Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm a little over two years into life with the Giulia and today for the third time I ran into the CEL, no auto start/stop, and no mode except natural. As I had in the past, I just started and stopped the engine multiple times until it straightened itself out (took 10 starts this time). But one thing was definitely different this time around, although the dashboard showed the blue indicator of natural mode, the car seemed to drive as if it was in dynamic mode (which was the selected mode on the dial). Odd.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I'm a little over two years into life with the Giulia and today for the third time I ran into the CEL, no auto start/stop, and no mode except natural. As I had in the past, I just started and stopped the engine multiple times until it straightened itself out (took 10 starts this time). But one thing was definitely different this time around, although the dashboard showed the blue indicator of natural mode, the car seemed to drive as if it was in dynamic mode (which was the selected mode on the dial). Odd.
Did you check what the codes were via the OBD port? Reset with multiple starts is all well and good but CEL could be erratic software or an actual pending fault..not to be ignored IMHO.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No, I didn't - don't own an OBD reader, but please educate me. I would have had to take the reading while I was still having trouble to see an error code - is that right? So checking now wouldn't be of any use?
I asked Alfa to look into the problem twice, but since they couldn't reproduce the problem, I didn't get any help from them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This issue has just happened to me, the fuel is a little low on 2 LEDs, but that should not be an issue - no fuel light.

The car did just get back to me on Wednesday after having the active aero recalibrated, now the hood latch I never thought to check. The car is with Alfa, but as it is a public holiday here Monday they will not look at it until Tuesday.

I am tempted to go and open & close the hood/bonnet then run this reset code procedure. I could add 10 litres of fuel too.

Do you guys think I should just wait in case there is a underlying issue? I miss the car already :/

·
Registered
9 Posts
This issue has just happened to me, the fuel is a little low on 2 LEDs, but that should not be an issue - no fuel light.

The car did just get back to me on Wednesday after having the active aero recalibrated, now the hood latch I never thought to check. The car is with Alfa, but as it is a public holiday here Monday they will not look at it until Tuesday.

I am tempted to go and open & close the hood/bonnet then run this reset code procedure. I could add 10 litres of fuel too.

Do you guys think I should just wait in case there is a underlying issue? I miss the car already :/
Update, as I sit at the Alfa workshop.

They are updating the cars software, there are 3 error codes, I will add to this once I get the details to hand, all related to fuel supply.

The tank with 2 LEDs ( range of 50km) in Race mode and going up a gradient the ECU deemed the car was out of fuel. The engineer is saying the software update will rectify this or he is telling me porkies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update, as I sit at the Alfa workshop.

They are updating the cars software, there are 3 error codes, I will add to this once I get the details to hand, all related to fuel supply.

The tank with 2 LEDs ( range of 50km) in Race mode and going up a gradient the ECU deemed the car was out of fuel. The engineer is saying the software update will rectify this or he is telling me porkies.
The workshop did not give the error codes :/

But they did clear the codes, before applying the update, and drove the car up a hill with the tank on 2 LEDs and replicated what I experienced with the mode switching to N and CEL coming on before the car ground to a halt.

Post software update, we ran the fuel down to the fuel light and then went up the same hill. Now the ECL no longer comes on & the car continues to run.

Happy days :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has Alfa Romeo done anything for anyone in this forum? I bought a 2017 with 26k miles on it that was originally purchased in 2018. So it has 22 months on the warranty. I’ve had it for about 45-50 days and it’s been in the shop four times now. I’m just curious as to how these issues are legitimately solved. I’ve been told many many things of what it could be but no one can actually solve the problem. Alfa Romeo seems to be totally fine with their malfunctioning cars continuously roaming still. It’s a known issue, yet I have to continue to take my car into the shop for the same stuff almost every week. How are these issues being resolved?

·
Registered
2018 Giulia AWD sport, Montecarlo Blue
66 Posts
Has Alfa Romeo done anything for anyone in this forum? I bought a 2017 with 26k miles on it that was originally purchased in 2018. So it has 22 months on the warranty. ...How are these issues being resolved?
Did you buy from an Alfa dealership? From what I'm assuming, they're not updated until someone buys the car. I checked my car's Carfax and they all just said "serviced" and then one indicating oil change, all after they've been purchased.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Has Alfa Romeo done anything for anyone in this forum? I bought a 2017 with 26k miles on it that was originally purchased in 2018. So it has 22 months on the warranty. I’ve had it for about 45-50 days and it’s been in the shop four times now. I’m just curious as to how these issues are legitimately solved. I’ve been told many many things of what it could be but no one can actually solve the problem. Alfa Romeo seems to be totally fine with their malfunctioning cars continuously roaming still. It’s a known issue, yet I have to continue to take my car into the shop for the same stuff almost every week. How are these issues being resolved?
Exactly what are the issues?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all

Owner frome the UK with a Veloce (TI), 12,500 miles, just gone 2 years old and 2 instances of CEL + start/stop disabled in 2 months. Second time was more serious as DNA selector was disabled and the car locked in "N"

Not sure how it is in the States, but in the UK the roadside assistance guys seem unable to read any codes from the ECU, so that was a waste of time and the car was towed. It is sitting at a dealer some distance away with no updates yet.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia AWD sport, Montecarlo Blue
66 Posts
Not sure how it is in the States, but in the UK the roadside assistance guys seem unable to read any codes from the ECU, so that was a waste of time and the car was towed. It is sitting at a dealer some distance away with no updates yet.
Please let us know what the dealer finds out! it doesn't look like you are traveling uphill, but was your fuel tank low?
In the u.s. where I live, they don't read codes, just tow only :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Please let us know what the dealer finds out! it doesn't look like you are traveling uphill, but was your fuel tank low?
In the u.s. where I live, they don't read codes, just tow only :(
I certainly will, going to ask for the full diagnostic readout. From 30 mins Googling it seems like there are a multitude of possibilities. I always fill up before the low fuel warning comes on, so the car has never been low on fuel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Update: A "raft" of codes stored in the ECU all tracing back to the engine management software. On consultation with Alfa, dealer asked to update software, patch applied and car ready to be picked up...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Giulia Ti with 20k miles. Randomly the auto start stop light will go on as everyone has described here. The last time I took it in two months ago they ran all sorts of tests and ended up replacing my entire engine as well as the radiator. Two months later I have the car back. I’m driving and it’s wonderful of course. Then the auto start stop light came on again! Brand new innards! To say I am unhappy is an understatement. AR needs to figure this out!!! So I’ll call again, likely bring the car in again and try not to lose my mind...AGAIN!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow, they replaced the engine?! Certainly sounds like a drastic measure. I always assumed it was something electrical.
So when your car was at AR the auto S/S light was on and only normal mode was possible? The two times I had them check on it, they couldn't reproduce the problem, so nothing was done.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport
29 Posts
I just had this problem surprise me after a month with the car. I have the Madness ECM and followed this procedure to clear it:

• With engine off, unplug the harness from Madness ECM
  • Put bypass plug on harness and tuck securely
  • Crank engine
At this point, the CEL went away
  • Turn engine off
  • Return harness to Madness ECM
The CEL stayed away for now. No change in performance or behavior.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got it Sunday morning a two weeks ago. Result was carry-car, after extricating it from a tiny mountain road, 175km to Tokyo where after a week later they finally pinpointed a broken fuel pump. Parts now estimated to take another 3-4 weeks to arrive at the dealer in Tokyo. Luckily, I have a 660cc Suzuki WagonR Kei-car to get the adrenaline pumping when we reach 60-65kph, downhill. To be fair, Alfa is paying all the "freigh" and everything will be under warranty, but not looking forward to 175km trip to Tokyo this afternoon in the Suzuki. Think freeways are out of the question.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got it Sunday morning a two weeks ago. Result was carry-car, after extricating it from a tiny mountain road, 175km to Tokyo where after a week later they finally pinpointed a broken fuel pump. Parts now estimated to take another 3-4 weeks to arrive at the dealer in Tokyo. Luckily, I have a 660cc Suzuki WagonR Kei-car to get the adrenaline pumping when we reach 60-65kph, downhill. To be fair, Alfa is paying all the "freigh" and everything will be under warranty, but not looking forward to 175km trip to Tokyo this afternoon in the Suzuki. Think freeways are out of the question.
Should add with no electrics available and 4wd, the tow-truck guy had to apply every trick in his book to get the car moved. Took almost 2 hours before he could begin the trip to the city, and he had to go so slowly on the twisty roads, he didn't get there until Monday.

181 - 198 of 198 Posts