Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to this forum and need some advise, (My wife's 2 week old Giulia Ti)The day she picked up her vehicle (off showroom floor) dealership was explaining all the features while sitting in parking lot, vehicle front parking sensor kept going off, over riding what ever was on the screen, there was nothing close to the front of her car, it happened when running and with accessory. We left with her new Giulia. while driving and in stop go traffic (having gone over the 9 mph) the sensor constantly went off while behind vehicles. Returned to dealer, next day they picked it up had it for 3 days, said only had it happen once and couldn' t find reason or problem.

Since then problem continues, behind traffic, even pulled over side road, let vehicles pass on left and on coming traffic sets it off, even when pulled to curb no traffic. Took back to dealer yesterday, Tech said normal for sensor to come on behind stopped traffic and on coming vehicles, then he got in auto with me, went to middle of parking lot, sensor started going off, he said Oh that's not right, Vehicle goes to service on Monday, how ever, tech said has no clue what the problem is.
My one question to forum members, does the sensor go off when you stop behind traffic at say a traffic light,after going over the 9mph. I apologize for the long post.
Thank You

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hmm sounds like another gremlin. I wonder, is the system infra red? Maybe sun and heat are causing problems or soaking the system causing malfunctions. But I think it's microwave or radar, right?

·
Registered
658 Posts
hopefully the car systems are producing an error code that helps with diagnostics. The somewhat random behavior sounds a bit like either the sensor or the wiring to it is loose / intermittent more than software bug to me. But hope the dealer can come up with a permanent fix for you quickly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for reply, I never had a vehicle with front sensors, but don't see why it would go off in traffic, the tech said to go into safety settings and forward collision warning and set for either near,med or far and adjust, from what I read in manual this has nothing to do with park sensor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Alan, on first trip to dealer, claim they ran computer check and sensors and even requested information from Alfa techs. No known problems, The techs insist that they should go off after driving and getting close behind stopped traffic, but shouldn t be going off when sitting in parking lot

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are you following cars that close in traffic that's it's going off? I've never had it go of while in traffic but then again I'm not tailing cars either.

You can turn off the function via the button next to your headlight switch.

HTH.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No not following too close, when in traffic and after hitting the 9 mph, and stopping for say traffic light
with cars in front of me the sensor goes off and continues beeping. The service tech is trying to convince me that this is the normal function of the sensors, as I stated in post it went off under the different scenarios, stopped side of road way with traffic passing, etc. What you are saying is your vehicle has the front and rear sensors and the front never go off in stop and go traffic, as I assume mine
should not be going off and I am aware of the turn off switch, trying to convince service tech they should not go off normal driving.
I appreciate your response, Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry for my bad english... but...:grin2:
What about a broken/bad reverse switch for reverselights? It might activate parkingsensor system random.
When you leave reverse, put in neutral to drive the system disconnect the rear sensors and front sensors disconnects at above 15 km/h. According my manual.
I dont know if its equipped with "an oldtimer, manual switch" for reverse-lights or the gearboxcomputer will fix it.0:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
The forward collision warning is a different system, not using the front sensors.
It has a camera behind your rear wiew mirror and a radar in the front to check the front area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/289-alfa-romeo-giulia-general-discussion/9914-need-

The forward collision warning is a different system, not using the front sensors.
It has a camera behind your rear wiew mirror and a radar in the front to check the front area.
Chramon, I agree and this was my argument when Tech said to change the setting in the FCW from near to far, it didn't seem to convince him, however he did finally acknowledge there is a problem and car will be going back this week, will keep posted,Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have a two week old Giulia Ti and have the identical problem. I'd love to hear what your tech's solution is so I can pass it along to mine. I've just been disabling the parking assist to keep it from honking at me all the time.

Today, I enabled it after 20 minutes of driving, and it seemed to be working properly... Interesting.

RL-1, please keep this post going as I'm sure others are having the same issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had Giulia back for a few days from dealer service, after 3 days of testing and checking the front sensors and electrical, they determined that the factory front
license plate bracket was the wrong size and setting off the front sensors, claim they tested it with the license plate bracket removed and no false signal from sensors. Stated that they found that the factory was shipping two different size plate brackets, used a smaller one from another Giulia and problems resolved.
Ive driven it a couple of times and so far its working as it should. I hope this helps any one else having that problem. RL-1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts