Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Newbie here to the QV world but not the performance car world. Currently have a 2010 Mitsubishi Evo X SE (paid off) but maybe looking to get into a QV. I love different and it seems that you can't really get much more different than this car. What I really want to know is, (and please be HARSH) all of you QV owners.. why would I NOT want to buy this car? Tell me what you absolutely hate and wish you could change. Maintenance costs, crappy tires, etc.. I know all of the good. I drove one the other and absolutely fell in LOVE. So.. with that being said.. FIRE AWAY!

For your viewing pleasure.. my current obsession..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Lots of good but it’s RWD only, more fun but different than your Evo. The tires are good and sticky but terrible in the cold and wear out relatively quickly. Maintenance will cost you, first service is free but the rest are not. The 30k service is about $2k because the serpentine belt change is labor intensive because it’s pain to access. Gas mileage around town will be under 15mpg but it can swing 30mpg highway cruising in advanced efficiency mode. The best exhaust sounds are in race mode so if you want the driver assists on with the awesomest exhaust sound you need to spend $250-300 on a controller to keep the exhaust valves open in all modes.

That all said it’s totally worth it for the fun factor, unsurpassed driving dynamics and the uniqueness is nice. Also be prepared to get asked multiple times a day what it is and why it has shamrocks on the side so you have to learn the 100 y/o history of Ugo Sivocci and be able to go through a brief summary in under a minute or you’ll be late everytime you park...:grin2:

·
Registered
537 Posts
My only complaint about them is I can’t afford one.

Btw, cool evo.

The story on the shamrock that we heard at training was this : there was a superstitious Alfa race driver, he wanted a shamrock on the fender in a square for good luck, after that he did much better at the races, but a crash caused the crew to replace a fender and they didn’t have time for the shamrock, he died in that race. So from then on the shamrock exists on QV cars and race cars, but it has one corner removed for his memory, and now sits in a triangle.
That close @JerryNY

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My only complaint about them is I can’t afford one.

Btw, cool evo.

The story on the shamrock that we heard at training was this : there was a superstitious Alfa race driver, he wanted a shamrock on the fender in a square for good luck, after that he did much better at the races, but a crash caused the crew to replace a fender and they didn’t have time for the shamrock, he died in that race. So from then on the shamrock exists on QV cars and race cars, but it has one corner removed for his memory, and now sits in a triangle.
That close @JerryNY
Not bad not bad. Needs a little more passion and it helps to throw in a little about Enzo... They cut the four sided white diamond background in half as a tribute to Ugo because they lost half their heart and the resulting triangle points represented the remaining three original factor drivers, one being Il Commendatore himself. So ever since all Alfa race cars bear the Quadrifoglio triangle as do their fastest road cars since the 60’s...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nice Evo! I have 4600 miles on my Quad. The following stuff WOULD NOT keep me from purchasing, but....

The gauge hood has an annoying squeak where it meets the leather dash.
I would like a proper manual
Alfa as an organization needs some polishing

The good far outweighs the bad, and this car is pure joy to drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all the replies. You guys are not doing a good job of talking me out of buying this.. lol. I think one thing that I really hate is that there's all this technology but no gauges. Has anyone put a boost gauge at least on? Also.. for those that have had it for a while.. what's maintenance like? Costs? Pains?

·
Registered
68 Posts
There's a guy on youtube that has already put 30k+ miles on his QV. That's where I heard the $2k 30k service, as that's what he was charged.

Keep in mind the OEM tires will need replacing quickly. Definitely before 10k miles.

Hope u don't need any body work done, as it sounds as if body shops are having a hard time getting parts and completing repairs.

Dealer network can be a problem. Finding a competent dealer to properly service the car has been a recurring issue. On every other car I've owned, regular maintenance can be completed in a few hours and repairs a day or two. Seems like Alfa dealers take at least a day or two to do regular maintenance and weeks to months to complete repairs. If you plan on keeping the car, extended warranty may be a good idea. I plan on purchasing one soon. I expect things to break. A lot.

I've only had my QV for 4 months (only 1k miles, pathetic i know, but it's been raining a lot). I will admit that driving sometimes feels like a bit of roulette, wondering if I'll get any error codes or whatnot. Reading the issues and problems forum doesn't help.

My biggest problem is that I can't drive it as often as I'd like. The ground clearance isn't very good so I tend to avoid using the car if I'm going somewhere where that can be an issue. Not to mention any time I'm street parking, I'll leave the QV at home. But that's just me being paranoid. The tires are awful in winter weather, so again, less opportunity to use it in recent months.

All that being said, I still love the car. So do all the people that ask me about it at the gas station.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Nice Evo! I have 4600 miles on my Quad. The following stuff WOULD NOT keep me from purchasing, but....

The gauge hood has an annoying squeak where it meets the leather dash.
I would like a proper manual
Alfa as an organization needs some polishing

The good far outweighs the bad, and this car is pure joy to drive.
That gauge hood can be easily fixed with some soft tape on the contact points, the stuff we use is called flocking tape, it’s basicall felt.

·
Registered
315 Posts
1) The fuel gauge is more of a guide as it seems to start full and drop quickly towards the end of the tank

2) Reverse camera image is too small.

3) The back of the car seems to attract dirt like a magnet

4) You will spend a lot of time answering "what car is that?"

Now...buy one.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I had a '10 Evo X MR, and while it was a blast to shoot around in, in the ride quality department, the MR was coarse, while the GQ is so much better. The GQ also feels more like a grown up car, but doesn't skimp on performance, of course. It would be a no-brainer for me to go with the GQ.

I have a Ti Sport Q4 for my DD, but we have a company GQ fun car, but since I don't live with it, I don't have any insight in that regard.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Lovely car btw

Just to add/repeat some negative points that stick in my mind.

1. Exhaust open all the time only in Race Mode
2. Front (summer) tyres scrub at low speed in tight corners and sounds horrendous and everyone just thinks something is broken
3. Very easy to damage the front very expensive splitter.
4. Rear seats don't fold down
5. No through loading

After those points however i do not at all regret my decision, it's a awesome car!

Get 1!

·
Registered
38 Posts
1- Navigation is light years behind the competition.
2- Parts are hard to come by as mentioned. Waiting 3 weeks for a windshield
3- Not as much cachet as the big boys (BMW/MB/Porsche) due to reliability questions, brand identity
4- Rough around the edges compared to the competition.
5- Dealer service is still catching up to competition
6- some settings are locked into certain modes, deal with it
7- tires will only last you 10k miles AT BEST
8- You will be at the gas station. A lot.
9- Gas tank on the driver's side
10- Sets off the radar detectors
11- backup camera from the 80's

Glad I got one!! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts