Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Navigation and compass off by more than 120 degrees

Tags
navigation
2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  AlfaRomeoCares 
#1 ·
Could not find this in the forum, apologies in advance if covered somewhere.
A few weeks ago I noticed that my 2017 Giulia nav map was off by about 2 miles. Over the next few weeks the error has added up and now my car shows I’m parked about 35 miles from my home. It is similarly inaccurate throughout all my drives. Took me a while but I just noticed the compass is wrong (GPS derived?). Comparing it to an actual compass it seems to be off by about 120 degrees. I tried a reset to factory settings in the options menu but that had no effect. Ideas?

#4 · (Edited)
the navi system also uses gyro, odometer input and map matching, so if it has a correct starting point, it will be able to approximate your position. GPS is only used for regular updates/checks of position.

The only other thing you could try is disconnecting battery ground for 10~15 minutes, as a general reset.
Upon reconnecting you will need to reset the steering. See manual:
IMPORTANT If the battery was
disconnected, do not start the engine
immediately after reconnecting the
terminals, but press the start button,
without operating the pedals, to turn on
the instrument panel and then start the
engine. The symbol on the instrument
panel will remain on, indicating that the
steering must be initialised. To do this,
turn the steering wheel from one end to
the other and bring it back to the centre
position within 30 seconds from starting
the engine. If any red warning lights on
the instrument panel remain lit, stop the
engine, wait for at least 5 seconds and
repeat the starting procedure described
above.

#6 ·
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
AlfaRomeoCares

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.