Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, sorry if this has already been answered, I looked but couldn't find the answer. So please feel free to link where it was answered.

So I'm new to cars/car tires, as I've really only ever had trucks before now. When I bought my Giulia I didn't know it was staggered with the 225/40/r19 fronts and 255/35/r19 rears. I also didn't know the tires are summers. So since it will be getting into freezing temps soon I'm looking at replacing them with some all seasons. I really don't feel like having to deal with swapping summer/winter tires 2x a yr. Basically my question is do I need to stay staggered or can I put one size on all 4? I really don't know how the tire/wheel sizes play into this. I don't want to end up with a tire that's to narrow for the rears or to wide for the front. If I'm able to is there a preferred size?

Again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Good question. Absolutely no issues going square on 4 corners, The idea here is to keep the same rotaionnal % as your summer set up.You can even do a minus 1 on size , witch is less expensive also. 225/45/18 is the perfect fit. I run on QV specs in summer time and on 18's during winter.
You can browse on this site for your information https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sele...o&autoModel=Giulia&autoYear=2020&autoModClar=

Cheers

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
My recommendation is All Season tires in current OEM size staggered configuration. Staggered configuration is a plus in terms of both looks and grip so, I do not recommend to lose that. Just buy some either Michelin or Continental A/S tires in current OEM sizes (staggered) and enjoy the look. Unfortunately, you will lose the ability to rotate the tires but, both the looks and the grip will offset that lost, IMHO. You can also sell your current tires for cheap if they are better than 6/32's

·
Registered
2020 Giulia QV
61 Posts
If you're not also replacing the wheels, then stick to the OEM tire sizes. Not just the tire, but the rear wheels are 1" wider than the front wheels. You can get the same size tire to fit on all four corners, but the rear dimensions will be off and the tire will be stretched. Some people like that, others don't. If you do plan to buy new wheels that are all the same width, then you can run a square setup without compromising performance or appearance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
First off, sorry if this has already been answered, I looked but couldn't find the answer. So please feel free to link where it was answered.

So I'm new to cars/car tires, as I've really only ever had trucks before now. When I bought my Giulia I didn't know it was staggered with the 225/40/r19 fronts and 255/35/r19 rears. I also didn't know the tires are summers. So since it will be getting into freezing temps soon I'm looking at replacing them with some all seasons. I really don't feel like having to deal with swapping summer/winter tires 2x a yr. Basically my question is do I need to stay staggered or can I put one size on all 4? I really don't know how the tire/wheel sizes play into this. I don't want to end up with a tire that's to narrow for the rears or to wide for the front. If I'm able to is there a preferred size?

225/40 to a 255/35 is not really staggered. They are pretty close in height. Staggered would be more pronounced like a 20" wheel in the rear and a 19" up front. Not sure if the TI Sport has the same width rims all the way around or not. But a square 255/35 setup all the way around should be a problem.

·
Registered
515 Posts

Yes, I just ordered the staggered rims and summer tires for my 2022. The dealer was adamant to make sure I understood about summer tires (Lol, yes, I put winter tires on all of my cars).

I realize it is easier to just use all-season tires but they are mediocre in all situations. Use the summers on the stock rims and then swap to winter tires in a smaller size (17x8 or 18x8) on all four.

I plan to get 17x8 rims and winter tires and you get more snow than I do in NY.

Now, if you still want to make your life easy and have all-seasons, you can go to TireRack.com, search for tires based on your car (they know about the staggered fitment for your car) and then change the Category to Touring or Performance All-Seasons. Just make sure the tire also has decent snow rating. They will show you the exact tires available, in the right size (staggered) for your stock rims. You will still have different sized tires as the rims are different width also. If you want square tires (same specs on all tires) on different width rims you will have to do some research, but I don't know why you would want that (besides being able to rotate).

That is another thing, you cannot rotate your stock tires front/rear. You can only swap side to side (rear right to rear left, front right to front left). The 255s don't go on the front rims, etc.

225/40 to a 255/35 is not really staggered. They are pretty close in height. Staggered would be more pronounced like a 20" wheel in the rear and a 19" up front. Not sure if the TI Sport has the same width rims all the way around or not. But a square 255/35 setup all the way around should be a problem.
They are staggered by width: 225s on 19x8 and 255s on 19x9 (front:rear). 255 may not fit the front rims, suspension components or wheel well.

Reactions: AlfaRocket

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,457 Posts
If you're not also replacing the wheels, then stick to the OEM tire sizes. Not just the tire, but the rear wheels are 1" wider than the front wheels. You can get the same size tire to fit on all four corners, but the rear dimensions will be off and the tire will be stretched. Some people like that, others don't. If you do plan to buy new wheels that are all the same width, then you can run a square setup without compromising performance or appearance.
This is the correct answer.

If you want square you should run the same rim width front and rear.

Afa makes a staggered set of 5 hole wheels (8"/9") and a square set (8"). They made several other square sets of wheels as well. Youd likely have no issue trading your staggered set for other people's square sets.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The 225/40 in front and 255/35 in back is sold in the Alfa Romeo configurator as a staggered configuration option, although the diameter of the wheels and the tires is the same. The difference is in the width (tires and wheels) and the wall of the tires. So, I assume it is staggered on the width. The wheels in the 2.0L Ti Sport staggered are 8x19 in front at 9x19 in the back. You cannot put 255's on 8" wheels.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. Definitely got some good information and advise. I'm going to stay staggered as I can't afford tires and wheels. Plus I really do like the look, even if its not super noticeable. If I can find winter tires in the stock sizes for a decent price I think I'll go that route, as I'd like to keep the summers since they only have about 5k miles on them.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,308 Posts
My recommendation is All Season tires in current OEM size staggered configuration. Staggered configuration is a plus in terms of both looks and grip so, I do not recommend to lose that. Just buy some either Michelin or Continental A/S tires in current OEM sizes (staggered) and enjoy the look. Unfortunately, you will lose the ability to rotate the tires but, both the looks and the grip will offset that lost, IMHO. You can also sell your current tires for cheap if they are better than 6/32's
For winter you want a narrower tire, if you're seeing ice and snow.

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Giulia Ti Sport Q4
286 Posts
I live in MN, and have the staggered set up on my Alfa Q4. I use all season tires myself, because summers make driving to work on days in the fall and spring difficult when it’s still below 40 in the AM. I have a different car for most winter driving, but, I do use the Alfa from time-to-time. I run the below tires on both my Alfa and Challenger. They have worked well for me. Heavy snow or ice and you want a true winter tire for sure.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I decided to just go with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus in the OEM sizes. Hopefully they will go on this weekend or next week at the latest. Still debating on if I want to deal with swapping the current summers back on next summer. Again thanks for the advise and options everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts