Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bmw 335xi was in an accident and I have been test driving cars to decide. BMW, Audi S4, Jag XE, and the Giulia. The internet has such terrible reliability info but here seems most are pleased. What made you pick the Giulia?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Giulia because it’s Alfa Romeo.

Also looks great, drives great, and is uncommon.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The road less traveled.

Be courageous. Be different.

And put a smile on your face.

Get a Giulia with as many features as you can. You will be paid back.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Alfa Romeo is a brand from my childhood (I'm 41) that makes me reminisce. It's an exotic brand that elicits emotions and stirs the imagination.

When I was car shopping for BMW Lexus Benz Jag etc, one friend told me to check out Alfa. I was like "no way" too hardcore, can't afford. Then I looked at it and was like "wtf I can own an Alfa!?"

Same reaction from everyone who knows what an alfa is. One by one my friends say "wtf an alfa!?" Then they stare in awe, obviously feeling what I felt.

It's a great choice. At work I park next to 2 Benzes and just looking at them bores my eyes.

The good news is that you're in a range of cars where every pick is great. My second choice was a Jag btw, probably for similar reasons.

Attachments

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
801 Posts
My choice was based on “coming to the end of the petrol driving scene” - I wanted something I would remember when my living room rolls up and autonomously drives me to the office.

In this order:

One) the driving experience.
Two) the value.
Three) the marque and the allure.

An Alfa Romeo is not for every driver. If someone offered you a four door Ferrari with a price point that starts in the Audi basement and doesn’t go above $85,000, how could you pass it up? Ask the BMW Audi or Mercedes dealer how many Alfas they’ve taken in on trade.

Thus far, my car has been as reliable as my Volkswagen Jetta.

Come join us. I doubt you’ll regret it,

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would be a good test for you. I had a 2012 and a 2014 S4. Solid car, great design, very strong drive train. More sport than luxury. I had been driving Audi for many years and liked that brand alot. The S4 became cery common in Los Angeles. I had a few experiences where the S4 left me stranded in a bad way. Car was famous for bad thermostat and sure enough mine went bad at the worst time. I had the ECU tuned and the car was fast... lots of torque. I lost that car in an accident that was not my fault. Good settlement from the other insurance company. At that time the new B9 was not available so i needed something else. I also felt the B9 started to lose its design edge and was $60k plus.

I happened by a Jaguar dealership down the street from my office and they where rolling a 2017 Jag XER Sport of the truck. Very elegant car. More luxury than sport. Drove nice, very handsome. Ok drive train. I also had a ECU tune on the Jag. Very fast. Somewhere around 400 hp. I liked that car but i did not love it. The Jag was also lost in an accident that was not my fault. I decided not to go for another Jag. The XER Sport was no longer available with with the 3.0 liter with a supercharger. The Jag was about $55k

I had seen the Giulia a few years ago at the LA auto show and had seen a few press shots. Love at first sight. The timing worked well as i found a 2017 Giulia Ti Sport that was just what i was looking for. Uniquely Italian, great drive train, beautiful and really fun to drive. Truly a sport sedan. Every single day i get comments about how beautiful the car is. “Is it as fun to drive as it looks”? With a tune and a replacement air filter the Giulia at 340 hp and 3500 lbs is very quick. It is more fun to drive than the other cars because they where two fast to drive around town. I an now a huge AR fan. Go Giulia. My car was stickered at about $50k. An amazing car for the money. This is the most fun car i have owned. I really enjoy driving and looking at it.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
658 Posts
What made you pick the Giulia?
The test drive was what sold me. It was simply a lot more engaging and fun than anything else I tried. It’s the drivers car that BMW have decided they no longer want to make.

The clean dash design was a plus as was controls that allow most things to be adjusted by touch without taking my eyes off the road.

I think it’s a great looking car and now that there are a few more on the road seeing other ones in motion just confirms how eye catching they are.

Wish you all the best finding a replacement that really works for you.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I test drove the cars you mentioned and they are boring to drive. The Alfa is a real sports sedan. I traded in a 1 year old Lexus RC for the Giulia.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've had mine almost a year, it has 11,700 miles on it. I've always wanted an Alfa, when I drove the QV, the power ansd steering and overall balance convinced me. It's also nice having a car that you don't see 5 of every day .......Mine has been trouble-free, I haven't regretted it a single day ....

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'd go with the Giulia or the Jag. There were my final two and are comparable (if you look at the XE R-Sport). The Giulia has a nicer interior, IMO, feels bigger inside, and drives even better.

You have all good choices. I'd go with the Giulia. That said, if you do not have a Giulia dealer nearby, might be better to go w/ the Jag or BMW (try to get a M design as it has a Sport + mode). Giulia reliability is still spotty.

·
Registered
647 Posts
My Bmw 335xi was in an accident and I have been test driving cars to decide. BMW, Audi S4, Jag XE, and the Giulia. The internet has such terrible reliability info but here seems most are pleased. What made you pick the Giulia?
I was going into the Costco parking lot recently and saw many BMW's, a handful of Audi S4's and several Jag XE's, all sitting alone by themselves. When I came back out from shopping there was a crowd of about 8 folks around my Giulia. They all had drool sliding down their chins. 2 were former AR owner's, one from Europe, 3 who had seen the Super Bowl Dear Predictable Ad last year and some who wanted to know what brand and model it was. They were simply mesmerized by her beauty.

She is the finest sports sedan (aka saloon) I have ever laid my horny hands and eyes on. There were a couple minor glitches that the dealer fixed on this 2/17 build and she drives like a Swiss watch since then, for 9 months now. Recently, a British car magazine reviewer described the Giulia as a 4 Door Ferrari. She receives more stares, photos, gawks, thumbs up and young chicks begging for a ride than I can count on 1000 hands! They are starting to call me an Alfa fan-boy.

Chuck :D

PS: Below is a teaser photo. Be sure to not get in the color Red unless your heart is in excellent shape!

PS2: C&D says: Giulia has become the new standard for a driver’s sedan in the category..... the Jaguar feels cruder than the Alfa; it drives much bigger and requires more of its driver, while the Giulia is simply more precise...... the turbocharged Giulia is more akin to a sports car...... XE noise issue led us to visit the dealership three times. Be careful, the newest 2018 Giulia's seem to be very trouble free.

Attachments

Reactions: Tyresian
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.