Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I won't be run out of Italy with this thread! :( :)D)
I simply love my Giulia Q4 and also drool over the Ti and Quad models.
My brother owned an older Giulia and it has been in my blood since.

This thread is not to be negative but voice my not understanding the appeal of
a Giulia SUV. I hope others will voice their attraction for this Giuylia SUV so
maybe I can more appreciate the concept for a Giulia.

Of course I understand the general appeal of SUV's, hatchbacks and other family
type utility vehicles. I just was very surprised when I saw the Stelvio introduction.
Somehow it doesn't seem to fit into the sports sedan image for my old/sporty mind.
I sincerely hope it sells well. I just don't yet get an Alfa Romeo Giulia SUV.

A Stelvio SUV Quadrifoglio, 505 Horsepower, carbon fiber everything, 8-speed automatic,
and Steering Column-Mounted Aluminum Paddle Shifters. Holy Take The Kids To The
Supermarket at 190 mph!
:eek:

Please help me to change my mind. Brainwashing is perfectly acceptable!
I especially don't get the new tri-coat funky/groovy metallic paint option. (see photo)

Chuck :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
In addition to making cars that look like "eggs"....Porsche makes two "SUV's"....it all boils down to "....we all gotta live......"

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
that's the same paint the Giulia was introduced with.

the quad only goes 177 - but really, how many buyers of the 4 cylinder car will ever run it flat out anyway? it's just a number. likewise handling limits; very few will actually track their car, most will get their enjoyment at cornering speeds obtainable by any competent driver in any decent vehicle.

a higher seating position on an undulating road allows faster safe speeds than driving faster than you can see does.

ground clearance is a good thing if you encounter snow or roadkill, or the occasional unpaved or unkept road.

the quadrifoglio giulia, without folding seats, is not very handy if you have the need to transport anything of any length or bulk. even with folding seats, a sedan is severely limited.

and if you want to tow anything, like a Beta or Ducati, or just yard waste, the car does not offer a hitch in the US.

so it comes down to whether you do stuff with your vehicle, or want to have an extra vehicle for when you do stuff.

personally I'm a little tired of having to have a van or truck in addition to an enjoyable vehicle, and if a Stelvio Quad gives giggles on the way to pick up a busso 6 in the next state, and is pleasant enough on the way back, I could be a happy guy.

if it has a race mode turning off the nannies, I will likely prefer it to the 4 cylinder car more often than not anyway.

the Giulia is an enormous vehicle anyway, so it might as well be useful.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You can buy a Jeep SUV with 707 HP, is that necessary? No, but people will buy it.....I'm just happy in my Jeep SRT with only 475 HP, it's a pretty cool towing vehicle.... LOL

Reactions: inikkor

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I hope I won't be run out of Italy with this thread! :( :)D)
I simply love my Giulia Q4 and also drool over the Ti and Quad models.
My brother owned an older Giulia and it has been in my blood since.

This thread is not to be negative but voice my not understanding the appeal of
a Giulia SUV. I hope others will voice their attraction for this Giuylia SUV so
maybe I can more appreciate the concept for a Giulia.

Of course I understand the general appeal of SUV's, hatchbacks and other family
type utility vehicles. I just was very surprised when I saw the Stelvio introduction.
Somehow it doesn't seem to fit into the sports sedan image for my old/sporty mind.
I sincerely hope it sells well. I just don't yet get an Alfa Romeo Giulia SUV.

A Stelvio SUV Quadrifoglio, 505 Horsepower, carbon fiber everything, 8-speed automatic,
and Steering Column-Mounted Aluminum Paddle Shifters. Holy Take The Kids To The
Supermarket at 190 mph!
:eek:

Please help me to change my mind. Brainwashing is perfectly acceptable!
I especially don't get the new tri-coat funky/groovy metallic paint option. (see photo)

Chuck :smile2:
Why is Alfa making-selling SUVs?
Simple. It's the hottest segment in automotive sales.
More showroom traffic=more sales.
Many Porsche purists were outraged when they introduced the Cayenne. Fact is, it saved Porsche's butt and increased their bottom line by billions.
I have no problem with Alfa building the Stelvio. I hope that it sells well.
For me, at this time in my life, I need a new sedan, not an SUV.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I had the same impression when I first saw a Cayenne, ugly!

I'll try to say it rather diplomatically. The Stelvio in my eyes is slightly less than beautiful!

I do understand the current SUV fad but for Alfa Romeo? I hope it will sell like hotcakes for Alfa's sake! It just looks more like a hatchback to me.

PS: Correction:
Holy Take The Kids To The Supermarket at 177 mph!
However, the Stelvio Quad is 6 cylinders.

Reactions: GioSailor

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
What @AlfaAndy said! The Stelvio, if it does its job, will be the reason Alfa can be economically successful here. SUV/SAV segment is literally the horse that pulls the cart these days!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
the Stelvio 4 cylinder only tows 3000 pounds, unsuitable for you.
I doubt the Quadrifoglio will be much, if any, more, but I don't tow cars often, so not an issue for me.

The Trackhawk sounds like tons of fun, and I'm guessing your SRT is only a ton of fun - perhaps more than a Levante.

I really hope the Stelvio race mode is like the new M5, where it becomes RWD only, and the tests are grins and giggles like the Giulia Quad gets, rather than the more subdued reviews of 4cylinder Giulias and Stelvios. Especially after reading the fuel economy threads here, I really think the "A" mode needs to be replaced with an "Alfa" mode, for those who don't want/need the intervention of electronics.
That's a far bigger deal to me than horepower.

As far as eggs go, in my eyes, SAAB 99 turbo was a good looking egg, and I preferred the driving position, big hatch, and hitch to the Alfetta GT it replaced, but the Alfa was a far nicer car to drive. And the SAAB was sold pretty quickly, as the turbo lag and FWD were big problems for me.

If memory serves me correctly, my Jag 140 had folding rear seats, with ample room to bring home a decent Christmas tree. I had to build a roof rack for a long camping road trip in a 911 with two kids.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had the same impression when I first saw a Cayenne, ugly!

I'll try to say it rather diplomatically. The Stelvio in my eyes is slightly less than beautiful!

I do understand the current SUV fad but for Alfa Romeo? I hope it will sell like hotcakes for Alfa's sake! It just looks more like a hatchback to me.

PS: Correction:
Holy Take The Kids To The Supermarket at 177 mph!
However, the Stelvio Quad is 6 cylinders.

Agree, it makes sense financially for Alfa, but did not need to look like an awkward taller Giulia 5 Dr on stilts. A sleeker look would have helped. Something Jaguar did better on their 1st SUV, as well as the Macan for example (that is much better than Cayenne).

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
there are many who would have prefferred a giulia wagon/estate, so I guess they could lower a stelvio. Makes more sense to me than lowering a giulia.

yeah, I've hated that hatch look since the espada and indy, and the stelvio roofline is kinda like those dreadful TZ's they used to make.
maybe a hockey stick 4200 would be a better choice.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
there are many who would have prefferred a giulia wagon/estate, so I guess they could lower a stelvio. Makes more sense to me than lowering a giulia.

yeah, I've hated that hatch look since the espada and indy, and the stelvio roofline is kinda like those dreadful TZ's they used to make.
maybe a hockey stick 4200 would be a better choice.

Dreadful TZ's ????????!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,219 Posts

maybe a hockey stick 4200 would be a better choice.[/QU

a TZ dreadful??:surprise::surprise:...your pulling my chain right??.......saw one at the Historics Labor Day Weekend....owner told me to get lost as I was drooling all over the car....lol
I like Tourings just as much as the next guy...unfortunately the public at large has spoken here (US) and they don't sell as they should.....
coolest Estate or as the Brits call them "Shooting Brake" I ever saw was an 1967 Aston Martin DB6 in Roman Purple:grin2:

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
hey, I posted an old video of a TZ going to Monterey, with a cooler in the back - and then running in the historics.
I like em.
volvo 1800 ES sportwagons look great too - and there's that bigger ferrari version with AWD
I suppose it doesn't quite qualify as a shooting brake, but a 50's continental fastback is way bigger than a stelvio, and that is one lovely car - as are the others mentioned, which could benefit from folding back seats but are otherwise all very nice.
of course Sal's(?) new today white quadrifoglio is stunning as well.

but I especially like lump back Alfas:
https://www.google.com/search?q=8c2...yJnWAhVs6YMKHRETB1cQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1097&bih=543

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
280 hp stelvio at the nurburgring.
obviously he knows his way around, but the vehicle is sure capable of going faster than the "typical race track tourist"

he doesn't get on the track til about 3 minutes in

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I'm still waiting on the stelvio quadrifoglio - and hoping the Race mode will disconnect or seriously cut power to the front end. Depending on that, I may end up with a giulia quad, and being the only guy trying to swap to longer springs.

and taking a sawzall to the non-folding back seats ....

or looking for a maser 4200 with stick and a mini pick up

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Stelvio Sightings

Several days ago we were into the dealer for our first Alfa update service.
I was surprised they had so many Stelvio's in stock/in transit. 21 Stevio's
and 26 Giulia sedans.

Tues we were at our Costco next to the Seattle area worldwide headquarters.
They usually have a new vehicle from a local dealer for sale just outside the
front entrance. Low and behold, there was a black on black Stelvio, surprise!
Nice exposure if not a sale for Alfa and the new Stelvio. I'll post a photo soon.

Update
Sorry, no photo. I went by Costco this afternoon and the Stelvio was gone. That was fast!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts