Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Giulia for just 6 days and then the auto-engine stop light came on and electronic throttle control service light came on. The car was still able to run but basically had no power. I brought it to dealership today and they just informed me the wire to the turbo was chewed by rat and I have to pay for the fix. I was shocked to hear that. I have two other cars parking at same parking lot/garage for the past 4 years (and still parked there) and never had a problem. Having this car for 6 days, it got rat. I never even opened the hood. Did some research online, apparently there is a huge law-suit going on against Toyota now because they use soy-coated wires, which attracts rats. And given break-on wire/steering-on wire design, this becomes a huge safety issue. I am wondering whether Giulia is using same type of wire coating. Does anyone knows where to find infomation of the wire/wire coating Giulia is using?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well if there's a huge lawsuit regarding this coating, I couldn't see another manufacturer using it anyway. But you've only had the car for 6 days, damage could have happened at the dealership. The wire was alllmost severed when you took delivery, then the motor moving on its mounts during the 6 days you had it finished the job.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Forget the lawsuit and other such and take a stance that the damage could have occured quite easily one the ship from Italy, at the docks, in the storage yard or at dealer also. Especially as its only been 6 days. You should register a complaint with customer care and I am sure they will do this under warranty. They cannot prove it was infact a rat and it did occur in your garage, even you said the other cars parked in the same place have not suffered wire damage.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Another incompetent dealer.....

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well if there's a huge lawsuit regarding this coating, I couldn't see another manufacturer using it anyway. But you've only had the car for 6 days, damage could have happened at the dealership. The wire was alllmost severed when you took delivery, then the motor moving on its mounts during the 6 days you had it finished the job.
Good point. Some of these vehicles sit on the lot for a while before being sold as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This problem ahs been around forever. I've had this problem on my vintage cars as they tend to sit around without being driven for longer periods of time. Agree that the damage could have and likely did happen in the port/docks, where the cars sit for long periods. Contact Alfa directly and get the dealer to pay for the fix.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Agree could have happened on the lot though this is the exact time of year when mice make their moves. Might be an idea to put some traps close to your car. Warm engine then the find a nice yummy wire.. who knows? I started my lawn tractor up and massacred a family living in the engine. I'd get it coated if you can. This time last year I had water poring through my basement ceiling as these sods ate my dishwasher waste pipe... why?! Gl!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,116 Posts
I smell a rat. The dealer.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,116 Posts
When's the tour? You're on form.. need a little drum & symbols though :D
Sometimes I think my family would love to send me out on one. :eek:

Reactions: Gfrfan and FNM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forget the lawsuit and other such and take a stance that the damage could have occured quite easily one the ship from Italy, at the docks, in the storage yard or at dealer also. Especially as its only been 6 days. You should register a complaint with customer care and I am sure they will do this under warranty. They cannot prove it was infact a rat and it did occur in your garage, even you said the other cars parked in the same place have not suffered wire damage.
Good point! The car was built in Apr and I got it on Nov11, so it has been sit in their outdoor parking lot for over six month. And it only sit in my garage/parking lot for 6 nights. Here is the how bad the damage is(pic attached), I don't know how efficient rats chews, but it is quite a big bite. The wire cover/coating was chewed out a lot, the wire itself just had a small damage.

I am going to file a complaint to customer care, just to clarify, besides sending a web-based email on:

*** link removed due to low post count ***

is there any other specific channel to register complaint?

I too have read about the problems with newer cars having their electrical wires covered with insulation that attracts rodents.
Honda has a "rodent-deterrent" tape.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/how-to-protect-your-car-from-rodents/

I live in a very rural area and this problem is always a concern.
I have a two word fix that has, so far, for 15 years kept us safe.
Outdoor cats.
We do have three outdoor/street cats in the neighborhood, and I have an indoor cat at home too. She sometimes goes to garage but not often. I never noticed any rat drop in my garage nor the parking lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advise. To clarify, when you say "register a complaint with customer care". do you mean call the general Alfa Romeo "Contact us" number (844-253-2872)? Or is there any other more dedicated way to file complaint?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But you've only had the car for 6 days, damage could have happened at the dealership. The wire was alllmost severed when you took delivery, then the motor moving on its mounts during the 6 days you had it finished the job.
Good point. I carefully checked my garage and parking lot today, there is no rat drop at all. And my two other cars doesn't have any rat-chew problem. This car was built in April and Sold on Nov11th, so it had sit in the dealer's lot for about 6 month. I'd argue where/when the rat incident really happened with the dealership. But I am not confident they will back off.

I too have read about the problems with newer cars having their electrical wires covered with insulation that attracts rodents.

*** link removed due to low post count ***

Outdoor cats.
There are actually three outdoor/street cats in my street, they often wondering around in my backyard/front yard/parking lot. I also have an indoor cat who also goes to the garage sometimes.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Thanks for the advise. To clarify, when you say "register a complaint with customer care". do you mean call the general Alfa Romeo "Contact us" number (844-253-2872)? Or is there any other more dedicated way to file complaint?
I would call the 844 number, and send a PM to AlfaRomeoCares on this forum.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Rats/mice chewing insulation on wires/hoses is pretty common. I once left a super expensive heavy duty outdoor water hose in a hose reel box outside my house all Winter by mistake only to find a family of mice living in it in the Spring. They literally chewed up a 50 foot hose into about 12 sections of 4 feet each. One can only pray they died of a massively painful intestinal blockage.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is not a new issue nor is it specific to Alfa.
I have had damage from squirrels to German cars, domestic trucks and Japanese tractors.
Best solution is to park inside.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,194 Posts

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/how-to-protect-your-car-from-rodents/

Outdoor cats.
My problem with outdoor cats is outdoor coyotes, foxes, cougar, bear, badger, skunk etc. The problem with outdoor traps is that mice do not learn (much) and there is pretty much an infinite supply of the criters. Keeping vegetation away from parking and the house may help keep the vermin away from those locations since it provides cover and food for them. Online advice suggest peppermint spray applied every 1-2 months. Does anybody here have experience with that, good or bad?

I parked my truck for 2 months outdoors, drove it 15 miles, parked it at a job site, came back a couple of hours later and the ground around the truck was literally covered in mouse ****. I guess I need to check for damage now. 2 years ago I made the mistake of parking my Protege outside for several months (same location as above) and come spring discovered that mice had discovered that air filters make perfect mouse nesting material. I park the Protege in a garage for the winter now. I have also had to install a "mouse proof" bottom sweep on the garage door and re-enforce the side sweeps with metal flashing to keep the mice out of the garage.

The mice in my area carry Hantavirus, so this is more than a vehicle damage problem.

Chipmunks climb all over everything, but I haven't seen any problem nesting or other damage problems caused by them, just stolen small parts and tools. I think they are trying to be obnoxious in order to chase me away.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts