Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the new issue, yesterday. The first thing I came across was an article by Sam Smith about "Encounters with the Bella Macchina" or "the Brand of Enchantment". I am, so glad I read it as reading the majority of comments here has created high anxiety and a need for a mass amount of Prozac to ward off the dread of a sudden nuclear fireball emanating from my Guilia. In essence, the article says there is NEVER anything wrong with an Alfa Romeo. Anything, that happens is not the cars fault. But, simply an unfortunate accident like having one to many Grappa's at lunch by the factory workers or a simple typo in the coding. Alfa Romeo's are FLAWLESS. Why? Because, they are one of the most beloved brands on Earth. And, how could you love anything that is flawed?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Got the new issue, yesterday. The first thing I came across was an article by Sam Smith about "Encounters with the Bella Macchina" or "the Brand of Enchantment". I am, so glad I read it as reading the majority of comments here has created high anxiety and a need for a mass amount of Prozac to ward off the dread of a sudden nuclear fireball emanating from my Guilia. In essence, the article says there is NEVER anything wrong with an Alfa Romeo. Anything, that happens is not the cars fault. But, simply an unfortunate accident like having one to many Grappa's at lunch by the factory workers or a simple typo in the coding. Alfa Romeo's are FLAWLESS. Why? Because, they are one of the most beloved brands on Earth. And, how could you love anything that is flawed?
I like the Clarkson approach, how could you love anything that isn't flawed? Flaws are a human characteristic to embrace.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I will pick up a copy. This is great to hear positive feedback on this forum. We are pretty pleased with our first Model Year QV. The risk / reward has been worth it. The funny thing is we never thought we were taking any risks. We just thought it had all the specs we wanted so on paper she was awesom. Check, check, check, check = Purchase. After she was delivered (and cleaned up from transport) it is better than we thought. Maybe I would think differently if my last car was a 2017 911

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sam Smith's Alfa compliments are almost always backhanded, as is this one. He's basically saying that one can't criticize Alfa among Alfistis because they are irrationally devoted to the brand. Well, seems he's been carrying BMW's water for quite awhile ("Oh I used to wrench on Alfas"... so he's sympathetic by implication) so I don't pay much attention. If he wrote a good article, great, but I don't put any weight on what he does or doesn't say about Alfa.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Loved it in The Grand Tour when Clarkson gave a loving review of the QV, pointing out that the door post was in the wrong place, “How Alfa is that?!”

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
August. IMO it is a great article. Sam Smith gets it without irony but with humor and love of the brand...
I like his articles, waaay back in the day when he was writing for ROUNDEL. But like with many things today in journalism the bias of the writer always shows a little. That goes for Clarkson as well as Smith.
So personally when I read something, I take it with a grain of salt, from whom it comes from and apply my own personal experience if possible...having had both (F80 M3 & QV), the QV for me is the better car...I attribute the "issues" for Alfa to any first run car based on a completely new platform. If someone wants to find serious fault with Alfa it is more with the disparity of dealer quality/service than the actual car. just my opinion after 1.5 years & 10231 miles with my QV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts