Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, long-time lurker. I finally graduated from college and got a decent starter job and wanted to purchase my first car. I have been in love with the Alfa Romeo Giulia since it has released, and a 2019 used Alfa Romeo Giulia with all the bells and whistles is available at a dealership. I really want to get the price as low as I can get it, but the problem is I really want this car. You know how they warn you to never go to the supermarket when you are hungry, well I am really hungry for this car. I don't want the hungry eyes while they egg me one to buy it full price.

The car has been on there lot for almost 5 months, and right now, on the internet, they are asking $32,500, and it has 19,000miles. I was hoping that meant that there are no takers in this area, and I can snag a great deal.

I have around 25k cash that I have been saving for a car, if it was possible, I would not take a loan, but this car has everything I would want if I purchased it new. Any tips for trying to get the price lower, or how small I could really get it.

Thanks in advance

· Registered
5,868 Posts
Suggest you also look at 2018s. I’m sure you can find one with same, or less miles, and it’s the same car. Don’t just look local, widen your search scope.

· Registered
597 Posts
I'd at least wait for your 90 day review to be up if it isn't already ;)
those bells and whistles really add up, are you sure need "all" of them? I'm sure you could find one with fewer options and miles for 10k+ less. The most important options are the gas pedal and steering wheel, fortunately all the trim models come standard with them

· Registered
4,428 Posts
In theory, a car's value decreases around 20% to 30% by the end of the first year. From years two to six, depreciation ranges from 15% to 18% per year. So, $56.5K x 75% = $42.4K and if you add another 17%, for another year, it would be $35.2. So that $32.5K with 19K miles sounds decent. We know that that care was not sold at $56.5K to the first owner but probably at $48-49K so, in practicality right now it would be at $31-33K for you now. You may negotiate a $1-$2K discount, if you ask. And White with Red interior is a winner !!!!!

· Registered
416 Posts
Any tips for trying to get the price lower
"ask". It's rare for the "posted price" to be the lowest they're willing to go. Offer what you're comfortable with. Worst case, they say no. Best case, they say yes.

Now based on being recently out of college (congratulations, by the way) - I'd also look into what your insurance will be. Then make sure you can afford both it and the payment on the car. Nothing worse than being car poor.

· Registered
2018 Giulia Q4
934 Posts
Using on-line pricing tools and with all of the options that are on that car, it does show approximately that value. However, if it has been on the lot for a while, I think you can go in with a cash offer a bit below what they are asking and give it a try. They might be willing to move a bit. Nothing to lose by trying at least!! I have bought a 2018 TI Sport with almost the same options. It has been a fun and very reliable car :D

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will take a long pause to make sure I am of clear head before I even go for a test drive. I rather not take any kind of significant loan right now, so I will keep looking around to see if there are any 2018 models around that could satisfy me.

· Registered
2,255 Posts
It pains me to write this!
My rational suggestion, don't. This is a rapidly depreciating asset with a mixed bag of fortune cookies. This is not a $ safe first car.

PS: My car has been flawless, more or less. And many if not most members here have had a flawless or nearly so car. This is truly one of the best cars you can buy for the money you put in, except, if it was your first car. If your are under 25 and making less than $100K/year, don't go here. Insurance costs, and potential other issues that often crop up in pre-owned vehicles may make this a very dour experience. It is not an accident that Honda & Toyota eat the cake on most starter vehicles.

Again, I'm sorry to be the one who suggests this, but that's the advice I'd give either of my daughters.

I have around 25k cash that I have been saving for a car, if it was possible, I would not take a loan, but this car has everything I would want if I purchased it new. Any tips for trying to get the price lower, or how small I could really get it.

View attachment 96192

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.