to make them take it back. Crazy thing is he was ther pe looking at another Giulia!!

I'm confident it's a minority of cars which have experienced these problems, but I don't think it's as small as 1% of 1%. Aren't there only a couple of thousand on the road in the U.S.?

·
Registered
73 Posts

Was at the dealer in Downey today to look at a Giulia and there was a guy whose Ti is being bought back under the lemon law - engine cut out in the freeway. He had to get a lawyer to make them take it back. Crazy thing is he was ther pe looking at another Giulia!!

I'm confident it's a minority of cars which have experienced these problems, but I don't think it's as small as 1% of 1%. Aren't there only a couple of thousand on the road in the U.S.?
In my time on the forum the major issues have appeared to be more with the QV than the Base and Ti. This note about a Ti buy back under Lemon Law is first I've heard. I took delivery on June 1, have 2500 miles and no failures, warnings, etc. As noted earlier in thread by others, mine issues are minor design annoyances and one dynamic one (adaptive suspension is too soft in Dynamic). All else good.

·
Registered
87 Posts
No major issues with the Giulia TI I bought for the fiancee, I need to reset the sunroof.

I had to buy a car same day last minute present and Van Nuys Alfa knocked off $2500 without any hassle, I didn't have time since it was a last minute bday present so I was fine with that. I bet you can get 3K maybe a bit more off if lucky.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No major issues with the Giulia TI I bought for the fiancee, I need to reset the sunroof.

I had to buy a car same day last minute present and Van Nuys Alfa knocked off $2500 without any hassle, I didn't have time since it was a last minute bday present so I was fine with that. I bet you can get 3K maybe a bit more off if lucky.
Hadn't thought about Van Nuys. Was the $2500 off MSRP, or was it in addition to other rebates (conquest)?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

The Giulia 2.0 and Giulia 2.9 are being sold world wide. This forum is world wide.

USA....: 03,513
Europe: 21,708
Total...: 25,221 (2016 & 2017)

With only a known 20 or 22 failed engines, this is almost exactly 0.1% (1% of 1%).

Source of sales:
http://carsalesbase.com/european-car-sales-data/alfa-romeo/alfa-romeo-giulia/
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/alfa-romeo/alfa-romeo-giulia/

At this point in my life, if my Guilia failed in a fatal way and AR bought it back from me, I'd be tempted to buy another Alfa too. It's a driver's car and I'm a driver. There are not many real driver's cars on the market any more.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Giulia 2.0 and Giulia 2.9 are being sold world wide. This forum is world wide.

USA....: 03,513
Europe: 21,708
Total...: 25,221 (2016 & 2017)

With only a known 20 or 22 failed engines, this is almost exactly 0.1% (1% of 1%).

Source of sales:
http://carsalesbase.com/european-car-sales-data/alfa-romeo/alfa-romeo-giulia/
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/alfa-romeo/alfa-romeo-giulia/

At this point in my life, if my Guilia failed in a fatal way and AR bought it back from me, I'd be tempted to buy another Alfa too. It's a driver's car and I'm a driver. There are not many real driver's cars on the market any more.
In your original post you said engine shutdown not engine failure. Surely the incidence of the former is higher than .1%, especially if you include all the reports of stalling, going into limp mode. These are not as catastrophic as an engine failure, but are annoying in a new car that needs to get you to work as well as put a smile on your face.

And it's not clear to me from reading the posts on here that these various engine problems have been diagnosed.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
In your original post you said engine shutdown not engine failure. Surely the incidence of the former is higher than .1%, especially if you include all the reports of stalling, going into limp mode. These are not as catastrophic as an engine failure, but are annoying in a new car that needs to get you to work as well as put a smile on your face.

And it's not clear to me from reading the posts on here that these various engine problems have been diagnosed.
Agreed.

I think you'll agree that not every new Giulia has experienced an issue, no matter how minor.

There is no guarantee that the next car built will or won't have a problem.

I have not had any issues with my Ti (800 miles).

Reactions: lockem

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got mine at Glendale Alfa. Dan is the best sales guy I have ever dealt with.

24 month lease $350 plus tax, 1351 total oops including 1st month payment. There was $4500 rebate because of BMW lease conquest. (Which gets taxed! But part of my out of pocket) car MSRP $41490.

Zero issues after took tire pressure down from 60 psi as delivered to 32 f and 35 b as per sorry panel.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got mine at Glendale Alfa. Dan is the best sales guy I have ever dealt with.

24 month lease $350 plus tax, 1351 total oops including 1st month payment. There was $4500 rebate because of BMW lease conquest. (Which gets taxed! But part of my out of pocket) car MSRP $41490.

Zero issues after took tire pressure down from 60 psi as delivered to 32 f and 35 b as per sorry panel.
Glendale do seem eager to make a deal.

What was your adjusted cap cost? Did you get anything off MSRP before the rebates/conquest discounts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It was $38300 before rebate arter fees taxes etc. and the residual was 64% or $24770, then the $4500 rebate. There is tax on the rebate!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts