Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Adaptive Cruise Control on my Giulia. Several months ago Alfa issued a recall to upgrade the software. I had the recall service performed today. On the way home from the dealership, I noticed that when the ACC halted the car for stopped traffic the ACC would not disengage for up to a minute. Previously, if the ACC stopped the vehicle for more than 3 or so seconds, the ACC would disengage. You would then need to hit resume to bring the car back up to speed. Now, you merely need to press the accelerator and the ACC starts back up. This is sooooo much more convenient in stop-and-go traffic.

Reactions: irod and Alfissimo

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the Adaptive Cruise Control on my Giulia. Several months ago Alfa issued a recall to upgrade the software. I had the recall service performed today. On the way home from the dealership, I noticed that when the ACC halted the car for stopped traffic the ACC would not disengage for up to a minute. Previously, if the ACC stopped the vehicle for more than 3 or so seconds, the ACC would disengage. You would then need to hit resume to bring the car back up to speed. Now, you merely need to press the accelerator and the ACC starts back up. This is sooooo much more convenient in stop-and-go traffic.
What did you have to complain about to get the upgrade. I need an upgrade but the car doesn't really have a quantifiable problem.

·
Registered
408 Posts
What did you have to complain about to get the upgrade. I need an upgrade but the car doesn't really have a quantifiable problem.
It comes with the ACC recall, so they have to do it if you have ACC and were under the recall ( I think all the 2017’s and 2018’s were).

Reactions: LoCoRob

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine had that feature before the recall...

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Doesn't the dealer have too notify you? Otherwise I was under the impression unless you complained about a specific issue relative to the recall that they won't do it.
No, if you’re call is affected by an official recall, call the dealer and make an appointment to get it fixed. They have no say, the manufacturer has identified a potential defect that needs to be addressed. You can check the Alfa app or the NHSTA site (https://www.safercar.gov/) to see if your car is subject to a recall.

Reactions: AlfaLarreo

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Doesn't the dealer have too notify you? Otherwise I was under the impression unless you complained about a specific issue relative to the recall that they won't do it.
It's a recall concerning a potential safety issue, so it's mandatory if your car is one of the affected ones....

·
Registered
113 Posts
No, if you’re call is affected by an official recall, call the dealer and make an appointment to get it fixed. They have no say, the manufacturer has identified a potential defect that needs to be addressed. You can check the Alfa app or the NHSTA site (https://www.safercar.gov/) to see if your car is subject to a recall.
Never been able to register the Alfa app.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mine used to automatically start moving again when traffic started moving before the recall, but after it now seems to require you to hit the gas to start moving again. I think I liked it better before when it would start moving again on its own.

·
Registered
501 Posts
When you think about it, trusting your car not to hit the one in front of you without any driver input doesn't seem very safe either. That is exactly what this system was designed to do though, a lot of trust has to be involved if you want to feel safe. It never once worried me that it was going to start moving too soon, but I have had times where it fails to slow on it's own soon enough though. (like when someone cuts you off in traffic)

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,996 Posts
Bow to our robot overlords.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,617 Posts
When you think about it, trusting your car not to hit the one in front of you without any driver input doesn't seem very safe either. That is exactly what this system was designed to do though, a lot of trust has to be involved if you want to feel safe. It never once worried me that it was going to start moving too soon, but I have had times where it fails to slow on it's own soon enough though. (like when someone cuts you off in traffic)
The owners manual lists some conditions under which ACC will fail.

Here is one that I experienced recently:

I was driving around a "sharp" left turn marked 35MPH on a highway. I just cruise though at the speed limit on ACC. The curve has great sight lines and the car can cope with at least 20MPH over the speed limit in this curve.

The guy maybe 100 yards ahead of me slows to the advisory speed in the curve. As I near the curve ACC does not "see" the slow driver so that it can slow down in a controlled fashion. It would not be good to have ACC and/or FCW attempt a panic brake in the middle of a 0.5g turn so rather than test the system I gently applied the brakes to match the slower car's speed.

Also, at somewhere about 0.5g turns, ACC apparently decides to reduce your speed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.