·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
165 Posts
That’s great! I like the use of the lighting turning into design aspects of the vehicle and brand.

·
Registered
1987 Milano Platinum
143 Posts
It's better than that "Type A" ad, although that's an incredibly low bar to clear. Now let's see how broad, deep, and long the campaign is. If this is another two-weeks-and-done thing it'll mean nothing.

If you're gonna play with the big boys you have to accept table stakes. In 2019, BMW spent $300m in U.S. advertising; Daimler spent $640m -- 2/3 of a billion dollars in one country in one year, just to get Americans to buy their cars. As a mass-market comparison, Toyota spent [get ready] $1.5 billion. (statista.com)

Does FCA have the cojones to spend what they need to spend? And for the length of time they'll need to spend it?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It's nice, but that's not how I would ever drive the car. The problem I have with these types of ads (which other companies do where they're blasting through desert landscapes or some other such non-customer use environment), is that they don't show the car in a favorable light where the customer would actually use it, or the way they would use it. This ad doesn't make me want to buy the car, or even look at one. I get it that they want to show the performance, but they need to do it in a way that the customer can connect to and identify with.

As an example, show a daily commute where everything is in black and white; shades of gray. The camera is stationary, watching cars go by. Suddenly a beautiful red Giulia enters the scene and it's the only object in color. The scene shifts into slow motion as the camera pans, following the Giulia as it goes by. Appeal to the desire to not look plain and boring, like everything else on the road. Do something enticing.

Show customers in a car driving; everything is in black and white. They have a very dull and bored look on their face. You're looking at them through the windshield from the front of the car, when suddenly you see them react, mouths open as they both look to their left (camera view's right). The camera pans to the right to see what caused their reaction, and there's an Alfa dealer with beautiful, shiny cars in full color on the lot. Scene shifts into slow motion as they are driving by. Then it goes back into regular motion, and you see the two looking at each other. The driver turns around and goes back to the Alfa dealer and pulls in.

There are many ways they can appeal to the customer's desires; instead of marketing agencies who want to spend big money doing fancy special effects shots that have absolutely nothing to do with anything the customer would actually do. They have to be very creative and memorable with their ads, because they don't have the sales volume to justify a massively expensive marketing campaign like the competition does.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
282 Posts
I think they had success with the ice dancing one so they did a similar thing here.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think they had success with the ice dancing one so they did a similar thing here.
To me, it shows lack of creativity on the part of Alfa Romeo to simply do a variation of the original "ice dance" from a few years ago. Maybe it's great for Alfa fans but how does this sell more cars to the average family (if selling cars to the average family & others unfamiliar with the brand is of any interest)? What's the point of any ad if not to sell more of what someone is peddling?

I always thought that car ads with people (or dogs) in them is more effective. Have a theme like ----
Don't Just Get There....Have Fun Getting There

but that's me.

Reactions: alfapride

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's nice, but that's not how I would ever drive the car. The problem I have with these types of ads (which other companies do where they're blasting through desert landscapes or some other such non-customer use environment), is that they don't show the car in a favorable light where the customer would actually use it, or the way they would use it. This ad doesn't make me want to buy the car, or even look at one. I get it that they want to show the performance, but they need to do it in a way that the customer can connect to and identify with.

As an example, show a daily commute where everything is in black and white; shades of gray. The camera is stationary, watching cars go by. Suddenly a beautiful red Giulia enters the scene and it's the only object in color. The scene shifts into slow motion as the camera pans, following the Giulia as it goes by. Appeal to the desire to not look plain and boring, like everything else on the road. Do something enticing.

Show customers in a car driving; everything is in black and white. They have a very dull and bored look on their face. You're looking at them through the windshield from the front of the car, when suddenly you see them react, mouths open as they both look to their left (camera view's right). The camera pans to the right to see what caused their reaction, and there's an Alfa dealer with beautiful, shiny cars in full color on the lot. Scene shifts into slow motion as they are driving by. Then it goes back into regular motion, and you see the two looking at each other. The driver turns around and goes back to the Alfa dealer and pulls in.

There are many ways they can appeal to the customer's desires; instead of marketing agencies who want to spend big money doing fancy special effects shots that have absolutely nothing to do with anything the customer would actually do. They have to be very creative and memorable with their ads, because they don't have the sales volume to justify a massively expensive marketing campaign like the competition does.
Good thoughts. I doubt AlfaCares is monitoring this site to harvest them.

The Giulia sold itself to me. Conquest customers are challenging. I doubt FCA will dedicate the amount of money you mentioned towards what to it is a low-volume brand. That speaks to any efforts being well-targeted. Gotta be backed up with reasonable deals, otherwise customers will walk into dealerships and walk, rather than drive, out.

How about Ralph driving his GTA on a track and then hoping in a Guilia to drive home? What else would do?

·
Registered
1987 Milano Platinum
143 Posts
In my estimation, what AR should have done from the beginning (and I thought this at the time I was watching that miserable "Dear Ordinary" commercial) is have a long-term structured campaign that does these things in this order:
1. Explain what Alfa Romeo is and what their key attributes and brand positioning are
Once you've done that:
2. Use quotes/images/clips from historical figures up to YouTubers, all rhapsodizing about AR, to generate FOMO
Once you've done that:
3. Show "this is what it's like to own/drive/use an AR" and "this is how you'll feel driving an AR"

Once that's been accomplished, AR has a foundation to proceed to an endless campaign of:
4. Some reinforcement of (1+2+3) along with some product-focused ads for new models, new trims, new MY, etc. Even product ads should reflect the themes, styles and messages of (1+2+3).

Any average schmo can recite BMW's slogan and brand values because the company is relentless and focused and consistent in delivering its message. For AR to really succeed, they should have the same goal.

I have ideas for creative, but writing everything out here is out of scope 🙄

(the dealer network is a whole other encyclopedia-length topic)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts