Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone who is unhappy with the Nav please call Alfa care, if they hear alot of complaints maybe they will do something about it. I just called ( they stated it's not TomTom).

·
Registered
869 Posts
If they truly are monitoring this forum, as indicated by the AlfaCares team, then they know. We have like 5 threads on this topic - I think I started 2. hahaha

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'd like the Nav to be able to speak each exit or turn that needs to be taken. Not just sometimes, but every time it should specifically give the exact exit to take or what street to make a left or right turn.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mine will pronounce the street name - sometimes. I am hoping that some of the missing features will be there when I pick up the car later I am holding my tongue until then.

What I find funny though is that Alfa and M&M didn't design the nav software, it's TomTom. Why did they remove features from it that TomTom software has already? All M&M and Alfa needed to do was spec hardware that could support the native TomTom architecture. My 2008 Subaru running Denso's nav had more features than this. While I have never liked Denso's aesthetic I do like their features.

I will always miss the Denso feature of navigate back to your previous start. Sometimes you drive somewhere, get lost, and then use the nav. Maybe you need to get back to that same spot again but since you were lost you have no idea where it was...the nav should though!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Although not the same software as UConnect, it IS TomTom.
Here's a press release:
http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=931512
That's what I told the rep,.I then asked who made the Nav and she said ask the dealer's service dept.

The routing takes you off main streets to side streets and then back onto main the same street you were on. POI's are useless, haven't been able to find any that I asked it to. I think it was better on the old software.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
As someone who works in IT I believe that a navigator made by a car manufacturer will never be at the same level of dedicated apps such as Google maps, Apple maps, Waze, etc.
I'd much rather have them spend the effort in enabling Carplay so I can put my phone's Google navigator on the screen.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Remember that in some cases the map manufacturer offsets the cost of the hardware. This way they can have a captive audience for their actual money stream, map updates. Always remember the business drivers are as important as good engineering.

·
Registered
646 Posts
UConnect is pretty good. Not flashy like BMW, but works well, graphics are basic but clear. Very utilitarian and functional. Live traffic was so-so.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have about a 5 year old TomTom unit hanging on the dash in my truck with free lifetime map updates 4 times a year. Works great and is not in anyway like the software in the Giulia (even has voice commands).

·
Registered
178 Posts
UConnect is pretty good. Not flashy like BMW, but works well, graphics are basic but clear. Very utilitarian and functional. Live traffic was so-so.

The UConnect on my Pacifica is awesome! I do wish it was the same system in the Giulia.

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,435 Posts
The UConnect on my Pacifica is awesome! I do wish it was the same system in the Giulia.
I'm hoping the van we rent to take our son to college is a Pacifica. The Caravan we had last year did the job. I think the Pacifica will do it better.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm hoping the van we rent to take our son to college is a Pacifica. The Caravan we had last year did the job. I think the Pacifica will do it better.
Off topic for this thread - but as a minivan lover and expert - the new Pacifica is the best of the vans out there and I have owned 4 vans since 2005. I am in love with my Pacifica and I hope to be in love with my Giulia in the morning!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,435 Posts
Off topic for this thread - but as a minivan lover and expert - the new Pacifica is the best of the vans out there and I have owned 4 vans since 2005. I am in love with my Pacifica and I hope to be in love with my Giulia in the morning!
A good pair of vehicles to have, IMO. I thought the same thing a bunch of years ago when I had a Ford Escape and a Miata.

·
Registered
178 Posts
A good pair of vehicles to have, IMO. I thought the same thing a bunch of years ago when I had a Ford Escape and a Miata.
Thank you - the Pacifica equals ultimate function and comfort for the the family, and the Giulia equals ultimate sporty fun (at least for me).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts