Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!

A couple of weeks ago I gave up my old BMW for a shiny new 2020 Giulia Quadrifoglio! Car drives great (havent been pushing past 4k RPM until the engine break in mileage hits), however I noticed that in the temperature display on the infotainment system, the gearbox temperature section reaches "Hot" within 10 mins of driving. Engine and breaks are on normal.

Is this something I should be worrying about? Car only has 460 miles

Here is an example:

Outside temp: 75f
Miles driven: about 5
Max speed of this trip: 45mph
Trip time: about 8 minutes
DNA Setting: N
Transmission: set to auto

No warning lights (either orange or red on the dash) but the transmission went from normal to hot:

Thanks for the replies everyone

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there,
According to the manual this applies only to QVs and it’s under the performance section. From there you should press on Temperatures. It will give you a graphic of the car with engine, gearbox and break temps

Do you have something like that by any chance?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
hey thanks for the reply! What is a squadra dongle? And does your car also show the gearbox being hot after 10 mins of running?
The dongle is an aftermarket device that has multiple functions. One function is multiple car temps. Yes it heats up quick. Not sure about exact times as I’m usually driving hard and enjoying my car versus checking every gauge all the time but sure. 10-15-20 mins. It’s gonna be over 150 pretty quickly

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
524 Posts
Mine does the same thing, as does another person on the forum. I told the dealer it was an issue last time I was there. They said they "reset it" but it still does it. Its illogical that it would get that hot that quickly even driving slow, so I just assume its a software bug and have ignored it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine does the same thing, as does another person on the forum. I told the dealer it was an issue last time I was there. They said they "reset it" but it still does it. Its illogical that it would get that hot that quickly even driving slow, so I just assume its a software bug and have ignored it.
Thank you, thats reassuring to hear!

The car doesnt enter limp mode and no dash lights come on related to gearbox temps either so I guess I should just forget about it and enjoy the drive - I will probably mention it to the dealer as well just in case

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thank you, thats reassuring to hear!

The car doesnt enter limp mode and no dash lights come on related to gearbox temps either so I guess I should just forget about it and enjoy the drive - I will probably mention it to the dealer as well just in case
Whenever it goes back in for something else I'll mention it again to be fixed. But not worth the hassle of leaving the car there, IMO.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
5,920 Posts
Hello everyone!

A couple of weeks ago I gave up my old BMW for a shiny new 2020 Giulia Quadrifoglio! Car drives great (havent been pushing past 4k RPM until the engine break in mileage hits), however I noticed that in the temperature display on the infotainment system, the gearbox temperature section reaches "Hot" within 10 mins of driving. Engine and breaks are on normal.

Is this something I should be worrying about? Car only has 460 miles

Here is an example:

Outside temp: 75f
Miles driven: about 5
Max speed of this trip: 45mph
Trip time: about 8 minutes
DNA Setting: N
Transmission: set to auto

No warning lights (either orange or red on the dash) but the transmission went from normal to hot:

View attachment 109487

Thanks for the replies everyone
I have an '28 QV, and don't have too my knowledge any information on gearbox temps. Oil temp only. Something new? NV

That's so cool! My 18 doesn't have that either. I think it's new for 20+

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Updating this:

I took the car to an Alfa Romeo technician and he confirmed that everything is fine, gearbox is well within operating temps at all times. It turns out that this temperature feature under the performance section is just there for fun and extremely useless, mostly intended to give drivers a more race car like user experience on the infotainment!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
When I took a test drive two years ago in my '18 QV, and pulled out of the dealer's lot the salesman asked why I hadn't put it in Race. I said "...it's not my car.." He then told me every body else did that. It had it think 118 miles on it, likely run hard. But now with 23K on it, uses not a drop of oil, and runs like gangbusters. So maybe babying a Quad is not the best way to ease into ownership. By the way, with a Forza exhaust controller, I run with my exhausts open all the time, so don't need to flip to R just to sound off. I virtually never drive in R, as I have seen far too many video's of powerful cars accelerating and spinning out. I want a measure of safety when I use the right pedal, which I do a lot. My mantra is. "..life is short, tires are cheap."

NV

·
Registered
2020 Giulia QV
135 Posts
Slight necro, but I recently purchased a 2020 QV and noticed the same thing. The trans and diff temp always read hot in the display. On a whim, I tried going into the settings of the infotainment and changed the temp units from US to metric, then went back to the temp screen. Sure enough, the trans and diff temp were normal. I changed the units back to US, and the display showed hot again. Changed it back and forth a few more time, same behavior.

Please feel free to try it yourself. Right now, I suspect the temp readout (at least for the transmission) consumes whatever units the car is configured to display in, but the color thresholds don't understand the difference between Fahrenheit and Celsius. So while it may be running at ~170* F, the display thinks it is melting. This seems to be only for that display, so not something to really worry about.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Slight necro, but I recently purchased a 2020 QV and noticed the same thing. The trans and diff temp always read hot in the display. On a whim, I tried going into the settings of the infotainment and changed the temp units from US to metric, then went back to the temp screen. Sure enough, the trans and diff temp were normal. I changed the units back to US, and the display showed hot again. Changed it back and forth a few more time, same behavior.

Please feel free to try it yourself. Right now, I suspect the temp readout (at least for the transmission) consumes whatever units the car is configured to display in, but the color thresholds don't understand the difference between Fahrenheit and Celsius. So while it may be running at ~170* F, the display thinks it is melting. This seems to be only for that display, so not something to really worry about.

You should email that to Alfa Care maybe they will fix it.

Reactions: Scoobs McGee
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.