Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 500 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, about a month ago I suggested that we start writing letters and email to FCA Executives about the outdated maps with no updates. About two weeks ago, I was contacted by a Senior Executive with FCA who is tasked with responding to the concerns of FCA top level executives. Apparently, my letter about spending $1950 for a Navi system that now has almost 3 year old maps, while Europe gets three years of free map updates every three months, hit a nerve with the company trying to place Alfa in the premium product range.

I had a productive discussion with this executive, who then met with his “brain team” to review my allegations and concerns. After another phone call a couple of days ago to clarify some details, the gentleman called me back today and advised me of the following:

1) FCA US is developing a customer website to support map updates.

2) These map updates will be downloaded by the owner and then installed at home.

3) There is no word on the costs, if any free updates will be given to existing customers, what will be offered to new owners, or such.

4) All Giulia (and Stelvio, I assume) Owners (that’s what was said, perhaps all NAVI owning was the intent?) will be notified of the new site and how to register.

5) This is not expected to take long (no explanation of what that means).

Now, this is encouraging news, and the quick promise suggests adaptation of the European interface/program might be part of this plan. I’m not going to get too excited until something happens, but this is good news for us Navi Owners.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Well, they could copy the EU website, or just add the relevant maps there.....

Thanks for taking up the initiative!!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
AlfaCrisis
I was contacted by a person from Alfa USA headquaters, (responce to letter to Reid Bigland).

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Nice work. I probably will still never used the navigation as long as it's so painful to enter addresses and has to traffic but still...
So to get this level of response you wrote actual letters? LETTERS? so that's what we should do about the non functional touch pad and the missing apple carplay?

·
Registered
240 Posts
My personal thanks AlfaCrisis. Although I have yet to use the vehicles navigation system on either of mine it is the principal of it. My hat is off to you.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all, but the proof is in the pudding....I’m not celebrating until I see that result. Feel free to email questions to FCA about map updates, it can’t hurt!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Many thanks for the initiative. Hoping Canada is included in the rollout, I believe we share the same map packages.

Regardless of the outcome, the effort is appreciated. Cheers!

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Nice work. I probably will still never used the navigation as long as it's so painful to enter addresses and has to traffic but still...
So to get this level of response you wrote actual letters? LETTERS? so that's what we should do about the non functional touch pad and the missing apple carplay?
Entering address by voice is easy and works well. I agree if you had to use the dial and select method it’s painful.

Reactions: Montecarlo

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks for the initiative. Hoping Canada is included in the rollout, I believe we share the same map packages.

Regardless of the outcome, the effort is appreciated. Cheers!
As for the maps, we use USA, Canada and Mexico maps, so you guys should be in with it.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Have you tried the voice control. I find it works brilliantly. I tell it "Navigate to XXX,XX" and it was a little slow but worked perfectly. Just be a little patient as it works out the location which took a couple seconds longer than I expected.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Not to be cynical but I will believe it when I see it. My most recent dealings with FCA have been less than stellar.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not to be cynical but I will believe it when I see it. My most recent dealings with FCA have been less than stellar.
Exactly why I said just that...and, BTW, my experience with voice controlled navigation has been less than stellar too. I’m hopeful because it seems unlikely that I would be mislead just to get me off their case, but money talk and bullshit walks.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Exactly why I said just that...and, BTW, my experience with voice controlled navigation has been less than stellar too. I’m hopeful because it seems unlikely that I would be mislead just to get me off their case, but money talk and bullshit walks.
I agree voice sucks, I wouldn't hold my breath for a updated map, been told for a year one is coming.
I grew up in NYC (Manhattan and Bronx) and everybody says "Money talks and bullshit walks", thanks for reminding me.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I agree voice sucks, I wouldn't hold my breath for a updated map, been told for a year one is coming.
I grew up in NYC (Manhattan and Bronx) and everybody says "Money talks and bullshit walks", thanks for reminding me.
Must be your accent, I can give it a complete postal address in normal speech cadence and it works perfectly. Takes it a while to digest and process, but accuracy is great.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You're lucky. If you live in Australia, and you erroneously got upgraded to .055 infotainment update, then your expensive voice nav would cease to work, and you would be unable to downgrade. Your only option would be to upgrade to a new head unit and update the software, and start the argument with FCA Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
You're lucky. If you live in Australia, and you erroneously got upgraded to .055 infotainment update, then your expensive voice nav would cease to work, and you would be unable to downgrade. Your only option would be to upgrade to a new head unit and update the software, and start the argument with FCA Australia.

I am pretty sure that happened to me, not sure if they updated my early 17 to .055 or .059 first but maps disappeared and could not be installed again....they replaced head unit with new hardware and installed software 81.000.004 with no questions asked under warranty....

·
Premium Member
710 Posts

I am pretty sure that happened to me, not sure if they updated my early 17 to .055 or .059 first but maps disappeared and could not be installed again....they replaced head unit with new hardware and installed software 81.000.004 with no questions asked under warranty....
Does that mean you have carplay now?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

Does that mean you have carplay now?
Carplay would require different hub as well and potentially some other things....candidly I never even tried but seriously doubt it has carplay... will try tomorrow however just for fun

1 - 20 of 500 Posts