Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting for the Giulia to arrive and LOVE the car ( wish it had a manual but not a deal breaker)
I have only owned two Italian cars in the past a Fiat 131 and a 1979 Brava ( a dressed up 131)
We then moved to German cars w a 1981 Jetta then BMW's for 25 years.
I am of Italian ancestery and now at 63 want to buy one ( FUN) Italian car while I can still drive LOL !!I was looking for a 124 coupe 1969-1973 body style but have given up trying to find one without rust .

The car I am interested in would be the base car not the Four Leaf Clover V6.
I am lucky enough to own a 2006 pristine 911 coupe ( I bought it from a Porsche dealer w only 8K miles on it in 2007) it now has 35k miles- silver w Porsche sport seats Porsche sport exhaust and 6 speed manual when I have a need for raw speed.

The Alfa would be more for sporty road trips and day to day use - my wife will not take a trip in the 911 too uncomfortable and I must after about 2 hours agree !!

My question though is with the great depreciation of Maseratis' you can buy an almost new low mileage Maserati Ghibli or an older Grand Tourismo ( a friend just purchased a one owner 2009 GT w 25K miles for $48K) for the same price as a new Giulia

I haven't driven the Alfa yet but have driven both Maseratis' and was impressed

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

I am leaning toward the Alfa since I would be the first owner and the warranty but the Maseratis have more exotic engines
Has anyone driven/owned all three and have any advice ??
I would hope service expense would be less w the Alfa - my 911 is expensive to service and I assume that a Maserati would be even more costly Thank you for any input !
Best !
Russ DeJulio
Pittsburgh PA

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I am selling my Range Rover because while it is reliable and very good, it is expensive to service. More than my dad's Porsche for sure. I am sick of paying over 1000 dollars on regular maintenance every time I go to the dealer. One of my favorite cars of all time is a Maserati Quattroporte (last generation), and I wanted to buy one. To me, the new Giulia is just as appealing to me as the old QP, with the same flair to me, and probably just as quick. I have friends who had used Maseratis and maintenance was very similar to my car. I think if you are not thrilled by Porsche maintenance, you probably shouldn't buy a used Maserati. Maseratis maintained well won't give you problems, but routine service is just simply more than most (and probably you) will want to pay, and rightfully so.

The Ghibli to me isn't a real Maserati, and frankly it would never be worth owning one out of warranty. I did calculations recently where I figured out my RR costs me on average almost $375/mo on maintenance alone, and with my financing situation, it would actually be cheaper to lease a brand new RR. Just food for thought.

I hope this helps, thank you for posting your thoughts

Also, just realize that the Maserati will continue to depreciate into oblivion, and frankly if you really really like Maseratis look into a low mileage lease. I've quickly learned used luxury cars do not make any financial sense 99% of the time

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Max for your advice !

BTW I know about Land Rovers my wife had a LR 3 last year we traded for a new Audi Q5 no issues double the gas mileage we love it !

Best !

Russ

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with the others the Ghibli competes with the BMW 5 series or Merc E Class and the GT is more along the lines of a BMW 7 Series or Merc S Class.

Whereas the Giulia is competitor to BMW 3 series, Merc C Class and Audi A4 models.

Overall, the Giulia is a looker and still fun to drive but in terms of reliability and comfort the 3 series to me hands down is the better car. BMW has been perfecting this sport sedan segment for years and it is really tough to beat.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The Maserati is really a different type of car. It's more of a luxury car with some performance, where the Alfa is a pure sports sedan, with some luxury thrown in. Yes, when comparing used vs. new the prices can get pretty close, but for a fun to drive sedan I think the Alfa is going to be the winner.

As for BMWs and Audis, I am just not interested in them. They may be fine cars, but the Alfa has a lot of advantages over both, at least from my biased Italian car point of view. In my view it's Alfa who has perfected the sports sedan. Yes, they have been out of the game for a while, but overall, since the 1950's they have built some of the very best sports sedans which were very successful in racing well into the 90's.

Greg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Greg !

I agree I owned BMW's for 25 years and recently a 2013 A 4 an excellent car but not much "fun"

I retired and my wife did not like the stick so we traded our LR3 and A4 in on a new Q5 for her

In the late 1980's I owned a 1984 528 e BMW a GREAT car that I used for work traveling the States of North Carolina and South Carolina I put 251K miles on it without a major issue except a cracked engine head before giving it to my barber in 1997 !!
The engine bay was so wide/ open I was able to change the oil and tune it up (once I purchased a metric wrench to take the rotor off ( 3 screws)
The Alfa Milano was introduced w the 3.0 v6 and we drove one when I owned the 528 . After about a minute my wife and I both had big smiles on our faces ! I am 6' 2" so the driving position and pedal to steering wheel distance w my legs hitting the wheel killed the deal . I knew the BMW was better built but the Alfa was FUN !
I will be interested to drive the new Giulia - I could not fit in the 4 C so that was also a no go ! Best ! Russ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree BMW's have unfortunately gone downhill in quality recently I also think Audi is a better car today

However Takumis' 2005 M3 w the last of the straight 6 M engines w 333 HP is a GREAT car and future classic !!

Isn't it amazing how high the original M3 prices are now along w early 356's and 911's crazy in my opinion !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cowboy I agree and must say that I am very sorry to see BMW loose its mojo

All the guys I know locally and at track events like the e46 and e 92 V8 M3's better than the new M4

Its a HUGE disappointment to me that BMW pipes in synthetic engine sounds through the radio on the new M cars
HOW can they sleep at night !!! LOL !!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I agree the Germans will be more reliable but does the Alfa deliver a bigger FUN factor w both the turbo 4 and V6 ??

I hope so I haven't driven either yet

You have quite a car collection ( I am jealous !! ) and you own both German and Italian what is your opinion ??

BTW Your e46 M 3 is a super car !!!

Best !

Russ

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Thank you Greg !

I agree I owned BMW's for 25 years and recently a 2013 A 4 an excellent car but not much "fun"

I retired and my wife did not like the stick so we traded our LR3 and A4 in on a new Q5 for her

In the late 1980's I owned a 1984 528 e BMW a GREAT car that I used for work traveling the States of North Carolina and South Carolina I put 251K miles on it without a major issue except a cracked engine head before giving it to my barber in 1997 !!
The engine bay was so wide/ open I was able to change the oil and tune it up (once I purchased a metric wrench to take the rotor off ( 3 screws)
The Alfa Milano was introduced w the 3.0 v6 and we drove one when I owned the 528 . After about a minute my wife and I both had big smiles on our faces ! I am 6' 2" so the driving position and pedal to steering wheel distance w my legs hitting the wheel killed the deal . I knew the BMW was better built but the Alfa was FUN !
I will be interested to drive the new Giulia - I could not fit in the 4 C so that was also a no go ! Best ! Russ
Hi Russell, you're welcome for my thoughts. You seem like you have a lot of great stories and experiences with cars over the years. I highly recommend go driving one, I am almost 6'3" and fit in the car with a sunroof ok, but I do refuse to buy one with a sunroof. Without a sunroof, you have tons of headroom! Legroom is no issue. I can tell you I am working on buying a Giulia, just waiting for one that I want to hit the showroom and get my RR sold in the meantime.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I agree BMW's have unfortunately gone downhill in quality recently I also think Audi is a better car today

However Takumis' 2005 M3 w the last of the straight 6 M engines w 333 HP is a GREAT car and future classic !!

Isn't it amazing how high the original M3 prices are now along w early 356's and 911's crazy in my opinion !
Couldn't disagree more about BMW's "going downhill". That's just totally incorrect. I've had 3 different ones since 2005 (545i, X3, M3 F80), and two of my recent girlfriends have had an M235 and M240 convertibles successively, and they are fabulous. None of the cars have had any mechanical or electrical issues, have very nice interior build quality, are incredibly solid and fun to drive.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yes I agree the Germans will be more reliable
Well, now lets not jump to conclusions. Does anyone else remember BMW's Nickasil fiasco, or the Audi Fox. That car was worse than any Alfa ever.

I suspect the Giulia will be pretty good, I can't say it will be as good or better than BMW, but I think it will be fine. In fact most modern cars are really good, so good in fact that consumer reports has had to expand its definition of unreliable to include stuff that has nothing to do with reliability. Lots of people complained that the cup holder won't handle a Super Big Gulp, it's unreliable! The Nav system is too hard to figure out...unreliable, and so on.

This hit the 2014 Fiat 500L incredibly hard, it's actually a very reliable car, but came out on the bottom of the list because people complained about things that were actually normal, like the Dual Dry Clutch Transmission not feeling like a traditional hydraulic automatic.

Greg

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Well, now lets not jump to conclusions. Does anyone else remember BMW's Nickasil fiasco, or the Audi Fox. That car was worse than any Alfa ever.

I suspect the Giulia will be pretty good, I can't say it will be as good or better than BMW, but I think it will be fine. In fact most modern cars are really good, so good in fact that consumer reports has had to expand its definition of unreliable to include stuff that has nothing to do with reliability. Lots of people complained that the cup holder won't handle a Super Big Gulp, it's unreliable! The Nav system is too hard to figure out...unreliable, and so on.

This hit the 2014 Fiat 500L incredibly hard, it's actually a very reliable car, but came out on the bottom of the list because people complained about things that were actually normal, like the Dual Dry Clutch Transmission not feeling like a traditional hydraulic automatic.

Greg
My mom bought a Fiat 500 Sport (manual) when they were new in 2012. She drove it a lot, did about 20k a year for two years. The car would randomly stall in traffic, shake at certain speeds, the mirrors would shake so violently they changed position, the Pirellis were terrible, and had misfires on two of the cylinders. This is my mom we're talking about. Not exactly a racing driver, just a little higher mileage than some people. She never got rid of a new car quicker in her life. It's sad, I liked the car too.

Oh, and not to mention almost immediately after she got rid of it, the engine caught on fire at a dealer auction I believe. I saw pictures of it with the front end all ruined and sunken in a few months back.

I hope for the best with Alfa, because to me it is a bit of a gamble, but I'd be lying if I said I am not a risk-taker!

·
Registered
31 Posts

I do love the E46 M3 which is the reason I have kept it for all these years. Just a fun car all around.

In any event, our Giulia has some issues that I mentioned in another thread already but here they are:

1. The cupholders are a pain to deal with because there are rubber inserts which makes it very difficult to take your bottles out especially Starbucks plastic cups.

2. I wish the steering wheel was thicker because it just feels small to me.

3. It was recently raining here and the brake pedal vibrates each time the wiper went off. Never had a pedal do this in any other car.

4.Lastly, there is a whistle sound coming from the Driver's side at highway speeds... (taking it to dealer tomorrow to figure out where it is coming from).

Overall, I still love driving the car. It handles amazing and the base torque is plenty to pass up cars. I will mention it is my wife driving the Giulia daily and she loves it. She never has any complaints but then again she was the one who fell in love with it the day she first saw it. As long as she is happy then that's all that matters to me.

If you are planning on buying one then just for your info I got $2500 off MSRP. Hopefully, you can get that amount off or more. Let us know when you get to test drive a Giulia and what your final decision is!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Couldn't disagree more about BMW's "going downhill". That's just totally incorrect. I've had 3 different ones since 2005 (545i, X3, M3 F80), and two of my recent girlfriends have had an M235 and M240 convertibles successively, and they are fabulous. None of the cars have had any mechanical or electrical issues, have very nice interior build quality, are incredibly solid and fun to drive.
Don't forget to mention that BMW still has maintenance coverage too if any issues did come up. Personally, I agree with you and its between a QV and F80 M3 for me this year.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Don't forget to mention that BMW still has maintenance coverage too if any issues did come up. Personally, I agree with you and its between a QV and F80 M3 for me this year.
I've had an interesting journey with both the M3 (22,500 miles) and Alfa Giulia QV (300 miles). I was really intrigued by the Alfa partly because I loved the Milano and old Giuliettas as a kid, and also because I'm mostly Italian. I think the exterior design is extremely sensual and the fact that the car was less common was a huge factor for me. I always prefer to have something different.

Upon getting the Alfa, I loved the ride and stock exhaust sound (Race), but felt the throttle response and steering feel were kind lacking compared to my modestly tuned M3. However, as I've been de-modding the M3 for listing on Swapalease, I have to say that the more the M3 comes back to stock, the less I'm enamored with it. Example: I spent several hours carefully removing the black painted with M theme striped front grills, M Carbon Fiber Exhaust diffuser, and most importantly, the Turner Motorsports Tuning Module which puts out an additional 60hp. With the tune, the M3 absolutely murdered the Giulia around town, but without it, not even close. The Giulia is much more powerful in stock form and the chassis is top notch.

If given the chance to get either an M3 or Giulia QV, I'd now choose the Giulia. If given the chance to get a Giulia Ti or used Maserati Ghibli, I probably choose the Giulia Ti. The Maserati is pretty, has a much nicer interior, but that's where the compsrison ends. IMHO, the Giulia handles and rides better than the Maserati, and is more unique to look at. To each there own, but the Giulia, despite it's missing features, is really starting to grow on me.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Longtime BMW Owner

I still have 6 BMWs in the household...and now one really sexy red-haired Italian>:)
and the truth is that if BMW EVER gets rid of the scheduled maintenance I am willing to bet their sales will dip. they already changed it for all 2017 and new models. that is why we picked up a 2016 340xi M-Sport before her old lease was actually up. she gets 4 yrs 50k..2017 is 3yr 36k and they cut what they service...BTW that service is GREAT if you lease...but if you don't..are you going to change your oil once a year???....I hope not
the weak spot for the BMW are the brakes....in every car we have ever leased for my wife (she gets leases) we have had complete brake work(rotors & pads) done on the dealers time once in each of the 3 years each car was leased....and just pads once....my wife drives the cars hard has a heavy foot....:eek:
Regards
M

1 - 20 of 36 Posts