Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes this is off topic, but y'all seem like a well connected bunch, so if it is alright with the moderators I would like to request some assistance with a 1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 Spider Veloce repair.

The fuel pump ingested some bad gas, thus it no longer functions. I am attempting to keep the car as original as possible so I would prefer to have the pump rebuilt rather than use the current replacements sold. I have the instructions on how to do this from the 70s. Does anyone know someone who does this sort of work?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. The US cars from that period used an electrical fuel pump as they were built with a mechanical fuel injection system. The fuel pump I am looking for looks like this:

If I cannot find one, then I need to find someone to rebuild the one I have.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
https://www.centerlinealfa.com/catalog/fuel-pump-bosch-replacement

Does this work?

If not, here's one from a British site, same pump, I think:

https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/105-series/fuel-and-carburettor/s4-fuel-pump/

More varied stuff from an Italian site:

http://www.autoepoca.it/brands/alfa-romeo-parts/carb-fuel-alfa-romeo/

Maybe these guys, they list "Fuel pump, primary, injected model 1969-94 except 164: #arFP261 $289.75*exchange":

http://www.italiancarparts.com/parts/alfaparts.html

That's all I found...you've probably seen them all already, but you never know.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yea, I noticed a number of other posts on Alfa boards discussing modern replacement units that will work...what is the brand on the original unit, do you know? I am assuming you want to remain original, if possible. Could you perhaps use the S4 type for drivability and retain the original for rebuild when someone finally surfaces, without a irreversible modification? Also, maybe there is a type that superceeded that type over time?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The goal is to keep the car in the original condition in all respects from parts you can see to those you cannot. To do this I must have the pump I have rebuilt or find another one.

To drive the car I could use the replacement pump everyone sells, but I do not care for the design of that pump. It requires a tight loop in the fuel line since it does not have the 90 degree fitting that the original pump has.

The history of the fuel pumps from the factory is pretty straight forward. The one that came with the car lasted 20,000 miles and then stopped working. The replacement was the one shown above, which in my case lasted for 42 years and about 100,000 miles, only to be stopped by bad gas.

There is a funny now story in relation to the first pumps failure. I read in the Alfa Owner magazine back in 1974 that the pump would fail at 20,000 miles. The article said there was a replacement and so on. I had business in Stephenville one day. Since it was a nice day I decided to take the Alfa and the wife. We were winding our way through the back roads with the top down. I kept thinking I could see the low fuel pressure light blinking. We both started to watch it, and sure enough it was blinking and then began to stay on. I looked at the odometer. It had just rolled over to 20,000 miles. The car made it back to Fort Worth, but on a tow truck.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Now that is Alfa reliability! Quit on schedule.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Thanks for the link. The US cars from that period used an electrical fuel pump as they were built with a mechanical fuel injection system. The fuel pump I am looking for looks like this:

If I cannot find one, then I need to find someone to rebuild the one I have.
Buy the modern replacement pump and loop the hose twice to achieve a smooth bend. An external hose spring can help, if needed. The fuel feed system to the Spica mechanical injection pump is more complicated (yet elegant) than most realize. Many don't realize the second (underhood) fuel filter resides in a housing that regulates the feed pressure to the injection pump with calibrated orifices and a spring loaded valve in the banjo fitting on the return line. For more info about this system, visit www.wesingram.com

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Also, remove the fuel filter BEFORE the pump and cut it open. If there is any sediment or rust in it, remove the tank and have it cleaned and resealed, inside. I have repaired and continue to maintain many of these "older" Spica cars and maintaining the fuel system from the tank to the Spica Injection Pump is critical. While you're at it, when was the last time you changed the small Spica Injection Pump oil filter? Also a good idea is to remove the barometric capsule and dump a quart or two of fresh oil through the pump. How's the thermostatic actuator working? Ah, good times...
Love me a properly tuned Spica car!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree. All has been done as you specified, except I had the Spica pump rebuilt. I just need the fuel pump to complete the system.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Centerline has the standard replacement pump. It is far from the original design.

I have never heard of mr.fiat. I will see what they have.

Thanks
I recently installed a Centerline fuel pump on my car, worked well. Originals aren't available and haven't heard of any being rebuilt.

Perhaps Wes Ingram knows more?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Vicks was a dead end. I see they have not changed. They are still as lazy and sloppy as always. They told me that that they no longer bother with this. Then why leave it on the website. Twits.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Sorry, Chipps. That's all I found for noodling around with various searches...just hoped I could find something. Is there a European Alfa Club you could check with?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts