Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two options for 8.8in upgraded display screens on the Alfa USA Build Configurator -one is listed as $1900 and "includes Serius XM, the other is a $500 option, with no mention of Serius. Both have Bluetooth and appear (at least on the website) to have Navigation, but that price difference makes me wonder. Is the 8.8 display available without Nav? Are there different levels of that feature that might explain the cost difference? I ordered the lesser option and I was told it included Navigation, but now I'm not so sure. I'd like to have the integrated system, certainly, however I would not really have a problem using my phone apps, especially if we are provided better integration with the anticipated system upgrades. I'm awaiting delivery of a base Giulia, anyone who is already up and running with Nav able to clear this up for me?

Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
420 Posts
As listed on the window sticker I have this option:

8.8-Inch AM / FM / HD Bluetooth® Radio with NAV $950

This also includes XM radio.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As listed on the window sticker I have this option:

8.8-Inch AM / FM / HD Bluetooth® Radio with NAV $950

This also includes XM radio.
Chipps -- I'm guessing that you have a Giulia Ti. The Ti includes the 8.8" non-nav radio as standard equipment, so you only have the $950 MSRP bump to add navigation and Sirius satellite radio.

On the base Giulia you have a standard 6.5" display with two optional 8.8" infotainment systems:

The $500 option includes the 8.8" AM/FM/HD/BT radio, without navigation and SiriusXM
The $1,900 option includes the 8.8" AM/FM/HD/BT/SiriusXM/Navigation radio.

I have not seen any upgrade path for nav to be added to the non-nav 8.8" display. I do believe that there is a 6.5" display with nav (but no SXM, 3D maps, etc.) but I have yet to see this radio on a single car in stock in the Midwest.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I think the Nav unit is a seperate option/upgrade from the radio options. I ordered both, the Nav and the radio upgrade, not that that helps you any.

A lot of this depends on the specific Giulia level you start with. The base has different options than the Ti, which has different option than the Quad.

Have you talked to your local dealer yet?

I am looking at the configuretor right now. It is kind of confusing.

- The base Giulia: The base radio does not have a nav. The detailed descriptions say that all three radio upgrades include a nav. The titles reflects a difference of opinion.

- The Ti: Is easier to follow. Two radio choices, one with nav, one without. And a Harmon Kardon upgrade that enhances either radio.

- The Quad: One radio with or without the Harmon Kardon upgrade.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chipps -- I'm guessing that you have a Giulia Ti. The Ti includes the 8.8" non-nav radio as standard equipment, so you only have the $950 MSRP bump to add navigation and Sirius satellite radio.

On the base Giulia you have a standard 6.5" display with two optional 8.8" infotainment systems:

The $500 option includes the 8.8" AM/FM/HD/BT radio, without navigation and SiriusXM
The $1,900 option includes the 8.8" AM/FM/HD/BT/SiriusXM/Navigation radio.

I have not seen any upgrade path for nav to be added to the non-nav 8.8" display. I do believe that there is a 6.5" display with nav (but no SXM, 3D maps, etc.) but I have yet to see this radio on a single car in stock in the Midwest.
Thanks, Michael, that is what I thought might be the case.

I think the Nav unit is a seperate option/upgrade from the radio options. I ordered both, the Nav and the radio upgrade, not that that helps you any.

A lot of this depends on the specific Giulia level you start with. The base has different options than the Ti, which has different option than the Quad.

Have you talked to your local dealer yet?

I am looking at the configuretor right now. It is kind of confusing.

- The base Giulia: The base radio does not have a nav. The detailed descriptions say that all three radio upgrades include a nav. The titles reflects a difference of opinion.

- The Ti: Is easier to follow. Two radio choices, one with nav, one without. And a Harmon Kardon upgrade that enhances either radio.

- The Quad: One radio with or without the Harmon Kardon upgrade.
As you say, Z, the Configurator is confusing! When I sat down with my dealer to order, his info was the same and we both thought Nav was included in the $500 option. I'm not surprised that it's not, the cost difference implied it. I'm sure I'll find my way, but getting lost and driving around in the Giulia shouldn't be too hard to take!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
As you say, Z, the Configurator is confusing! When I sat down with my dealer to order, his info was the same and we both thought Nav was included in the $500 option. I'm not surprised that it's not, the cost difference implied it. I'm sure I'll find my way, but getting lost and driving around in the Giulia shouldn't be too hard to take!
There are other options that don't include the radio in the car. I've got a very nice and very free SatNav app in my smart phone. Simply called "Navigator". Of course, there's always the old fashion way, use a folding map. Or my wifes approach, ask somebody for directons.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,435 Posts
There are other options that don't include the radio in the car. I've got a very nice and very free SatNav app in my smart phone. Simply called "Navigator". Of course, there's always the old fashion way, use a folding map. Or my wifes approach, ask somebody for directions.
Of course then you're likely to have a long chat about what you're driving. :grin2:

Reactions: Racer Z

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is the 8.8" screen a worthwhile upgrade over the 6.5" version? I will likely only be using CarPlay at all times so don't care about in-house nav or anything else in the lackluster infotainment system.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Pete, just be happy you won’t get Navi, cause it sucks! Slow or no map updates, poor POI configuration, sketchy voice function, weak location accuracy. The 8.8” is a nice size for the area, I would have gone 8.8” over 6.5” if I had that choice...unfortunately, I paid for Navi...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Doesn't waze run via CarPlay now? Really, all car based Navs are worthless now because the phone based apps are all better. I have never once used the nav in my BMW. Manufacturers shouldn't even offer it anymore.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I might be one of the few people out there, but I think that the navigation on the Alfa is excellent.
As a navigation interface, it isn’t “bad”. However, since the most recent maps are of 2016 vintage, it is getting less and less useful in an area that is growing rapidly. Also, it had some really weird ideas of the location of places on streets, a function of its assumption on street numbers, which are wildly inaccurate.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
The Nav is okay and does work but should not be the sole reason to purchase. However, the 8.8” screen is a MUST in my opinion. The smaller screen cuts off about midway through the dash. The larger screen looks a lot more natural and aesthetically pleasing. You can find the 8.8” inch in the base. Alfa does offer the 8.8” in all models as far as I am aware.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts