·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer does not know, map updates?
Free or pay?
How many and for how long?
download or dealer only?
My Mazda came with 3 years free and you download to usb drive to install yourself.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
US site does not list Alfa

·
Registered
10 Posts
On the European site it mentions:
- Alfa Connect NAV 6.5’’ (from beginning of 2017)
- Alfa Connect 3D NAV 8.8’’ (from beginning of 2017)

so it's relatively new....

maybe Alfa on the US site is still to come ?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope so, it just seems that they don't have everything in place yet. Dealer does not have stock or prices for maintenance items. My TI is due in next month and I'm getting cold feet, not wanting to get stuck with a orphan car if Alfa pulls out again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So.... whose Nav system is it in the Giulia? Will it accept the TomTom updates?

Also, supposedly the Sirius subscription includes the traffic feature - but I can't get it to display on the Nav. Any ideas?

My only big comment is that the nav system in my former '12 Mercedes C300 was way easier to, uh, navigate and it was way more user friendly than what I'm experiencing in my Ti...

·
Registered
343 Posts
My Giulia is the first car I've ever owned that had built in Nav. The few times I've used it, it's worked great. Yes, there are too many steps to enter a destination, but beyond that, I think the maps are fine, the directions are good. And, I really like that I can split screen it so I can still see other info on the screen. I have a friend with a Honda Pilot that we've taken on many road trips, and I gotta tell you, for all I hear about how great Japanese cars electronics are, it pretty much sucks. It takes almost as many steps to enter a destination, and, of course no split screen. Wanna change the radio, gotta lose the map. Plus, the Honda's hands-free voice activation system is so frustratingly user unfriendly, you'd be safer taking your hands off the wheel to do everything manually. The Alfa's voice activation works much better (in my opinion).

No car is perfect, but I think my Giulia is pretty great.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Before we took delivery we got to see the car and the technician was downloading a map update. It was connected at the USB connection in between the seats inside the little "glove" box, for lack of a better term. Seems like it's from TomTom, but only way to get one is through the dealer? (The manual notes to get support from a TomTom webpage, and on TomTom's US site seems to note the latest version as of November is in the 1000 range. The version currently installed is 97x.xxx. I'm guessing that means it was a last quarter update that was installed....

I was very happy to see that the map was being updated before delivery. I can't think of any other manufacturer/dealer that does this for their vehicles, at least per personal experience. (I guess Tesla does because hey include 7 years of updates, and can be downloaded directly...)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Map update after delivery? In europe they download and install thru USB. Many times I called Alfa Cares and was given wrong answers or no answers. My ex Mazda3 had 3 years free updates for downloading.
They have no policy yet for this, if anyone knows different please post.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The TomTom link posted above takes you to Europe for updates not USA.

·
Registered
736 Posts
The update was performed before we took delivery, but I think the 9xx update is old, latest is 1xxx. I was thinking of contacting Tom Tom. The European site notes availability of US maps for the Giulia. Hmmm....

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The update was performed before we took delivery, but I think the 9xx update is old, latest is 1xxx. I was thinking of contacting Tom Tom. The European site notes availability of US maps for the Giulia. Hmmm....
Keep us updated, been trying for almost a year on what the policy is, and how to get map updates.

Reactions: rickyp

·
Registered
736 Posts
My dealer told me annual map updates that owner of car pays for. No free updates.

Bad joke, but mine’s a lease....

I have found very little about updates on techauthority.com. There is a dealer Uconnect site with authorized access level to get the download it seems. The NV.002..xxx.043 update requires 4 USBs if starting with NV.001.xxx.xxx because as noted somewhere even the maps get erased. That is likely why the dealer did an update for us, it was necessary.

Might be easier/cheaper to ask a European friend to try to sign up and pay for a US map at the mopar map update store they have.

·
Registered
736 Posts
That’s because you have Alfa Connect. Here that does not exist.... I saw an image screen shot of it, but it required dealer level, and possibly shop forman, level access...

Not only that there is no direction to the Uconnect website address, just reference to it, screen shot of the page and what to select/enter, to prepare a 16GB card for the map. (4 total, 2 of which must be 16 GB USBs for the NV.001 to NV.002 update, 1 16 GB card for the license and map data. You must download the files to the root directory, and not just download the folder to the USB.........). It also noted if you are not able to download, ask your superior/foreman who has higher level access to do it.....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Uconnect is the system that alfa used up to the Giulietta and that is used in the rest of FCA group.

There is no real backend to alfaconnect yet, in europe we can download maps from a mopar page, all the updates are issued via the dealer subscription (this is the same in the us)

I know the update procedure, I was the first to post a manual on this forum.
The only problem is, from the European dealer network I cannot find the US maps for you so you have to contact a dealer for this

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
736 Posts
Uconnect is the system that alfa used up to the Giulietta and that is used in the rest of FCA group.

There is no real backend to alfaconnect yet, in europe we can download maps from a mopar page, all the updates are issued via the dealer subscription (this is the same in the us)

I know the update procedure, I was the first to post a manual on this forum.
The only problem is, from the European dealer network I cannot find the US maps for you so you have to contact a dealer for this

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
I saw US maps are available on the EU Mopar site, but I can not select the US as my country to register/log in. I was just wondering you are not able to purchase the US maps through the site? It would definitely be cheaper through a site than a local dealer. Labor alone would I'm guessing be $175/hr if similar to my local MB dealer....

1 - 20 of 122 Posts