Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody experienced this one? Seems to be directly behind the instrument binnacle, but not any trim I can get to to press on or touch to stop the noise.

It is currently in the dealer this week. Likelihood of finding it and getting it fixed??

·
Registered
399 Posts
that's strange never heard that before, don't know where they would start to solve that. Question for you what year is your car. Asking because I noticed your fuel economy gauge reads correctly that is from 0 moving up toward 75. Mine is the opposite. it starts at 75 and goes backward towards zero. Small thing but has always bugged me. I have a 2017 QV. does anyone know is it just mine or is it a QV thing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
small to none

It's actually very intrusive and completely unacceptable for a brand new car costing £40,000. The fact that it was even caught on a cheap smartphone camera tells you something.

If you've nothing useful to contribute then don't contribute at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's strange never heard that before, don't know where they would start to solve that. Question for you what year is your car. Asking because I noticed your fuel economy gauge reads correctly that is from 0 moving up toward 75. Mine is the opposite. it starts at 75 and goes backward towards zero. Small thing but has always bugged me. I have a 2017 QV. does anyone know is it just mine or is it a QV thing.

It's 2018, 2 months old.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Mine is the same as yours, 2017 Ti, so it’s not just a QV thing.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks. maybe it's a 2017 thing I complained to Alfa about it. they had me take it to the dealer who said its working correctly ? Thought there was a software fix.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Not to be cynical, but other than pressing on the dash and surround, have you eliminated the following:

1) Drivers or passengers seat belt buckle (some people don’t buckle up) rubbing/tapping on the B pillar. That one had me going for a while, and sounds like it’s coming from various places.

2) Depending on where you keep your keys, they can tap like that. Not common if you wear jeans, but some other looser fit pants can allow such noise.

3) Check the small compartment located on the left side of the European/U.S. model steering wheel or the right side of the U.K. model steering wheel. Something rattling in there might be the issue, and some people do keep sunglassses or keys in there.

4) Sunglasses, mini umbrellas or the like on/in the center console or in the door pouch often rattle.

5) Do you wear an ID at work? If I have my ID hanging from my neck during a drive, it makes a sound a bit like that you are hearing as it moves. I couldn’t figure it out for a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Veloce®️;661362 said:
Anybody experienced this one? Seems to be directly behind the instrument binnacle, but not any trim I can get to to press on or touch to stop the noise.

It is currently in the dealer this week. Likelihood of finding it and getting it fixed??

This will be fixed with no problem me thinks...looks like the instruments are lose, they are held in place by 3 screws and one of them might be lose hence this silly sound.....you could actually fix this yourself if you are not afraid to remove the trim below the instruments, you will see screws immediatelly, it could also be one of the cables is banging around in there

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Thanks. maybe it's a 2017 thing I complained to Alfa about it. they had me take it to the dealer who said its working correctly ? Thought there was a software fix.
There was discussion about this last year, there was a change in firmware and consumption meter is flipped around....both are working correctly just display information differently

·
Registered
443 Posts
Veloce[emoji768 said:
;661362]Anybody experienced this one? Seems to be directly behind the instrument binnacle, but not any trim I can get to to press on or touch to stop the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMoBPgVcsOw&feature=youtu.be

:|
I can't hear it but that might be due to my years of shooting things and blowing stuff up!

Creaks and squeeks are notoriously hard to find. The best people to find them are guys that work on high end car audio. Seriously.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not to be cynical, but other than pressing on the dash and surround, have you eliminated the following:

1) Drivers or passengers seat belt buckle (some people don’t buckle up) rubbing/tapping on the B pillar. That one had me going for a while, and sounds like it’s coming from various places.

2) Depending on where you keep your keys, they can tap like that. Not common if you wear jeans, but some other looser fit pants can allow such noise.

3) Check the small compartment located on the left side of the European/U.S. model steering wheel or the right side of the U.K. model steering wheel. Something rattling in there might be the issue, and some people do keep sunglassses or keys in there.

4) Sunglasses, mini umbrellas or the like on/in the center console or in the door pouch often rattle.

5) Do you wear an ID at work? If I have my ID hanging from my neck during a drive, it makes a sound a bit like that you are hearing as it moves. I couldn’t figure it out for a few weeks.

Thanks very much for the input. I've isolated all these possibilities, but if you think of any more do let me know!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This will be fixed with no problem me thinks...looks like the instruments are lose, they are held in place by 3 screws and one of them might be lose hence this silly sound.....you could actually fix this yourself if you are not afraid to remove the trim below the instruments, you will see screws immediatelly, it could also be one of the cables is banging around in there

I'm holding onto your reply with lots of hope! I'm convinced that instrument binnacle is to blame, and obviously it should be able to come out without doing too much disruption to the dash...

I am expecting to get a call today, so I will let you know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't hear it but that might be due to my years of shooting things and blowing stuff up!

Creaks and squeeks are notoriously hard to find. The best people to find them are guys that work on high end car audio. Seriously.

They sure are. And one thing I've learned is your ears can tell you a noise is definitely coming from a certain place, only to then find out you are completely wrong. Believe me, I know this from years of French car ownership! Good call on the audio fellas though, will bear that in mind.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Veloce[emoji768 said:
;661870]They sure are. And one thing I've learned is your ears can tell you a noise is definitely coming from a certain place, only to then find out you are completely wrong. Believe me, I know this from years of French car ownership! Good call on the audio fellas though, will bear that in mind.
Good luck! Keep us updated!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
In an old thread about how to quiet the turn signal sound a forum member posted how to get the whole instrument pod out. It is not difficult. Checking for loose connectors and/or missing screws may be worthwhile.

Several members reported problems with the binnacle rubbing the leather dashboard and making noise. I think the fix is to put some padding between the right most edge of the binnacle and the dashboard. This problem seems to be specific to the optional leather covered dashboard. I do not recollect if the sound can be altered by putting a hand on the binnacle.

Several forum members reported hearing some kind of accelerometer (side impact, for activating side air bags?) rattle. It is built into the door near the inside door handle if I remember correctly. There is no fix it is just part of the sounds that the car makes. I cannot hear it in my car, but I'm 1/2 deaf (too much Norton Commando and/or bicycling?) and almost always have the sound system on.

Lastly, if you put a card (like a parking key card, credit card, or company badge) on top of the closed cup holder cover, then hit the brakes with any enthusiasm the card will slide into the center console never to be seen again. Said loose card is likely to make some noise as it moves around.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In an old thread about how to quiet the turn signal sound a forum member posted how to get the whole instrument pod out. It is not difficult. Checking for loose connectors and/or missing screws may be worthwhile.

Several members reported problems with the binnacle rubbing the leather dashboard and making noise. I think the fix is to put some padding between the right most edge of the binnacle and the dashboard. This problem seems to be specific to the optional leather covered dashboard. I do not recollect if the sound can be altered by putting a hand on the binnacle.

Several forum members reported hearing some kind of accelerometer (side impact, for activating side air bags?) rattle. It is built into the door near the inside door handle if I remember correctly. There is no fix it is just part of the sounds that the car makes. I cannot hear it in my car, but I'm 1/2 deaf (too much Norton Commando and/or bicycling?) and almost always have the sound system on.

Lastly, if you put a card (like a parking key card, credit card, or company badge) on top of the closed cup holder cover, then hit the brakes with any enthusiasm the card will slide into the center console never to be seen again. Said loose card is likely to make some noise as it moves around.

I shall do a bit of forum searching, thanks! The loaner Giulia they have given me (white diesel Speciale) has the leather dash and it is completely noiseless! The bit about the card disappearing is hilarious...until it happens to you...

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
@OP unrelated sorry but you have a Veloce and I rented one here in Italy my question is do they sound like diesels on start up??? Found that odd
As far as your plastics noise I have not experienced that on my Q.V. but it would annoy the crap out of me
I think there was someone here who experienced that not with a Veloce but a Ti

1 - 20 of 30 Posts