Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There were none available and none scheduled to come in anywhere in Georgia. Bought mine from a dealer in Knoxville. The best part was the 3 hour drive home. Although I didn't push it as it only had a few miles on it, I found myself wishing the drive was a few hours longer.

Everything people have been saying about it is pretty much true. They materials in the interior is a little cheaper than its competitors, it is missing some creature comforts like a memory function for seats, mirrors etc..., no heated steering wheel and only heated seats not cooled and the upgraded Harmon stereo is adequate not great.

BUT WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT THAT STUFF?

The paint is spectacular, the body lines are amazing, the stance is perfect and when you hear it start you know you are dealing with a completely different beast. The steering wheel is right out of a California T ( I own one), the seats are beyond comfortable and fit like a glove. The instrument panels and ergonomics are fantastic and the performance blows away the Ms and the AMGs. If you are in the market for a sports sedan that feels and performs like a Ferrari run, don't walk to your nearest dealer

Attachments

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Welcome!! Thanks for the photos!

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Keep looking, you will find the memory seat feature. ;)

Welcome!

Reactions: Blkmmba

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome :)
Congrats :grin2:

Those creature comforts you mentioned are dependent upon the option packages you have. If you have the performance package with the carbon racing seats, that turns off the memory and heating. That, or you haven't figured out how to access it yet.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome :)
Congrats :grin2:

Those creature comforts you mentioned are dependent upon the option packages you have. If you have the performance package with the carbon racing seats, that turns off the memory and heating. That, or you haven't figured out how to access it yet.
I have all options except the carbon racing seats, I found the heated steering wheel button, peculiar that it is not on the steering wheel even though there is an empty button. there is no a/c seat function, where are the seat memory controls?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have all options except the carbon racing seats, I found the heated steering wheel button, peculiar that it is not on the steering wheel even though there is an empty button. there is no a/c seat function, where are the seat memory controls?
Near the seat adjustment controls

·
Registered
37 Posts
Actually i know of 2 other QV owners in Atlanta area. One is in woodstock, he got his at south atlanta fiat/alfa in morrow Ga within hours of it arriving. The other was/is still at another dealerships, sold, but electrical issues that were never fixed at port... And they were told it had some electrical issues in Italy too that they thought they had fixed.... But two for sure in Ga, one on the streets, other other bought, but at dealership.

Where do you live?

I got the TI, compitizione rosso, within roof, sports package, etc. Its' gorgeous. Been stopped by cops twice!! Once on Holcomb bridge road, night i got the car. They pulled me over to ask about the car!! Next day i drove it to super bowl party.... people freaked out, than the Super Bowl commercials just made it all that much sweeter!!! The following morning cop pulled me over in Woodstock Ga, "hey is that the car from the Super Bowl commercial," he asked.

I was at Jim Ellis maserati on saturday, and they sold 3-4 alfa's within hours of arriving. These were all Base and TI models. The dealership said this was the busiest day they had ever had with people ever, everyone coming in to test drive them and inquire about them. Funny thing is Danielle at the dealership said, "never knew so many good looking italian med lived in atlanta!!" Too funny.

I got the rosso, another gentleman on this forum got the blue (gorgeous color), and i believe a black and silver also sold within hours. They still as of monday had a white one, silver one, alfa rosso one. And the QV still not ready but sold!!

Let's meet up!!!!!! Can PM me or send me email. [email protected]

Congrats!!

Toto

·
Registered
418 Posts
There were none available and none scheduled to come in anywhere in Georgia. Bought mine from a dealer in Knoxville. The best part was the 3 hour drive home. Although I didn't push it as it only had a few miles on it, I found myself wishing the drive was a few hours longer.

Everything people have been saying about it is pretty much true. They materials in the interior is a little cheaper than its competitors, it is missing some creature comforts like a memory function for seats, mirrors etc..., no heated steering wheel and only heated seats not cooled and the upgraded Harmon stereo is adequate not great.

BUT WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT THAT STUFF?

The paint is spectacular, the body lines are amazing, the stance is perfect and when you hear it start you know you are dealing with a completely different beast. The steering wheel is right out of a California T ( I own one), the seats are beyond comfortable and fit like a glove. The instrument panels and ergonomics are fantastic and the performance blows away the Ms and the AMGs. If you are in the market for a sports sedan that feels and performs like a Ferrari run, don't walk to your nearest dealer
Pm your address or nearest dealer address and shirt/jacket size. Regardless of where you purchased your Giulia, that described how every customer should feel about the car and I'm happy to hear it.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Congratulations & welcome! It takes a bit to get used to something new.....Thursday it snowed like crazy here..sat in the garage and played with all the nobs :)
I only thing I miss is the CD player....in my BMW when you loaded a CD it saved the whole thing like an MP3....have to figure out how to download the music to a flash drive...

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Congratulations & welcome! It takes a bit to get used to something new.....Thursday it snowed like crazy here..sat in the garage and played with all the nobs :)
I only thing I miss is the CD player....in my BMW when you loaded a CD it saved the whole thing like an MP3....have to figure out how to download the music to a flash drive...
I use my computer to 'rip' CD into MP3 files. Then I copy the music files to a thumb drive. The thumb drive can just be inserted into the radio. Some radio use other types of flash drives. You may need to buy an adapter. They're only about 25 bucks and most will service 20 or 30 types of flash drives.

We must have over 100 CDs and I've ripped them all into the computer at best sound quality. I can fit all this on a flash drive and still have room.

Or, you can connect your Smart Phone to the computer with a USB cable and copy the music over into the phone. You should be able to use the phone connected to the radio (blue tooth) and listen to the phone music with the cars radio.

Ask if you have more questions. Many here have these answers.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I use my computer to 'rip' CD into MP3 files. Then I copy the music files to a thumb drive. The thumb drive can just be inserted into the radio. Some radio use other types of flash drives. You may need to buy an adapter. They're only about 25 bucks and most will service 20 or 30 types of flash drives.

We must have over 100 CDs and I've ripped them all into the computer at best sound quality. I can fit all this on a flash drive and still have room.

Or, you can connect your Smart Phone to the computer with a USB cable and copy the music over into the phone. You should be able to use the phone connected to the radio (blue tooth) and listen to the phone music with the cars radio.

Ask if you have more questions. Many here have these answers.
I still use a blackberry LOL.....Yes my son explained to me what I need to do....but then said why would you listen to the music anyway...just listen to the engine!....smart kid:wink2:

·
Registered
576 Posts
COUNTERPOINT

As an M3 owner whose lease expires next March, I've been looking at the Guilia QV very closely. My heart loves the Alfa, my brain says it's a huge compromise compared to the M/AMG cars. The things that I see as problems:
-lousy dealer network
-limited service capacity, experience
-horrible residuals, indicative of likely heavy depreciation
-comes on R Compound tires (8k wear at best, and main driver of published test results)
-No LED headlights
-LOUSY pencil thin steering wheel
-NO folding rear seats
-Inferior navigation/media technology unit
-No heated rear seats
-Zero aftermarket parts for individualization due to small sales levels
-AND tons more deficiencies. The list is extensive when you really look with an objective eye. One could argue that a likely buyer should run the other way, not towards the Alfa dealership. Suspect the Guilia QV will end up being a similar ownership experience to the Maserati Ghibli...NOT GOOD!!

BTW...though I appreciate the comments on it's handling prowess, I'm surprise the dopey car magazine writers aren't talking about the cheater R-Compound tires on the car. People say it "blows away" the M3, yet it is barely better, and on track tires at that. With the same Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires, I'm guessing it would finish behind BMW...and by a far amount.

With all the aforementioned said, I still like the car and may get an Alfa, but probably the Stelvio QV instead. Many of these lacking details will be added to that model and future model year Guilias.

Lastly, though I have not driven the Guilia QV yet, I have driven the Guilia Ti, and did feel it is a really good value compared to comparably equipped BMW 330i X-drive, but was disappointed by the lack of engine/exhaust noise and the extreme amount of wind noise entering the cabin even at 45 mph. The interior quality is several steps below the BMW as well, but the lower price and tight handling characteristics offset those deficiencies on the model.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
COUNTERPOINT

As an M3 owner whose lease expires next March, I've been looking at the Guilia QV very closely. My heart loves the Alfa, my brain says it's a huge compromise compared to the M/AMG cars. The things that I see as problems:
-lousy dealer network
-limited service capacity, experience
-horrible residuals, indicative of likely heavy depreciation
-comes on R Compound tires (8k wear at best, and main driver of published test results)
-No LED headlights
-LOUSY pencil thin steering wheel
-NO folding rear seats
-Inferior navigation/media technology unit
-No heated rear seats
-Zero aftermarket parts for individualization due to small sales levels
-AND tons more deficiencies. The list is extensive when you really look with an objective eye. One could argue that a likely buyer should run the other way, not towards the Alfa dealership. Suspect the Guilia QV will end up being a similar ownership experience to the Maserati Ghibli...NOT GOOD!!

BTW...though I appreciate the comments on it's handling prowess, I'm surprise the dopey car magazine writers aren't talking about the cheater R-Compound tires on the car. People say it "blows away" the M3, yet it is barely better, and on track tires at that. With the same Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires, I'm guessing it would finish behind BMW...and by a far amount.

With all the aforementioned said, I still like the car and may get an Alfa, but probably the Stelvio QV instead. Many of these lacking details will be added to that model and future model year Guilias.

Lastly, though I have not driven the Guilia QV yet, I have driven the Guilia Ti, and did feel it is a really good value compared to comparably equipped BMW 330i X-drive, but was disappointed by the lack of engine/exhaust noise and the extreme amount of wind noise entering the cabin even at 45 mph. The interior quality is several steps below the BMW as well, but the lower price and tight handling characteristics offset those deficiencies on the model.
Ahhh do you have a ZCP F80? I also had an F80 (2015) kept it for a year...and of all the M3 I've owned this was the one I liked the least...
don't get me wrong from purely a performance perspective it was a big step above my E92....but I personally preferred the driving experience of the E92 a bit more...when I got my F80 the ZCP package was not an available option...
that said....yes the infotainment system on the Alfa is not as advanced as the F80 and takes getting used too.
the performance is similar..neither is running away from the other...and I'm sure that if you put a set of R888 on an F80 the lap times would be even closer perhaps better?....but please stop whining about the tires. they are OEM...they were not put on the car to do the comparison...
as far as your other points re: dealer network/reliability etc. well only time will tell...
as far as its residual value...many new models have crap residuals when they first arrive as they have no way to monetize it. ie lease rates on the F80 M3 are much better now then when I bought my car...and interest rates were in the same ball park...
just to be clear...I have owned M cars & BMWs for the last 27 years. I still have my E30 M3 (my first M car) and my E39 M5 (the BEST M :grin2:)...I have had an E36M3, E34M5 E92M3 & F80M3. I currently have in the family an E46 325xi (which I think the E46 are fantastic), an E92 335xi, an E84 X1 M-Sport & finally just leased an F30 340xi M-Sport....
I only mention this because I would like you to see that I am always objective when it comes to things like this...
and frankly I don't go for much of the fanboy BS from ANY car forum...I join them to learn about the marque/model...
If you are in NY and would like to drive a QV let me know.
Regards
M

·
Registered
576 Posts
Ahhh do you have a ZCP F80? I also had an F80 (2015) kept it for a year...and of all the M3 I've owned this was the one I liked the least...
don't get me wrong from purely a performance perspective it was a big step above my E92....but I personally preferred the driving experience of the E92 a bit more...when I got my F80 the ZCP package was not an available option...
that said....yes the infotainment system on the Alfa is not as advanced as the F80 and takes getting used too.
the performance is similar..neither is running away from the other...and I'm sure that if you put a set of R888 on an F80 the lap times would be even closer perhaps better?....but please stop whining about the tires. they are OEM...they were not put on the car to do the comparison...
as far as your other points re: dealer network/reliability etc. well only time will tell...
as far as its residual value...many new models have crap residuals when they first arrive as they have no way to monetize it. ie lease rates on the F80 M3 are much better now then when I bought my car...and interest rates were in the same ball park...
just to be clear...I have owned M cars & BMWs for the last 27 years. I still have my E30 M3 (my first M car) and my E39 M5 (the BEST M :grin2:)...I have had an E36M3, E34M5 E92M3 & F80M3. I currently have in the family an E46 325xi (which I think the E46 are fantastic), an E92 335xi, an E84 X1 M-Sport & finally just leased an F30 340xi M-Sport....
I only mention this because I would like you to see that I am always objective when it comes to things like this...
and frankly I don't go for much of the fanboy BS from ANY car forum...I join them to learn about the marque/model...
If you are in NY and would like to drive a QV let me know.
Regards
M
Thanks for the invite to drive. Just to be clear, I'm far from a fanboy of any particular marque, having had several Porsches, AMGs, and Audi cars. When in the market for a fun new car (every 12-24 months), I always look for the best overall vehicle available and have never taken a step backwards. With that said, the F80 was the first M car I actually wanted to purchase after the test drive, but then again, I was coming out of 4 straight AMGs, so I finally found the arrival of torque to an M car be a refreshing event. I almost bought an E92 but was very disappointed by it's lack of low end torque, that it was completely turned me. Though it handled well, it was much less exciting/interesting than the AMGs that I decided to buy instead. I only spend 1-2 days at the track/year, so spirited daily street performance is more of what I focus on. Winding up a car to redline to get anything out of it gets very old after a while if it's your daily driver.

Regarding the Alfa, I'm mostly Italian, and have had 2 Ferraris and 2 Maseratis in our family, so the ability to finally buy a modern Alfa was very exciting, until I looked into it further by doing a detailed A-B comparison between my fully-loaded 2015 M3 vs the Giulia QV. BTW...I would never move to a 2017 F80 ZCP because the seats are hortibly unsupportive without the adjustable lumbar. I really want the Alfa to be the better car...as incentive/rationalization to make a change...but from what I seen so far, it is pretty similar driving characteristics-wise, but falls far short in everyday quality/features, and more than likely, reliability/service experience, but the jury is still out on that. However, the odds are not in Alfa's favor.

My local Alfa dealer is also a Rolls, Bentley, Lamborghini, and Maserati dealership, and from what I can see, there is no possible way they will be able to provide efficient service with the small number of techs and service bays available. Even worse is another new Alfa dealer co-located at the Fiat and Dodge dealership. How can that not be a disappointment waiting to happen. The launch has already been a disaster (failed crash testing, re-design, and two year delay) so count me a skeptic that the ownership experience could ever rival that of Mercedes or BMW. Again, really hope I'm proven wrong here, but pretty certain I'm going to right. Can't imagine Alfa being any better prepared than Maserati was and we all know how that turned out. The Ghilbli is a total POS (not to mention two new fire-related recalls last week!) and my local dealer can't even give away Levantes, nor sell them for about a month due to recall related sales embargo.

I'm hoping that Alfa avoids these types of potholes and fills in these major gaps in year two of the Giulia or at least with the launch of the Stelvio QV. I'd prefer a Giulia QV, but only if things are plussed up quality-wise. I'm definitely rooting for Alfa to succeed, but I suspect after the initial hoopla dies down, 8 months from now, people will look at the car's actual value more objectively versus the M3 and upcoming RS5 (hopefully, Sportback), or perhaps a Jag XE SVT if ever made, and they will be selling for several thousand dollars off of sticker. Remember, the first Ghibli buyers were the unhappiest people ever once they got a true taste of Italian car ownership. They too paid over sticker only to have the cars being discounted nearly $20k less than a year later. Hopefully, Alfa does not repeat that mistake. Setting residuals at 43% is not exactly bolstering people confidence to make the financial leap into a brand new, first model year, launch car. At one local dealer, they've had a Giulia QV sitting for nearly two months with no takers, and another brand new dealer has had lots off interest post Super Bowl, yet nobody has come close to pulling the trigger yet. That does not bode too well for the car, nor Alfa's attempted U.S. market re-entry. :surprise:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the invite to drive. Just to be clear, I'm far from a fanboy of any particular marque, having had several Porsches, AMGs, and Audi cars. When in the market for a fun new car (every 12-24 months), I always look for the best overall vehicle available and have never taken a step backwards. With that said, the F80 was the first M car I actually wanted to purchase after the test drive, but then again, I was coming out of 4 straight AMGs, so I finally found the arrival of torque to an M car be a refreshing event. I almost bought an E92 but was very disappointed by it's lack of low end torque, that it was completely turned me. Though it handled well, it was much less exciting/interesting than the AMGs that I decided to buy instead. I only spend 1-2 days at the track/year, so spirited daily street performance is more of what I focus on. Winding up a car to redline to get anything out of it gets very old after a while if it's your daily driver.

Regarding the Alfa, I'm mostly Italian, and have had 2 Ferraris and 2 Maseratis in our family, so the ability to finally buy a modern Alfa was very exciting, until I looked into it further by doing a detailed A-B comparison between my fully-loaded 2015 M3 vs the Giulia QV. BTW...I would never move to a 2017 F80 ZCP because the seats are hortibly unsupportive without the adjustable lumbar. I really want the Alfa to be the better car...as incentive/rationalization to make a change...but from what I seen so far, it is pretty similar driving characteristics-wise, but falls far short in everyday quality/features, and more than likely, reliability/service experience, but the jury is still out on that. However, the odds are not in Alfa's favor.

My local Alfa dealer is also a Rolls, Bentley, Lamborghini, and Maserati dealership, and from what I can see, there is no possible way they will be able to provide efficient service with the small number of techs and service bays available. Even worse is another new Alfa dealer co-located at the Fiat and Dodge dealership. How can that not be a disappointment waiting to happen. The launch has already been a disaster (failed crash testing, re-design, and two year delay) so count me a skeptic that the ownership experience could ever rival that of Mercedes or BMW. Again, really hope I'm proven wrong here, but pretty certain I'm going to right. Can't imagine Alfa being any better prepared than Maserati was and we all know how that turned out. The Ghilbli is a total POS (not to mention two new fire-related recalls last week!) and my local dealer can't even give away Levantes, nor sell them for about a month due to recall related sales embargo.

I'm hoping that Alfa avoids these types of potholes and fills in these major gaps in year two of the Giulia or at least with the launch of the Stelvio QV. I'd prefer a Giulia QV, but only if things are plussed up quality-wise. I'm definitely rooting for Alfa to succeed, but I suspect after the initial hoopla dies down, 8 months from now, people will look at the car's actual value more objectively versus the M3 and upcoming RS5 (hopefully, Sportback), or perhaps a Jag XE SVT if ever made, and they will be selling for several thousand dollars off of sticker. Remember, the first Ghibli buyers were the unhappiest people ever once they got a true taste of Italian car ownership. They too paid over sticker only to have the cars being discounted nearly $20k less than a year later. Hopefully, Alfa does not repeat that mistake. Setting residuals at 43% is not exactly bolstering people confidence to make the financial leap into a brand new, first model year, launch car. At one local dealer, they've had a Giulia QV sitting for nearly two months with no takers, and another brand new dealer has had lots off interest post Super Bowl, yet nobody has come close to pulling the trigger yet. That does not bode too well for the car, nor Alfa's attempted U.S. market re-entry. :surprise:
Dude, you are way too cynical to own one of these cars. If you're already concerned about resale value and the dealership experience, then I recommend you stick with your BMWs and AMGs. I will tell you right now that the Alfa will be just as unreliable as the Ghibli, and maybe more so due to its brand new architecture. As for what it's worth in a couple years, I could not care less - I'm buying it for the thrill of driving it, not to resell it. The Alfa is for people who want something a little rare and different and are willing to pay, both economically and in potential headaches.

BTW, there have been no QVs sitting for two months. But the one I am aware of that has been sitting since January is because the dealer has been trying to squeeze people for $10k over sticker.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts

You brought up a few points that I'd like to address:
  • Maserati:
the Ghilbli was a mess from the get-go...Maser's answer for an affordable offering?? just lousy in all aspects...drove a Q4 and was not impressed at all at any price. not sure I would lump Alfa in there just yet
  • Pricing:
the fact of the matter is that many (unfortunately) dealers tend to mark up new models especially when there is much hype around them...
and that does not pertain only to imports. ie Ford GT350 & GT350R....there are 2 sitting at my local dealer because of the silly mark-up and the ALFA is not immune to this...much like the new M3 GTS....there are some available in my area because of the mark-up...moral to the story again not exclusive to Alfa...just an evil of the auto industry..and if someone paid over sticker for a QV shame on them..
for the Ti models they need to have attractive lease options and allow people to custom order...if they don't they will be dead before they start.

• Audi & Jag:
have my doubts that an RS5 will make it to the US...I could be wrong...but it seems they killed the S4...for what the S3??...what a shame.
the Jag had me very very interested but none of my local dealers had a clue about the XE 3.5T R-Sport much less anything special like an SVR

as far as first year jitters...well I don;t know why, but with the exception of my E30 M3(89) I have always bought 1st year cars and had an issue only once with my E92. all the other cars were flawless....again time will tell with the Alfa...

BTW did not say you were a fanboy:D....it was more an observation of what I have encountered lately on the internet. I'm an older fellow, and for me its not about kicking sand in someones face. its about respecting other people's opinions.
Offer stands...I'm guessing your in PA area with the City of Champions sig.
Regards
M

1 - 20 of 54 Posts