Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall, how is it?

Do most drivers use it?

I notice in other posts that the traffic does not work?

I know that the system is based on TOMTOM which is good for me because I really like there portable GPS units as I currently have one.

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think it's OK as far as onboard NAV systems go, but like all onboard NAV systems, it is light years behind what our smartphones provide for free. The biggest downfall of the Alfa NAV is the process of inputting addresses using the rotary dial. It is painful, to say the least. Once you get past that, the directions are clear and concise, but I still use my phone's NAV instead. Using Waze or Google Maps is better in absolutely every way other than the smaller screen and the inability of the phone's NAV to mute the car's SiriusXM when issuing a direction. The benefits of real-time traffic updates, speed limit notifications, speed trap warnings, and other perks still far outweigh the benefits of the onboard system in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would much rather have Apple Carplay or Android Auto but it is unfortunate it does not come with 2017 models.

I know that it's coming out on the 2018 models but like most people, I will probably use my cell phone for navigaton.

Android Auto would have been great though!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would much rather have Apple Carplay or Android Auto but it is unfortunate it does not come with 2017 models.

I know that it's coming out on the 2018 models but like most people, I will probably use my cell phone for navigaton.

Android Auto would have been great though!
Have you tried the Android Auto app on your phone? It's supposed to replicate the experience for people that don't have Android Auto built into their cars. I messed with it once about a year ago but haven't tried it lately. It did a good job of putting the most useful functions of the phone (NAV, calls, and music services) in easy reach. I imagine that it's evolved a bit since I last tried it. I'm going to install it again before my next road trip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts